I'm going to be building my second guitar from scratch pretty soon. I haven't decided on much except the basic body/neck configuration and the pickup arrangement.

Here's the specs so far:

Gibson Firebird shaped body made of Ash or Alder
24 3/4" scale
My original shaped 6 inline headstock (can't decide on reverse or normal)
Maple neck with rosewood or ebony fingerboard
HSH pickup configuration
Seymour Duncan P-Rails in the neck and bridge
Possibly SD Hotrails in the middle (should make interesting pickup selections)

The body shape will be slightly modified, but based heavily on the firebird shape. I plan to make it more playable. (don't like the way a firebird sits in my lap)

I haven't decided on the paint job yet. If I do an ash body, I'm thinking of putting a transparent color over dark grain filler so the grain shows through but its flat.

If I do an alder body, maybe a solid color.

What do you guys think of the pickup configuration? P-rails and Hotrails might be pretty cool. I could wire in some switches to run the P-90's, the rails, and select front rails, back rails... or everything at once.

Give me your opinions/ideas.
All my photobucket pics are dead so no links to my guitar build threads.
My Music
sounds good man. I like the idea of the switches to run the pickups (i'm a knobs and switches person ) And I would go for the transparent color.
Best of luck and whatever you do...post pics!
A man said to the universe:
"Sir, I exist!"
"However," replied the universe,
"The fact has not created in me
A sense of obligation."

STOP MODERN DAY SLAVERY
The ash paint job sounds cool. I was looking at your profile and I noticed you had your birthday as 1999. Are you really nine?
Bari Build

_\_\ll/_/_
__\ _ /__
___ \/ ___

Nah, I'm 32 this month.

Oh yeah, also need to decide on the hardware color.
My Music
I love Firebirds... Pics?
Gear:
Schecter Hellraiser Deluxe
Boss DS-1
Crate GTD65

GAS List:
Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster
I haven't started building it yet.

I've been meaning to post a thread about the build of my first guitar... but its a ton of pics so I've been lazy.

Aww hell, I'm about to post a new thread about it. Tons of pics to come.
My Music
Last edited by zeroyon at Aug 7, 2008,
If you're not set on the headstock, how about a 4 on 2?
Founder of UG's David Bowie Fan Club. Pm to join.

Founder of UG's "Rockers against being freakishly skinny" Club. PM to join.
I considered that, actually. White with black... I've always love that look. Maybe a black pickguard, too. (you know, the little firebird one)

The headstock I'm definitely going to do a 6 inline. The reason being, when I look at the gibson RD, I love the body... but think that the Gibson 3x3 headstock looks stupid on it. The straight headstock just flows better with the shape.

For my next build after this one, I plan to do a 3x3 or even a 4x2. I'd love to build a bass thats 4x1. I've always loved that one odd tuner hanging out there.
My Music
Quote by zeroyon
I considered that, actually. White with black... I've always love that look. Maybe a black pickguard, too. (you know, the little firebird one)

The headstock I'm definitely going to do a 6 inline. The reason being, when I look at the gibson RD, I love the body... but think that the Gibson 3x3 headstock looks stupid on it. The straight headstock just flows better with the shape.

For my next build after this one, I plan to do a 3x3 or even a 4x2. I'd love to build a bass thats 4x1. I've always loved that one odd tuner hanging out there.

Yup definitely with the black pickguard and the 6 inline headstock.
That would be sick!
baby blue with a diamond f-hole
[IMG]http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y5/Fuzzycows5157/canada.bmp[/IMG]
Quote by Fuzzycows5157
baby blue with a diamond f-hole

The F-hole would probably hard because you'd have to make it a semi-hollow guitar. I'm not to keen on the color either... Go with black, a white racing stripe across the length of the body, and all black hardware?
Gear:
Schecter Hellraiser Deluxe
Boss DS-1
Crate GTD65

GAS List:
Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster
Yeah, this is going to be a solid body... with no top on it. Just one type of wood and nothing out of the ordinary.

