Page 1 of 5

All my photobucket pics are dead so no links to my guitar build threads.
My Music
Last edited by zeroyon at Aug 12, 2008,

Thats it for the practice neck, more pics coming in a minute
My Music
man, i don't understand how they can say "everyone screws up their first neck" when it's obviously untrue looking at the results of your practice neck right there. that looks great, its just too bad you couldn't have spent that time making a real neck instead of one that can't be used... can't wait to see what else you've done!
Here's my body design. I had to draw it out the hard way, measuring everything precisely. I did that same for the neck, just didn't have a pic of my plan to post.

Template:

Neck on template:

Mahogany:

hidden chambers to reduce weight:

My Music
Flamed maple top:

kerf lines so it can bend over the forearm comfort cut:

My Music
Last edited by zeroyon at Aug 7, 2008,
My neck actually came out pretty damn good. The majority of the class made some fatal error, sanding too much, getting wild with the router... etc... It's just good experience to make more than one, anyway.

A lot of this work was done on a mill, not a CNC machine. It's all manually performed.

This stuff can be done without the mill, but when you have it at your disposal... heh heh

Lots more pics in a second.
My Music
I'd eat my kidney to go to an academy like that. Guitar's looking sweet so far.
Quote by lizarday
oh yeah? well larry king the slayer guitarist owns bc rich guitars. (i think)
I wish I had a school like this by me

Awesome work, can't wait to see more
我会关闭我的耳朵,和我的心; 我会变成一个石头
"I will close my ears and my heart and I will be a stone"
What kind of bridge was that? I'd never seen one of those.

Bridge is a Schaller Hardtail. It's available from allparts. It has adjustable string spacing with roller saddles. It's very heavy, and should help with sustain. Two saddles are removed to access the screw holes.

My Music

Now staining the top, grain filling the mahogany (the blue tape is to keep the grain filler off of the maple.. I masked the whole thing off while I worked on that. You can accidentally stain the maple and wind up with a color you don't want)

Spraying a sealer coat on the neck and body:

My Music
Sanded it flat, sprayed on the black burst and top coat.

This needs to be wet sanded and buffed, and its complete.

The neck still needs wet sanding and buffing as well.
My Music
Quote by jm1681
I wish I had a school like this by me

Awesome work, can't wait to see more

People come from all over the world to study at Musicians Institute.

It's a college, and therefore you can get financial aid and everything.
My Music
Married, Job, Bills, etc...

I could barely make it work if the school were IN my house let alone on the other side of the country
我会关闭我的耳朵,和我的心; 我会变成一个石头
"I will close my ears and my heart and I will be a stone"
Yeah, lifes a bitch.

I quit my day job. I decided this is the only way to go. I do repairs to pay the bills, and will hopefully make a buck here and there off of a custom guitar.
My Music
Awesome build!
I can't wait to see more pics

(I love the combination of black/grey burst and full maple neck... It's lovely )
Quote by LP Addict
if those guys honestly thought that that maple was going to twist.. and they didnt know what to do about it, you should quit that school right now.

Would you guys get over the neck thing? Comment on all the freaking work I put into this guitar... maybe?

Yes, they taught me methods to prevent something like this from twisting, such as cutting it end to end and flipping one half end to end, matching the grain up like this ///\\\

The fact is, they have us build a practice neck to learn how to do it right. Then we build the real neck. The practice neck must use some sort of maple... and they choose the worst end grain from their stock for those practice pieces.

Seriously, get over the practice neck thing. It's done.
My Music
the design looks quite like the one i designed for my 7, and it looks goood man, exellent job up to now.
EPIPHONE LES PAUL
IBANEZ S SERIES CUSTOM
VOX AD30VT
hey man, sorry if you got the wrong idea from my post earlier, i was commenting on the fact the the practice neck you made looks perfect and its a bummer that the work you put into that one couldn't have been put into a keeper with better wood, a truss rod, etc. like i said, the practice neck looks killer, as does the body, and i can't wait to see this thing finished.

as a side note, you shouldn't post something on a public forum if you only want to here good things about what you're posting, always expect someone to play devils advocate. im not saying in the least that what you've made isn't good, its great, but to say "drop the neck thing and tell me how great my craftsmanship is" is a little off to me. just my $.02, but like i said, keep up the good work, i'll be watching this as well as your firebird build
Beautiful guitar!

