Hello,

New to the site and new to guitar playing. Need some help/advise. Hope I am posting in proper forum.

Been playing for about 6 months. Lessons coming along very well. I am 35 and my son is 9 years old. We are both in lessons. Please bare with me as I will try to give as much information as possible.

My son plays on a Fender American Strat with a Marshall MG15DFX. Sounds real good for a complete beginner. No issues here. Him taking lessons, I thought I would learn along with him for encouragement and just to learn myself. So...

Part 1 - My guitar was bought new off eBay. Its a custom built SPG Darkside. Licensed Floyd Rose, Duel cheap-o humbuckers, Volume/Tone/3 way switch. Amp is a Crate GTD65 also bought new. Buddy just sold me a Peavey Transtube 212, but besides trying it for a few minutes to make sure it works, it just sits in closet for now.

When guitar arrived in mail, two strings were broken. I take to local guitar shop and have strings replaced and tuned. When I pick up guitar, shop guy was real impressed with guitar but said pickups were REAL cheap and gave off a horrible feedback. Said that some feedback in a guitar was good, but mine was bad. Also, pots were smaller than a dime and were really scratchy, especially the volume. Brought it home and played with it for about a week. As a beginner, even I could tell pickups and pots were cheap as hell.

Part 2 - So I get on eBay and start looking for better pickups. I find a guy selling two Blackout style humbuckers, volume/tone pots, and patch cord plug from a Jackson guitar. (Don't know model) Pickups say Jackson in white. Honest seller said they were roughly a year old and was upgrading to Seymour Duncan. I win auction for 11 bucks. I take everything to shop again and guy said Jackson makes really nice guitars and these pickups/pots would be a 1000% improvement over what I had. He replaced both pickups, pots, and installed new strings again. Didn't replace patch cord plug.

He was right, the sound is so much better. Absolutely no scratch out of pots. However, now I get this buzzing sound when I'm touching nothing. When I touch the strings, bridge, metal chrome dome knobs, or any metal on guitar, the buzzing goes away. Very distracting when I am trying to learn chords and when I lift fingers off strings, it buzzes until I touch strings again. Not a real bad buzz, but definitely noticeable. The louder amp is turned up, the louder buzzing is.

I plugged my sons Strat into my amp and there is no buzzing. So, I kind of confirmed that its not my amp, its definitely my guitar. Tried my guitar on sons Marshall and the Peavey, and still buzzes when touching nothing. I am going to call shop guy and take it to him again.

Just thought it would be nice to go down there with some knowledge on what this problem may be. My buddy says, "Its a bad ground dude". However, he is a complete stoner and I can't trust him as far as I could throw him...lol
I trust shop guys knowledge, just don't want to get suckered into paying for work I wouldn't need.

Any help or info would be GREATLY appreciated. Thank you.

Sincerely,
Errol (Basszilla)
It isnt grounded properly, thats all. Take it to your tech and ask him to do it.
He shouldn't charge you, as it was he who didnt ground it properly.

EDIT;

Nice setups btw my friend, good luck to you and your son in learning.

EDIT 2;
dickhaus is wrong.
the pickups are high output so they pick up excess noise and create buzzing. i suggest u buy yourself a noise suppressor pedal. that will fix the problem nicely.
Member #24 of the I Love Hayley Williams Club PM Gibson_SG_uzr55 to Join
I think your stoner friend is right

edit: and this would help ^^^^^
Gibson SG Standard
Ibanez S2170FB
Peavey JSX
Marshall 1960A
TEXAS A&M
Wow, you guys are fast...lol

Thanks for the compliment on our set ups iRockMetal. I too thought they are pretty nice for a couple beginner rookies.

So I guess my stoner buddy was right in saying bad ground.

As for the noise suppression pedal, my Crate already has a 3 button foot switch. Would I have to disconnect this in order to connect a new pedal or does it connect inline with the patch cord?
Last edited by Basszilla at Aug 7, 2008,
Quote by iRockMetal
It goes inbetween the guitar and amp

Thanks again.

Going to take guitar to shop today to check into ground problem first. If problem persists, already looking at a couple Boss NS-2 pedals on eBay at moment. Little more expensive than I was planning on spending.

Any brand/model preferences?

Either way, must get rid of rotten buzzing.

