I'm having problems focusing on doing technique practice and stuff like that. Learning songs and then jamming to the track is fine for me, but I find it really hard to sit there for more than 5 minutes focusing on technique work before my concentration lapses and I go and do something else. So I was wondering how you guys find the motivation to do the practice, and how you can stay focused and concentrated and not 'burn out' and go do something else.
sig goes here
this is something i have problems with too
i dont really practise anything anymore =\
i just kinda play things & try making up new stuff, but its hard when you dont really know any theory or how things work, i just play around with things until i think they sound good
ah..well i just do whatever i want, i don't really focus on one thing for more then 10 min.
blahblahblah
whenever you lose motivation just go to youtube and check out some videos of other guys playing. it sure helps a lot.
Quote by RCalisto
whenever you lose motivation just go to youtube and check out some videos of other guys playing. it sure helps a lot.

Nah, doesn't quite work for me. I listen to Michael Romeo play, and I'm like wow that's so awesome, then I try to play, and realize I suck, and I get depressed...
sig goes here
Go see ****ty bands in bars (assuming your 21) nothing gets me more motivated to play than seeing a live band, and realizing they're all just drunk losers that practice way too much.

Also don't force yourself to do anything. Have fun playing and it will show.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Thanks guys. That stuff looks good, especially that last link. I'll definitely read more of these tomorrow and try and work it into my practicing.
sig goes here
Some days im like that and others I sit there for hours working on one thing it varies for me. I like to get a little buzz on and relax it makes me more focused/patient. Being in hte right mood is key for me.
Make a practice schedule, and plan to do certain things for short amounts of time. Start as small as you need to - for instance, say that you want to practice scales. Plan to do that for 5 minutes and then do it. A lot of the time you'll end up doing more than you planned. Do the same for other stuff. Remember than 5 minutes of focused practice a couple times a day will get you farther than an hour of unfocused "practice," i.e. noodling around.
Quote by guitar_god22

thats about south africa tho...which isnt poor at all.
Quote by RyanInChains9
yea venezula is just the richest country in the world...
Being a new guitarist, I'm still in that 'OMG! I got an electric guitar! Now I can play TTFAF!' phase. I practice every few days, for as many as five hours at a time. although sometimes (rarely) I stay up all night playing
"Dude, you gotta pull an "Axl Rose" on them.
Tell them it's your band, if they don't like it, they can get in line and kiss your ass." ~pablo_arg
Quote by Ulciroa
Being a new guitarist, I'm still in that 'OMG! I got an electric guitar! Now I can play TTFAF!' phase. I practice every few days, for as many as five hours at a time. although sometimes (rarely) I stay up all night playing

dude! it's NOT a good thing to not rest! it's the worst thing you could do. you NEED to have good amounts of rest in order for you brain to memorize everything correctly, and quicker (playing guitar, and everything in music is pretty much that. memorize)
it's pretty good to play for 5 hours, but rest is one of the most important things about guitar practice. you should at least sleep those recommended 8 hours (they don't recommend that randomly you know.
Quote by Skater901
So I was wondering how you guys find the motivation to do the practice, and how you can stay focused and concentrated and not 'burn out' and go do something else.

It's more of a mindset than anything else, I can try pointing you in the right direction,
but mostly you'll have to discover the mindset on your own.

There's 2 key ingredients: patience, and stop caring about results.

I think most people are SO focused on the end result -- playing well in front of
1000's of screaming fans -- that they completely botch the perfect practice mindset
from the getgo. They gloss over stuff, practice mistakes, practice too fast, get
frustrated ... all in attempt to shorten the time to the end result. But, all that does
is lengthen the time (probably to infinity).

When you give up caring how long something will take to learn, or even if you'll
ever learn it, that kind of takes all the pressure off to show any result. That gives
you the relaxation and proper focus on the here and now and what are all the
little things you can do NOW to improve. This gives you patience and when you
practice like that you get better. When you get better, you ENJOY practicing more.
So it's a positive feedback loop.
why even bother if it's a hastle? i'd stop playing the moment i lost interest. but i love the feeling i get when i pick my guitar up. i think she smiles back.
Play something new. Practice should always be fun. Remember, you're just getting better! Life is all about attitude. You can only be happy and motivated if you let yourself be happy and motivated.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
After watching the guitar greats do their thing, I was determined to be able to do what they do, and it was addicting of course.