I'd love to take a guitar building course!
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Peavey 5150
Vader Cabinet 4x12
Roland Cube 30X
Line 6 Toneport UX1
Morley Bad Horsie II

the finish kinda looks like my old DK2T in trans black. this build is going to be awesome when completed
Quote by Killian5-0
I was looking at a friend of mines baby that was just born and I said "He's younger than me"

Quote by Rocker_geek
nexteyenate you win
Linux
Quote by rednwhiteblues
hey man, sorry if you got the wrong idea from my post earlier, i was commenting on the fact the the practice neck you made looks perfect and its a bummer that the work you put into that one couldn't have been put into a keeper with better wood, a truss rod, etc. like i said, the practice neck looks killer, as does the body, and i can't wait to see this thing finished.

as a side note, you shouldn't post something on a public forum if you only want to here good things about what you're posting, always expect someone to play devils advocate. im not saying in the least that what you've made isn't good, its great, but to say "drop the neck thing and tell me how great my craftsmanship is" is a little off to me. just my $.02, but like i said, keep up the good work, i'll be watching this as well as your firebird build

Tell me you hate the shape of the neck, you think my work sucked... tell me you hate the paint job. Just don't argue with me about what the school requirements are... I have no control over that, and thats why I got annoyed and snapped back.

Post after post of comments about the practice neck when I put up like 50 pics of other work... thats what annoyed me.

I know when I see other people's posts like these, I really enjoy seeing the work that goes into their guitars. Thats why I laid it all out here.

Some people will learn something, some people will say 'hey thats cool' and others will think.... 'meh... I wouldn't have done that to it.'

But I have no control over school requirements. I have no plans of quitting the school right now as someone else suggested... obviously I've learned tons of good knowledge if I can now build this and prior to this.. my only woodworking experience was a shelf I built in the 7th grade - some 20 years ago.

I really appreciate the comments, compliments, criticism of my work. Thanks to all of you.
My Music
Hopefully more pics to come tonight or this weekend. I'm very very close to completion now.

Just need to wet sand and buff the neck and body... then start bolting everything together.

All the hardware is black, so it should look interesting.
My Music
Nice build. Just curious, what's the tuition cost for that school?
Gear:
Ibanez RG7321 Seven String
Epiphone Iommi Signature SG
Digitech Scott Ian Black 13
VOX Valvetronix AD100VTH
Laney 4x12 w/Celestion 50s
I'm not sure what it is now, as its gone up... but it ain't cheap. It was $10,500 for me, for the 6 months. The class is 4 hours a day, 5 days a week. Saturdays are optional... but I go for most of them.

I'm former military, so I use the GI Bill to cover a lot of it, and the rest I got a Stafford loan to cover. I couldn't think of any school I actually wanted to go to. I was afraid I'd waste my GI Bill never using it. Now I'm taking full advantage.

After completion of this course, you can use your certificate to get you into most guitar manufacturers as a quality control tech. This means you're at the end of the line setting them up and checking the details. Thats great if you're not ready to do your own thing.
My Music
So, do you get a diploma after a few years or something? Do you want to become a luthier for a living? Just curious is all.

BTW, INCREDIBLE work IMO.
That's looking really nice. Excellent work. You should definitely invest in some tools of your own once you're done with this

I know I'd like to do something like that, and I think you've made a good choice by doing it.
Quote by Liberation
Every time I see your avatar I want to slit your neck with a butterknife. Goddamn Pingu.
Yeah, I finished wet sanding the body last night and got halfway through buffing it. I will post pics later of it all nice and shiny. It came out really flat, which is a good thing.

I don't get a dimploma, I get a certificate for completion of the course... and like I said back on the first page of this thread, I am doing this permanently. Full time guitar repair/mods/building. I am a realist, and I know the money isn't in building. I will support the habit by doing repairs. Crazy? Maybe a little... Happy? Absolutely.
My Music
Beautiful work Hugh! While $10K isn't chump change, this kind of education and experience is priceless. I disagree about the money not being in building though, with one or two samples of your work I bet you could sell your custom guitars and supplement your repair income nicely. Surely a custom job is worth $2 - 3K easy these days if not more. Personally, I'd love to see you do a single cut carved top some day as well.
Moving on.....
And I will do that eventually. For now I had to start with something 'easy'.

Here it is mocked up with the pickups in it and the bridge on. There are no screws in the pickups. I'm almost done buffing, still got a few areas that need work, though.

My Music
Last edited by zeroyon at Aug 10, 2008,
I think that burst is a little aggressively laid on for my taste, but that's my only gripe. Fine handiwork. I commend thee.
Page 1 of 5