Thanks again for any more info...
that Floyd looks really sweet! nice find. i'm 36, and started playing about 6 months ago.
Quote by nathraq
that Floyd looks really sweet! nice find. i'm 36, and started playing about 6 months ago.

Thanks nathraq. I bought guitar new off eBay for 76 bucks. 20 bucks for shipping. New pickups and pots were also bought from eBay for 11 bucks. Guy at shop charged 30 to install pickups and restring/tune. He was flipping out when he heard how much I purchased for. All in all, a nice ax for cheap. That is why you don't have an eBay auction end at 3am. Nobody up to bid. Freaking stole it. Don't know if its true, doing research on the SPG Darkside, MSRP was close to 500 bucks.

Also, to update my buzzing situation. I contacted guy and was very busy. Had to call me back. Meanwhile, my buddy brings over his 900 dollar Gretch. Plugs into my amp and it does the exact same thing. Hmmm?

Guy from shop calls me up and explains that all guitars do the buzz to some extent. Explained that running real high gain on an amp would also cause buzzing. Assured me that it wasn't the ground. Said that buying a noise suppressor pedal would help but problem may be in my homes AC wiring. Said that they sell a gadget that plugs into wall, then you plug amp into that. Said that might help even more. Didn't say exactly what it was, only he could order it at a cost of 75 bucks.

Anyone ever hear of such a thing? If so, what are they called so I can do some research and compare prices.

Thanks again for any info.

Sincerely,
Errol
Quote by Basszilla
Thanks nathraq. I bought guitar new off eBay for 76 bucks. 20 bucks for shipping. New pickups and pots were also bought from eBay for 11 bucks. Guy at shop charged 30 to install pickups and restring/tune. He was flipping out when he heard how much I purchased for. All in all, a nice ax for cheap. That is why you don't have an eBay auction end at 3am. Nobody up to bid. Freaking stole it. Don't know if its true, doing research on the SPG Darkside, MSRP was close to 500 bucks.

Also, to update my buzzing situation. I contacted guy and was very busy. Had to call me back. Meanwhile, my buddy brings over his 900 dollar Gretch. Plugs into my amp and it does the exact same thing. Hmmm?

Guy from shop calls me up and explains that all guitars do the buzz to some extent. Explained that running real high gain on an amp would also cause buzzing. Assured me that it wasn't the ground. Said that buying a noise suppressor pedal would help but problem may be in my homes AC wiring. Said that they sell a gadget that plugs into wall, then you plug amp into that. Said that might help even more. Didn't say exactly what it was, only he could order it at a cost of 75 bucks.

Anyone ever hear of such a thing? If so, what are they called so I can do some research and compare prices.

Thanks again for any info.

Sincerely,
Errol

might need to turn the distortion down, or the volume knob on the guitar.

and I really doubt its necessary to buy that gadget

also how did your 9 year old son get a USA strat? i hope you didnt spend $1000 on his 1st guitar
Quote by TDS
You know what would be awsome? A phone that doubled as a fleshlight that recharged power through kinetic motion.

"hold on guys my phone's dying."
*fap*
"Ok we're good."
Quote by pinback
might need to turn the distortion down, or the volume knob on the guitar.

and I really doubt its necessary to buy that gadget

also how did your 9 year old son get a USA strat? i hope you didnt spend $1000 on his 1st guitar

Being a beginner, I rarely use distortion. Always use the clean channel. I usually have volume knob 1/2 to 3/4 the way up and use amp to adjust volume. When you are a beginner and suck as I do, distortion doesn't sound to good...lol We learning though...

American Strat was a gift from my brother (boys uncle). Running the numbers, I found its a 2005 model. Originally came with white pickguard, white pickup covers, and white knobs. Replaced with black with original style chrome knobs to give a cooler look. Still have originals.

Don't know what he spent. Hope he didn't blow a grand. Although, him not having kids of his own, wouldn't surprise me a bit. Uncle Jody always gets my son great gifts. Dirtbike, 200 dollar St. Croix fishing rod with 200 dollar Shimano reel, PS3 with like 10 games, PSP with stack of games, just to name a few over the past few years. Damn kid has a fishing set up even I am envy of. Well, almost envy of...lol

Spoils my two kids rotten. I know he makes good money, not married, with no kids. Must be nice...
Last edited by Basszilla at Aug 7, 2008,