I was wondering why the Jaguar/Jazzmaster's tremolo system is the most popular in shoegaze, surf and other tremolo loving music? Kevin Shields, the Tremolo Master (tm) from My Bloody Valentine, swears by it.

I have a PRS SE Custom myself and I love the tremolo system: it's also a floating bridge mechanism and very expressive, but I think it does not have enough reach (2 semitones up, 3 down perhaps?). Does the Jazzmaster have more reach?

Also, why are Floyd Rose systems not adored in shoegaze, surf etc?
Quote by MyraT
I was wondering why the Jaguar/Jazzmaster's tremolo system is the most popular in shoegaze, surf and other tremolo loving music? Kevin Shields, the Tremolo Master (tm) from My Bloody Valentine, swears by it.

I have a PRS SE Custom myself and I love the tremolo system: it's also a floating bridge mechanism and very expressive, but I think it does not have enough reach (2 semitones up, 3 down perhaps?). Does the Jazzmaster have more reach?

They don't do light vibrato very well, they're much better at divebombs, squeals, and flutters.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
The Jazzmaster bridge is extrememly light and easy to manipulate, it works brilliantly if you're wanting to create shimmery, unstable soundscapes...arguably the Floyd system is too controlled.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by MyraT

well, the original 'shoegazing' fad (bands like My Bloody Valentine, Slowdive, Chapterhouse, maybe Curve too etc) was very much an indie thing... NME, students, floppy fringes etc... Floyd Rose systems were just not part of that world...

Floyd Rose's were associated with heavy metal musicians, pointy fluorescent guitars (BC Rich's, Charvels etc) and working class sweaty denim-clad types... so they might have been great for shoegazing music but the indie snobbery effectively ruled that out... it's a fashion thing
Quote by inflatablefilth
well, the original 'shoegazing' fad (bands like My Bloody Valentine, Slowdive, Chapterhouse, maybe Curve too etc) was very much an indie thing... NME, students, floppy fringes etc... Floyd Rose systems were just not part of that world...

Floyd Rose's were associated with heavy metal musicians, pointy fluorescent guitars (BC Rich's, Charvels etc) and working class sweaty denim-clad types... so they might have been great for shoegazing music but the indie snobbery effectively ruled that out... it's a fashion thing

+1
Jackson DK2M Dinky Pro W/ EMG 81/85 18v Black
ESP LTD EC-1000 W/ EMG 81/60 See Thru Blue
Schecter C-1 HellRaiser W/ EMG 81TW/89 Black Cherry
Peavey 6505 W/ 2x12 V30
Maybe they just like the Jazzmaster's sound? It certainly produces an appropriate sound for surf music.

The Jazzmaster's tremolo was originally intended to be better than the Strat's tremolo, but history showed otherwise.