I'm not going to do the neck through with the lip that runs along the sides of the bridge/pickups/etc... this one will be more like a Firebird Studio model, slab body.

I like the racing stripe idea... even white with black would be wicked.
My Music
if you did it with two racing stripes and had the outside edges of the stripes lined up where the lip would be on a neck-through it'll give the illusion of having that lip without actually having it, something to think about. i've always thought a gloss black firebird with gold hardware looks beautiful, and was gonna suggest that until i saw your squire '51 refinish... as a result i have to +1 the ice blue suggestion, take a look at this sg (its the "inspired by elliot easton model so its a lefty but you get the idea)
So basically this?

With racing stripes? I think it could only hold one stripe on the upper side... with the pickguard on the lower side. Otherwise I'd have a stripe interfering with the pickguard.

Or I could leave the pickguard off.

I don't think I would use that ice blue... maybe I'd do a trans blue on swamp ash with dark grain filler... that would give it some depth. That with a solid black stripe might go really well.

Decisions decisions.
My Music
green. green guitars are awesome, and no one ever makes any. besides, when was the last time someone made a green firebird?
'15 Fender Modern Player Tele
'88 MIK Squier Strat
'06 Ibanez RG5EX1
Peavey Vypyr 75

Currently GASing for: Orange TH30C
This the one you're talking about??

Very nice. I'm not putting a top on this guitar, though. It's going to be a slab body.. one type of wood.
My Music
Quote by rednwhiteblues
if you did it with two racing stripes and had the outside edges of the stripes lined up where the lip would be on a neck-through it'll give the illusion of having that lip without actually having it, something to think about. i've always thought a gloss black firebird with gold hardware looks beautiful, and was gonna suggest that until i saw your squire '51 refinish... as a result i have to +1 the ice blue suggestion, take a look at this sg (its the "inspired by elliot easton model so its a lefty but you get the idea)

ZOMG WHAT IS THAT BEAUTIFUL LEFTIE SG!!

edit: wow i want that, just need to sell some serious harcore drugs first... can anyone lend me a speedboat and a map of columbia?
Last edited by lefthandman9876 at Aug 8, 2008,
I want to buy one of these RD's:

But I hate the headstock on there.

I've considered painting mine something like that... but maybe that syle suits that body shape better. (modded firebird shape)

I'm thinking I will adjust the shape of mine until it fits somewhere in a mix of these two shapes, with some of my own personal design thrown in.

For the headstock, I'm thinking of reversing my original design:

But I plan to paint the neck. It will be a tilt-back headstock. I might possibly paint it black with the rosewood fingerboard.
My Music
What if I was to do an almost natural finish on it with black grain filler and a black racing stripe on the upper side?
My Music
Blue, like Dave Grohls.

Then with all black hardware, ebony/rosewood neck, and a normal, black, headstock.
Fender Jaguar
Morley PVO +
TC Polytune
Fulltone Ultimate Octave
Boss DS2
Blackstar HT-40
Digitech Timebender
TC Trinity

(offboard; Whammy IV, Crybaby 535Q, Digitech RP100A)
i like the natural idea with the racing stripe, depending on what wood you plan on using. maybe black hardware, but i would usually lean towards chrome with a natural body. i love your headstock design, good idea reversing it.
Thanks, I think it will look good reversed on a firebird style body.

I have a bunch of black hardware already just laying around... not sure which guitar I was going to use it on, but I bought it anyway knowing it would land on something eventually. Maybe I'll put it all on the 'bird.

Last night someone suggested I get airbrushing done to put the entire 1970's style Pontiac Firebird logo on the body. Maybe overlapping the edges, like as if the guitar was cut from the large image.

It would be pretty wild.. maybe even just a cool picture of a phoenix done like that, and not necessarily the Pontiac logo.

Funny idea, but could turn out pretty cool
My Music