I posted ages ago, and I'm STILL looking or a new amp. I figured now that I have a job, I'll spend a little more, and pass on the AD50VT hybrid failure and go full tube.

I have read through every thread that came up in the search here, and most of it was quite helpful. I have a few questions though

1) I live in Australia, and thus, will get THOROUGHLY, raped on the price. I think they are advertised here for about $967 AUS, which is probably about 900 US. I understand they retail for 600 in the US? Or 700. Any tips on how much I could get off the price (fellow aussies?). I'm not sure what to do in a situation where we are paying almost double.

2) I play, acoustic guitar, radiohead, muse, I really want to learn blues and such, beatles, classic rock I guess, The vines, the living end, bands like that. A bit of the Killers as well. I also like the strokes. You get the idea. Will this amp suit those?

3) I read it doesn't take to pedals very kindly? I have a Boss DS2, will it sound like ****? I also have an RC2 loop station, I assume that will be fine though. Is it worth getting a tube screamer? eg: One o those TS808 ones?

4) First tube amp. I know nothing about them other than warming them up. Should I change the stock tubes? When do I get it serviced? How long does it usually take to need it?

5) Is it worth getting the celestion speaker? I hear yes it is. That will probably push the price +1000 though.

Thanks a lot guys I'm most concerned about it's gain, if I wanted to play something slightly heavier. Not Metal or anything, just classic rock.
Quote by sashki
A lot of pros do that: if they play a wrong note, they'll hit it again to make it look as if it's intentional. It's called "jazz", aparently.
How much are classic 30's there?

EDIT: totally missed the title of the thread lol.

2. Yes.

4. You replace the tubes only when they're dying. Unless you want to buy really good tubes to begin with to replace the stock ones.
Last edited by beadhangingOne at Aug 7, 2008,
1) The best way to get a better price on something is to buy it used.

2) The amp should suit that, but I haven't personally tried it.

3)If classic rock is as heavy as you go, I doubt you'll want to use that DS2 regardless of whether it takes the pedal well or not. It would be worth getting some sort of tubescreamer or TS clone to use rather than your Boss pedal, but you may not even need that. Try the amp first to make sure it doesn't have plenty of gain on tap, which I'm guessing it does.

4) You don't need to change the stock tubes. I'm sure they'll be just fine for now. The tubes could 2 or 3 years, depending on how much and how loud you play the amp. You can expect them to last a year at the shortest, usually.

5) Look at how much the Celestion costs by itself versus how much it costs to upgrade to the amp with the Celestion. It may be cheaper to do the speaker swap yourself. Or you may be just fine with the stock speaker. It's worth trying out.
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
It does classic rock perfectly. I can get great steppenwolf / jimi / acdc tones with mine. It is very responsive to picking dynamics. You prob want a pedal for heavier stuff, and I am in the market for one. The tubes and speaker that come sound pretty good to me, I guess youd' have to try out a blue to see fi you like the difference.
GEAR

VOX AC15 / AC4
Fender MIM Sunburst Strat
epiphone les paul custom in white
Yamaha FG730s
The Tweak-O fuzz pedal
the celestion blue is oh so worth it...

the regular vox speaker isn't bad though, i started out with that and changed it out later
Guitars: Les paul standard faded(wcr crossroad pickups), SG special(wcr crossroads) Roadhouse strat, G&L ASAT, Mahogany Strat (P90 and SD JB)

Amps: Vox AC-15 w/celestion blue, Vox AC-4tv, Orange tiny terror head, Ampeg Reverberrocket.
If you are going to use pedals for dirt, you will have a hard time. I had one and it was way to bright. The brightness cap over the volume control totally kills pedals. If you aren't afraid of playing around inside of amps, swapping the brightness cap for something smaller (the stock is 120pf, something between 20 and 80 should be perfect depending on what guitars you play). If not, I would definitely try it out somewhere first to make sure it works with your pedals.
If they retail for 6 or 7 hundred US and cost about $900 here thats one of the 'least' marked up amps in our market. Any US$500-750 amp that catches my eye always turns out to be around 2 grand locally.
Thanks for all the replies. To answer some questions:

I can't buy it second hand at least everywhere I've looked, ebay, trading post etc... I think I'm going to have a had time finding it NEW with the celestion speaker in it.

I was thinking about selling my DS2 and getting a tubescreamer. I had just heard it doesn't work too well. I haven't seen how "dirty" these amps can go. I DO want some crunch, but nothing over the top.
Quote by sashki
A lot of pros do that: if they play a wrong note, they'll hit it again to make it look as if it's intentional. It's called "jazz", aparently.
Just rang around then. Half of the suppliers listed don't exist anymore :P

One guy said he could do the amp or 900 or better, with the stock speaker. He didn't have the other.

One store said they weren't getting anymore in, ever. I then rang the same store, but in a different location and he said they were. So, who knows what's going on there.

One guy said he had them on special, with the Celestion speaker for 1500, and he can do better than that. He wouldn't say how much, just said to come in and "it will be worth it". I hate that.

Any tips on haggling? I'm terrible at it.
Quote by sashki
Just tell him right from the start that you only have 1100 (or however much you're willing to pay at most) and stick to that. If he can do it for 1100, you've got yourself a bargain. If not, well leave and buy somewhere else.
Thanks for the reply. Only one problem. There is nowhere else lol. Hopefully he doesn't know that. There's only 3 or so places in my state that sell these amps and he's the only one that has with the blue celestion speaker.
Quote by sashki
its not gonna handle new stuff like muse easily at all but is practically created for classic rock.
Muse, isn't really a big deal. That's a bit of a stretch to ask :P But as long as it has a good radiohead tone I'm pretty happy.

SRV as well, maybe with a tube screamer.
Quote by sashki
Thanks for that link! I'm confused. I think I was needing to get the alnico speaker. That's the better one isn't it? I'm in Victoria...I wonder if they ship. I'll check it out thanks.
Quote by sashki