Im looking for a guitar that i can just mess around with
but not too cheap-sounding for my bro who's just learning

i have the idea stuck in my head that all squiers are just below fender MIM and they are for starter to sub-intermediate guitarists at best

but i've heard some good things about their vintage modified and classic vibe series
(they're still kinda iffy b/c they still cost less then 300 from musician's friend)

so how do they compare to fender MIM these days? a brand new v.m or c.v's prices are pretty much the same as used MIM fenders so i wanna know which would be a better choice
They're not bad, VM and CV series. I haven't heard much bad about any of those guitars.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Having played all of them in a shop once (except for the Classic Vibe's) they sounded and felt quite similar.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
really??? i wonder why MIMs cost like $150 more than those.....
basically it's comparing high-end squiers and low-end fender i guess;
Yup it is.

Maybe try them, they may feel completley different to you.

And it actually might motovate you/your brother to play if it says 'Fender' on the top, for some reason, silly things like that actually do things a tad unexpected.
Cam Sampbell's my hero
i'd have thought when it comes to the top-of-the-range squiers and the bottom-of-the-range fenders, really you're paying the extra $150 for the fender logo. And this is coming from someone who regularly plays a fender MIM standard strat

i actually think that since the '06 "upgrade" to the fender standard series, the higher end squiers have been better playing guitars.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.