So I ran into some problems when wiring my guitar last night. Where does the ground wire go? I know on the volume pot but which solder joint? Also does it matter which wire connects to each pin of the input jack?
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7
I don't know how to count canadians, the metric system is hard

Quote by gregs1020
well if lbj pokes his head in here and there's no nuts shit's gonna go doooooooowwwwwwwwwn.

{Pedalboard Thread Native: The Muffin Man}
Last edited by lbj273 at Aug 7, 2008,
that postage stamp sized image is for all intents and purposes, meaningless.

try uploading a larger image to photobucket or some other image host.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
I did a google search for ya and found a site that might be helpful. Tho, you have to be somewat familiar with how wiring diagrams work. Anyway, here's the site. http://www.1728.com/guitar.htm

Edit: Also, as SomeoneYouKnew said, your pic is a lil small. I can't really tell wat it is you did. So, maybe try a bigger pic?
The red and blue circles are the 2 solder joints on the volume pot, which one do I need to solder the ground wire to?
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7

Quote by gregs1020
well if lbj pokes his head in here and there's no nuts shit's gonna go doooooooowwwwwwwwwn.

Either, they are both connected aren't they? If they are both just soldered to the back of the pot then either of them.
ok, does it matter which pin of the output jack each wire is connected too?
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7

Quote by gregs1020

Quote by lbj273
ok, does it matter which pin of the output jack each wire is connected too?
it matters a ton.

when you look at the jack, you'll be able to see what each of the lugs are connected to.
one lug will be connected to the "bushing" that's called the sleeve. that one must be wired to the ground of the guitar.

the other lug will be connected to a long piece of metal that comes in contact with the tip of the plug when it's inserted. that one will connect to the center lug of your volume control.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
I dont know what to do. I tried both wires to both pins of the output jack and I got the ground wire soldered but i cant get any sound out of the guitar.
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7

Quote by gregs1020

If the wiring was in focus, rather than the wood in the background, and most of the pot wasn't obliterated by a big red and blue circle, it'd be much easier to see what is going on.

Most of that wiring looks stock to me - so what were you actually doing that caused this?
It is stock wiring. It came out of a different guitar and it worked in that guitar. I am trying to put it into a new guitar and it wont work. I soldered the ground wire to the back of the volume pot. I tried soldering the inputs jack both ways, and still nothing.
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7

Quote by gregs1020

I can't see it very well, so this is just a guess. The single green cable coming from your humbucker probably contains a covered wire and a bare wire. The covered wire should be connected to the selector and the bare to ground. It looks to me like both may be connected to the selector.