Anyone here like Saxon? I'm sittin' here listening to Strong Arm Of The Law and it is kicking my @s$. I didn't see any Saxon/NWOBHM threads here so....

Discuss!
They're ok. A lil lighter than wat I usually listen to. (I listen to a lot of Metallica, Megadeth, Death Metal, and even more extreme forms of Metal. [Than Death Metal I mean, of which there's a whole myriad; jus check wikipedia sometime. There's like 20 different genres on there and then prolly 50 subgenres. Hey, I was bored; so, I looked it all up.]) Imho, Saxon sounds like they're very influenced by Guns 'n' Roses or similiar bands. I don't know who they were really influenced by, but that's jus wat they remind me of. Ya know, a different tone of Slash and a singer with a different range than Axel Rose.
Tho, watchin on Youtube the song "Ride Like The Wind" and "Strangers in the Night" and "Wheels of Steel", the solos sound like knock-offs of Eddie Van Halen. No offense. It's jus that the solos don't impress me much. Prolly cuz I'm heavily influenced by Steve Vai ( ), Eddie Van Halen ("Eruption" anyone?), and Randy Rhoads ( ) at this point in my guitar career; and all of those guys were very innovative. But tho Saxon sounds like a decent band, they don't seem innovative to me.

Jus my opinion; feel free to disagree. But unnerstand that I'm not dissin Saxon. I kinda like em.
Last edited by rocklikeafool at Aug 7, 2008,
Already have a couple of small threads.

Yeah, they're pretty good.

Have you actually heard anything except THE song though?

Edit: Noob central...
Metal Forum Popular Vote Winner!!!

Quote by webbtje
Quote by dead-fish
And you're obviously here because you fancy Phill.
Phill is a very attractive guy...

"I'm so tempted to sig that, Phill" - Sig it then

Unless otherwise stated, assume everything I say is in my opinion.
Quote by rocklikeafool
They're ok. A lil lighter than wat I usually listen to. Imho, they sound like they're very influenced by Guns 'n' Roses or similiar bands. I don't know who they were really influenced by, but that's jus wat they remind me of. Ya know, a different tone of Slash and a singer with a different range than Axel Rose.
Tho, watchin on Youtube the song "Ride Like The Wind" and "Strangers in the Night", the solos sound like knock-offs of Van Halen. No offense. It's jus that the solos don't impress me much. Prolly cuz I'm a big fan of Steve Vai, Eddie Van Halen ("Eruption", anyone?), and Randy Rhoads; and all of those guys were very innovative. But tho Saxon sounds like a decent band, they don't seem innovative to me.

Jus my opinion; feel free to disagree. But unnerstand that I'm not dissin Saxon. I kinda like em.

Saxon were pretty (And I mean very) influential to the thrash scene.

And, Eruption is tasteless as hell . It's just Eddie warming up...

Oh, and idiot, GnR came quite a bit after Saxon. If anything it's GnR takig from Saxon.
R.I.P. Charles Michael "Evil Chuck" Schuldiner
B. May 13 1967 - D. December 13 2001

Quote by eggsandham2
cuz ppl hate how power metal they are cuz they think its "gay" or w.e, which is immature and dirogitory
Saxon started in 1976.

Way before all of the Metallicas, GnRs and whatever other popular metal band that is oh so praised these days. Most people today probably won't like their type of heavy metal but I think it is alot more fun to listen to then all of the /murder/death/rape/kill/depression type "heavy metal" of today.

I am going to be seeing them soon. I can't wait. Oh yeah and a new album will be out from them in early 09.

Paul Quinn and Graham Oliver were one of the finest twin guitar teams, ever....
" /murder/death/rape/kill/depression type "heavy metal""

I'm thinking I'm confused on what you mean, but yeah Saxon are killer...
R.I.P. Charles Michael "Evil Chuck" Schuldiner
B. May 13 1967 - D. December 13 2001

Quote by eggsandham2
cuz ppl hate how power metal they are cuz they think its "gay" or w.e, which is immature and dirogitory
AND great on stage...i saw them like a month ago.this bassist cant stop headbanging.....
and the bands played on
wheels of steel
denim and leather
ride like the wind

hell yeaaaaaaaaaaaaah
if u are not in metal, u are not my frieeeeeend
Quote by rocklikeafool
Imho, Saxon sounds like they're very influenced by Guns 'n' Roses or similiar bands. I don't know who they were really influenced by, but that's jus wat they remind me of. Ya know, a different tone of Slash and a singer with a different range than Axel Rose.

Are you a goddamn idiot?
I’m not the man I used to be, I... I can’t go back to Arkham.

I... I should return to Arkham.

Among the churchyard’s mouldering stones I recognise a name – my own.
I have come home to Arkham.

^

Quote by webbtje
Quote by dead-fish

Quote by Kepulix
Are you a goddamn idiot?

i'd guess, 'yes'
The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.
Used to be one of my favourite bands of all time. Still give them a listen every now and then, and they're still as good as ever. Has anyone heard the re-recorded classics on the "Heavy Metal Thunder" collection? Best damn production job ever.
Quote by The Evil Hat
i'd guess, 'yes'

So you're saying Guns 'n' Roses DIDN'T have a huge influence on Saxon in their formative years?!

Por que?!

Quote by webbtje
Quote by dead-fish

Quote by hunter260859
Saxon are an awesome band. Their old stuff is awesome as is their new, If no one has heard Lionheart and The Inner sanctum. I suggest you do.

Should be going to see these aswell as motorhead in November, I've heard they're an awesome live band.

Jesus, thats when I'm seeing them...

I agree though, unlike alot of other 80s metal bands, the new/modern Saxon songs hold up and is on par with the "classics".
Probably one of my favourite ever bands. Going to see them in April! First concert! Who cares!
Anyway, the guitar tone on Flying on the Edge from Lionheart is excellent, and I wondered if any of you knew how they got it?

"Intense yet intricate" Scottish melodeath band, who have been reviewed live by Terrorizer, Metalgigs and Valkyrian Music in the past year

Get our debut EP Helveien, for free download.
I love saxon the hae been my fav band now for over 20 years, yeah they have had there low points in there carrear but what ban hasent, low points for me are the destiny and rock the nations albums, the rest are either really good or brilliant,

I am looking for a saxon tab the song is called are we travellers in time its of the metalhead album brill album if anyone can help of tab thisong plz, i wish i could work out songs meself but i just aint good enough, Theres a song of the new into th labyrinth album called Battalions of steel it rocks,

The last 3 albums including the one i have just mentioned are good albums the other 2 are the lionheart album and The inner sanctum.

Brill live band as well seen em 21 tmes now.

Rock on saxon,

Other bands i like are iron maiden, metallica, ac/dc, judas priest, motley crue etc etc etc
I love Saxon! got mostof there albums on vinyl. Saw them twice. Got a used pick from Paul Quinn.

Listening to the Crusader album right now.
Quote by Tyson2011
d von is truly one of the pit.

Quote by 09phillt
Good God Man What's Wrong With You!?
Class band, I'm pissed I lost my copy of Wheels of Steel. Oh well, still got Strong Arm of the Law here somewhere...
Quote by dminishedthingy
It didn't seem possible, but apparently Messiah can spam even more now.

Quote by \Powerslave/
I can see it now. "Dark Thrones and Black People".

Quote by \Powerslave/
I pretty much wank something small and sleek.

ololololololol

JOIN THE NEKROGESTAPO!