Ok so I don't have to match my preamp tubes right? Does that mean I also don't have to bias them? Does that mean I can just swap them out without much knowledge of electronics? If so would this be worthwhile? I love the power amp section of my amp (when i go straight into the return effects) However when I go through the preamp its just not quite what I want... Any help would be appreciated.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
You are correct in that, for guitar amp applications, matched preamp tubes are unnecessary. And yes, there is no need to bias your preamp tubes (I don't even think the bias on them is adjustable). I say go for it. Current production tubes are pretty cheap; buy a few and pop 'em in, see what you like. What kind of amp do you have btw? What tubes are in it now? Stock?
Please, call me Chase.

Quote by GeneralGrim
You live up to your name, sir. Well done.

Gear

Lefty MIM Strat
Traynor YCS50 :
Larrivee D-03R
Dunlop 95Q Wah
BYOC Fuzz
Fulltone OCD
Vintage Volume Pedal

I witnessed Night of the Pear 2
Peavey Windsor (Hence me wanting to tweak). Its the 100w head. I still have whatever the stock 12AX7's are... Any suggestions for a bit more gain and a bit more rounded tone... I'm getting way too much treble right now.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Last edited by tubetime86 at Aug 7, 2008,
Electro-Harmonix make pretty warm 12ax7s. Tung-Sol also make great all-round 12ax7s.
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
Tung Sole in V1 at least, then you can mix and match. I'd say buy a handful of individual tubes(Tung Sol, Electro Harmonix, JJ, or any other decent quality tube) and mix and match them and find which one sounds the best in each tube location.

My preamp section is a mix of a couple brands with a Tung Sol in the V1 spot.

Tung Sols have great clarity and roundness.
Washburn D-12
Ibanez RG
Ibanez RG 7321
Epiphone Les Paul / EMG 81 85
Fender MIM Ash Stratocaster
Digitech Whammy
Small Stone Phaser
Boss SD-1-Modded
Boss MT-2-Modded
Boss CE-5
Boss DD-3-Modded
ISP Decimator
B-52 AT-212
So I can just open up the cage and start throwing these puppies in? No worries about messing it up? (Obviously I'll try to avoid electrocuting myself so don't tell me that.)
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
^Basically, yes. You won't want to literally throw them, but beyond that, you should be fine.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
Yeah like changing a light bulb lol.
Main Gear:

Santiago S3 Spanish Classical
PRS CE22 Mahogany
Mesa/Boogie F-50 combo w/ G12K-100
Teese RMC Wizard Wah
Rothwell Switchblade
Ibanez FL-9
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus V2
EHX SMMwH
No static precautions or anything? Do they screw in or slide in or clip in? Sorry I really want to do this cuz it seems like a great cheap way to get some better gain out of my preamp, and I have no experience.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
to get the old ones out you just gently and firmly wiggle them back and forth LIGHTLY until they pop out. do NOT twist. putting the new ones in you match the triodes of the tube with the corresponding holes...use the little notch as a reference...gently rock the tube back and fort while applying pressure until they are in securely. the key is to be gentle and do NOT twist. im sure you can find quick vids on youtube. oh and have the amp unplugged from the wall just for safe measure
It's really not difficult. You pull the tubes out and put the others back in. They should only line up and fit one way, so you really can't make a mistake unless you're trying to.

Quote by ibz_bucket

Quote by tubetime86
Also, be careful with what you're touching, those filter caps are grounded to the chassis and can store charge even with the amp off and unplugged, and you don't want to have 300VDC shooting across your body
Quote by al112987
Also, be careful with what you're touching, those filter caps are grounded to the chassis and can store charge even with the amp off and unplugged, and you don't want to have 300VDC shooting across your body

300VDC wont do much...maybe a slight taser effect

300VAC on the other hand...GL lol

all depends on the current tho