You know those marshall heads or mesa heads you see on to of the stacks all the time? what are they? how do they work? and I've seen people buy them and use them on these smaller amps that dont really have any knobs from what I can see, whats up with that?
Quote by SamuelBirkett
wtf r u say make no sensical

SAVE THE MUDKIPS
How about you read the FAQ? It's in there somewhere.

You're used to seeing combo amps, which have the circuitry and speaker in one convenient package. If you were to separate the circuitry and knobs, and speaker, respectively, you would get a head and a cabinet with however many speakers you want. mostly, 2x12 or 4x12.

Does that answer your question??
A combo amp is essentially a head and a cab built into each other. But if you go professional or want enough watts to blow babies up, youll get a head and a cab.
More headroom, better sound (unless you get ****ty marshall low budget halfstacks)
yea. thats basically it.
LIFE IS TOO SHORT NOT TO LET YOUR MIND SPREAD WINGS AND TAKE FLIGHT

Quote by KeepOnRotting
+Infinity. This dude knows good metal.
^They don't necessarily have more headroom or better sound at all. Headroom has to do with the amp. A Fender Twin combo has more headroom than nearly any stack you'll see. Same goes for the "better sound." A combo can sound just as good as a stack, it's just that stacks offer some extra flexibility, easy addition of speakers, and some amps only come in a head form.
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
Hold up here, now I get it head = amp + speakers = louder whew, now what's a good brand of speakers to get for a head that isn't a huge frikken cabinet? (cheapness is a plus)
Quote by SamuelBirkett

SAVE THE MUDKIPS
The head is an amp. The cab is a box of speakers. A combo (what you think of when you think "amp"), is the head part, or amp, and the speakers in one box. If you go buy a head, then you must buy a cab. It doesn't have to be 4x12. It can be 1x12. I assume this is what you mean you say "average sized" amp? They're just smaller cabs.

EDIT: Your equation makes no sense, first off. Do you have a head that you need a cab for?

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
Ohhh! man thank you so much! that makes SOOO much more sense!
Quote by SamuelBirkett

SAVE THE MUDKIPS
^

Quote by ibz_bucket

Quote by tubetime86