In my new issue of Total Guitar there is a lesson by Newton Faulkner which is in DGDGAD tuning and involves using only one hand to play notes. The problem im having is when i do this i can hear more than one note and they clash. Is it a problem with my guitar or my playing?

Thanks

Matt
Tokai love rock les paul
Vintage V99 les paul
Squire Strat
Peavy Raptor
Ibanez sgt130 acoustic j200
Digitech EX-7 expression pedal
Behringer acoustic modeler
Orange crush 3
Vox AD30VT
Quote by mdlizard
In my new issue of Total Guitar there is a lesson by Newton Faulkner which is in DGDGAD tuning and involves using only one hand to play notes. The problem im having is when i do this i can hear more than one note and they clash. Is it a problem with my guitar or my playing?

Thanks

Matt

it's pretty much always the playing.
but what do you really mean? are you talking about tapping only with the left hand?
if so you could dampen the strings with your right hand on the frets beneath what you're playing. and also, you should play it slower, you're probably 'chording' the notes instead of playing one at a time.
cant do that becuase i need o play thing with my right too
Tokai love rock les paul
Vintage V99 les paul
Squire Strat
Peavy Raptor
Ibanez sgt130 acoustic j200
Digitech EX-7 expression pedal
Behringer acoustic modeler
Orange crush 3
Vox AD30VT
Put a hairband over the neck to dampen the strings if you need your right hand free. Other than that, you'll just have to be very careful and accurate when tapping with your left.
ah you mean two handed tapping then?
well you really just gotta practice stuff one hand at a time. and then when you feel that you're playing both hands well, try and play them at the same time.
I know what you're talking about, and I think i figured it out.

Play a string, there's the part of the string you want vibrating, and that runs over the sound hole. However, when you tap, that part vibrates, but so does the other part of the string. I only get that problem on my acoustic, so I figured that's the issue you're talking about. I'm not sure how to explain it well...
Quote by JakdOnCrack
I know what you're talking about, and I think i figured it out.

Play a string, there's the part of the string you want vibrating, and that runs over the sound hole. However, when you tap, that part vibrates, but so does the other part of the string. I only get that problem on my acoustic, so I figured that's the issue you're talking about. I'm not sure how to explain it well...

i know what you mean. i only hear that when tapping on 'acoustic' electric (unplugged)
whenever i tapped on acoustic, i never heard that... and those were pretty ****y acoustics so i don't think it was the guitar quality. i've also checked vids of guys tapping on acoustic, and i've never heard that from them, so i don't know... it's probably him playing badly...
Quote by gonzaw
I hate those overtones

At least when trying to tap, sounds aweful...

Overtones aren't very helpful when it comes to stringed instruments; especially when tapping on an acoustic guitar.

I will say, as a bassoonist, that the overtone series is the greatest thing on the planet. Without it, the bassoon would need another 30 keys.
Quote by RCalisto
i know what you mean. i only hear that when tapping on 'acoustic' electric (unplugged)
whenever i tapped on acoustic, i never heard that... and those were pretty ****y acoustics so i don't think it was the guitar quality. i've also checked vids of guys tapping on acoustic, and i've never heard that from them, so i don't know... it's probably him playing badly...

take your finger and hammer on the 12th fret on the high e string without picking and hold it down, only the hammer-on. You'll hear what i mean. You'll here an E(the note you want to play, from the part over the sound hole) and and F(the part of the string over frets 1 - 11)

Since their both unamplified, they basically have the same volume, making it clash as such. I think that's what TS is talking about