Well, first you ought to lower the guitar an octave, then experiment with different pickup positions and EQ settings.

There is a plugin I have that acts as a virtual bass amp, I think it's called helian bass amp or something, google that and you should get it. I know this isnt exactly what you're looking for, but if you use it on the octave-shifted guitar it may help.
Lots of Recording software allow you to lower your recorded sound an octave or more. Mixcraft and Cool Edit Pro are 2 that i use when i want an octave sound on a solo.
Or for the money you would spend on a software package or stomp box or whatever... go to a pawn shop or a used music store and buy a bass! I got mine for $100. It's not an awesome bass, but it beats the pants off any processing that can be applied to a guitar.

Your criteria is basically "any old bass guitar that feels okay to play and will stay in tune for at least 10 minutes at a time..."

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Actually, yeah, a cheap bass is probably your best bet. I got a broken one of a mate for £15 (cheap I know, its not too bad either), fixing it and buying strings cost about a further £20. So look around.
Quote by axemanchris
It's not an awesome bass, but it beats the pants off any processing that can be applied to a guitar.

This is absolutely correct.
amplitube has some

but you want a real bass
trust mee...
Fender H Stratocaster USA.
SX P90 Mahogany Hawk
Gibson Les Paul Studio Double Cut

Delta Labs Tube Driver
Hardwire SC-2 Valve Distortion
Delta Labs Stereo Chorus
TC Nova Repeater
Korg Pitchblack Tuner Ped

Fender Super Champ XD
Yep, get a cheap bass.

I just did the same thing. I just spent $115 for an Epi Bass. Its fun to switch over to the dark side and play the bass, even if it is just for recording. I did feel a little guilty, however, spending money on something else other than a guitar.
A guitarist will spend money on guitars. A musician will spend money on musical instruments.

CT

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Quote by axemanchris
A guitarist will spend money on guitars. A musician will spend money on musical instruments.

CT

Ah..... nice! I like that! Can I use that?
Any time....

CT

Quote by sam i am
Well, first you ought to lower the guitar an octave, then experiment with different pickup positions and EQ settings.

There is a plugin I have that acts as a virtual bass amp, I think it's called helian bass amp or something, google that and you should get it. I know this isnt exactly what you're looking for, but if you use it on the octave-shifted guitar it may help.

thats what I do to get it, just lower it an octave and switch around, try diffrent settings
i am axel rose
Quote by axemanchris
Or for the money you would spend on a software package or stomp box or whatever... go to a pawn shop or a used music store and buy a bass! I got mine for $100. It's not an awesome bass, but it beats the pants off any processing that can be applied to a guitar.

Your criteria is basically "any old bass guitar that feels okay to play and will stay in tune for at least 10 minutes at a time..."

CT

This is absolutely your best bet. All you need is a bass plugged directly into your interface. Then use Helians 1st or 2nd bass (free vsts) to add flavor. Wroks wonerfully. Helians is free but difficult to find. If you go this route and need a copy of it PM me and I'll hook you up.

DS
Irrelevant quote from obscure person
Obnoxious statement regarding size of e-ween
Italicized text indicating bandwagoning masquerading as deep thought
ASCII graphic that will take over the world if you put one in your signature
Made up statistic
well if you want a box, i think it is jack white of the white stripes that uses something like that. its in the song seven nation army. i dont know the name of the box though.
Quote by burrit0
Say your friend was high and doesn't know what he's talking about.
Quote by WtrPlyr
Is there any program or plugin for Gearbox that I can use to make my guitar sound like a bass? Because I don't want to buy a bass for the times I want to record some basslines. Thanks

Best way to go is to get a cheap bass guitar and learn to use it. You can find them on Craigslist and Eaby all the time for great deals.
However if you are cheap like me you can use an octave patch or pedal on your guitar or even use a keyboard. My Yamaha Magicstomp and PSR340 both do a good job but I tend to use my guitar and magicstomp, theres something about that actual guitar that makes a better sound compared to the 8 year old keyboard...
Last edited by moody07747 at Aug 12, 2008,
Then again.... the samples in HalionOne that come with Cubase are better than what I get with my real bass...

Ever think of using a sampler and programming it in a midi track?

CT