First off, I love strats and most other Fender guitars. Which is why I was contemplating a Fender in the next year. However in my last few trips to Guitar Center all the MIM standards I played just didn't feel right. The tension on the strings was quite bad and the neck was hard to play on. I'm hoping this is just a set up issue but I found a number of strats...actually the majority of the MIM's to be this way.

Perhaps it's just the fact that it is Guitar Center and they don't take care of their guitars too well?
I remember playing a 50's reissue Meixcan strat years ago fell in love with it. The same with a black MIA just recently being sold for $900. However only two guitars out of maybe 20 i've played felt "right".

Anyone else notice this? I'm hoping it's just bad set up issues but i'm gonna go and try some strats at a a local shop which maintains their guitars quite well.
High Cardinal of Zeppelinism PM TheHeartbreaker to join and
"Co-Founder (and Yoda) of the Star Wars Universe. PM me or SethMegadefan to join.

' " The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death"...'-p.269-Deathly Hallows
i hear you...there seems to be a growing difference between the upper-hundred dollar MIM's and the 1,000+ Americans, I played a few of both a few weeks ago in Guitar Center and experienced the same thing...beginning to seem like Americans the only way to go for Fender
Guitar
Fender Alder Strat w/ SD Invader, P90
Fender Blacktop Telecaster
Ovation Celebrity
Amp
Bolt BTH-100 w/ Marshall 1960A Lead
Drums
OCDP Avalon Series w/ Zildjian Custom A/K

Psycho Circus
No Boundaries Studios
Not at my Guitar Center. The Mexican standard strats and teles feel as good as the americans MOST of the time.
Gear:
Gibson Faded Flying V

Marshall MG100HDFX
Marshall MA50C

Boss DS-1
Digitech RP50
Digitech Whammy IV
Vox V847 Wah Pedal
i think that the mexican standard models from '06 onwards sound a little better than before, but play like crap in comparison.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
^ Yeah, i've got no complaints about the sound and looks. However the whole feel of the guitar is gone. Maybe a set up and breaking in period are required.

Cause my old beat up Squier plays like a dream.
"Co-Founder (and Yoda) of the Star Wars Universe. PM me or SethMegadefan to join.

If you're playing it at GC, there's a good chance it's been abused, and the setup isn't amazing. I think they play and sound well, but at GC sometimes stuff isn't the best setup. One Dinky i played had rusty strings and a rusted bridge.
Quote by RG_FANMAN
If you're playing it at GC, there's a good chance it's been abused, and the setup isn't amazing. I think they play and sound well, but at GC sometimes stuff isn't the best setup. One Dinky i played had rusty strings and a rusted bridge.

Yeah there's a good chance it's just the store. I see just about everyone use these guitars whichever way.

Quote by crazywhiteboi94
i got a mim last week sounded almost as good as the american and the playability about the same

That's good to know, did you get it from a small shop or a big chain store?

The more expensive MIM strats, like the Classic Player's, IMO played better for my feel than the american standards. The american deluxes were great but the standards were just too plain.
XBL Gamertag: toasty10
the guitars aren't setup well from factory... my MIM strat (when i had stock neck) left all other standard MIMs for dead and that was because I had set it up to my preferences.

note: the reason i changed neck was because the frets wore down quickly. i don't think mexican strats use hard fretwire, but then again I use big strings
It's most likey to be Guitar Center. (God it's weird saying center instead of centre ) Since hundreds of people go in every week and woohah, tons of people would have played them, left tons of sweat on it, worn out the strings, and GC haven't bothered to do anything about it.

So you could buy one and give it the best setup of your life, or maybe go into a small guitar shop, which hardly anyone goes in.
Cam Sampbell's my hero
I have to agree here- the quality of the MIM Fenders seems to have gone to shit lately. Go for a G&L instead.
Sounds like you've played a bad batch.

.....\,========================]
...../ ..---.........................-----.............|]
..../_==o;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;-------.:/
....), ...(_(_) ..../
...// (..) ), ------"
..//......//
.//......//
//......//
Haha ^ also that bad thing for us Aussies ( I live in Melbourne as well ) is that the shipping and handling adds to the amount you pay for the guitar.. e.g. an MIM standard will roughly cost us $800 - $1000 USD
Last edited by striker327 at Aug 8, 2008,
Guys what's the differance between MIA and MIM. Why ar eppl saying they sound "almost" as good as a MIA??
Yamaha Pacifica 112
Tanglewood TW15NS
Line6 Spider III 15w (playing into the MP3/CD input = bypass all the Spider processing)
Boss DD-3
DigiTech RP500

My other passion in life My Site
Quote by zeppelinpage4
First off, I love strats and most other Fender guitars. Which is why I was contemplating a Fender in the next year. However in my last few trips to Guitar Center all the MIM standards I played just didn't feel right. The tension on the strings was quite bad and the neck was hard to play on. I'm hoping this is just a set up issue but I found a number of strats...actually the majority of the MIM's to be this way. Perhaps it's just the fact that it is Guitar Center and they don't take care of their guitars too well? I remember playing a 50's reissue Meixcan strat years ago fell in love with it. The same with a black MIA just recently being sold for $900. However only two guitars out of maybe 20 i've played felt "right". Anyone else notice this? I'm hoping it's just bad set up issues but i'm gonna go and try some strats at a a local shop which maintains their guitars quite well.

I've noticed that all the guitars at guitar center are that way. They have all been played by who knows how many people, and they are always screwed up....Mine is just fine (strat). I bought it from guitar center, but from the website. I would never buy it right from the store. They are used guitars that they sell for the "new" price..
Quote by Van Halen Man
Van Halen Man Is Awesome

Quote by Steve Martin
I believe that sex is the most beautiful, natural, and wholesome thing that money can buy.
they don't care about fenders there. All they care about are the gibsons and schecters
Quote by Sir-Shoelace
manliest string guage? barbed wire.

Founder Of the UG Slide Player's Guild, PM me If You're Really Feelin' Dem Blues

THE PIT
"better than your average psychiatrist"
Quote by Brian_C
Guys what's the differance between MIA and MIM. Why ar eppl saying they sound "almost" as good as a MIA??

Made in America use better cuts of wood, better hardware and electronics, and better quality control, so a MIA will sound, feel and play better than a MIM.
Quote by Kensai

Awesome guy right here
I'm going to be looking for a used mim deluxe roadhouse to put emg sa's in in the next couple of months. Hope I can find one of decent quality.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
^ A lot of users posted about finding great MIM strats, so long as it is well set up and taken cared of in the store you should be able to find a nice one.

BTW I notice you want EMG SA's, is that decision Gilmour related in anyway?

Quote by lefthandman9876
ive found the better squiers are so much better than the mim's, change the tuners bridge and pickups and you would have spent the same if not less and you end up with a much better guitar

Yeah, i'm thinking of just sticking with the Squier until I can go all out on an MIA strat.

Some of the old Affinity strats are quite underrated IMHO.

Quote by zeppelinpage4
BTW I notice you want EMG SA's, is that decision Gilmour related in anyway?

Big time. I can play alot of floyd and i really didn't want a strat, but after looking at tons of them I saw a roadhouse in black/brown pick guard that is pretty nice looking. Now the hunt is on for a used one.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
well everythings more expensive now.
my dad bought a Fender Telecaster(american of course) in the 70s(so it was a 70s tele), but sold it to get money for a car
which really sux, and of course he regrets doing it
he also had a 60s rickenbacker, which he also had to sell.
DAHHH!!!!
i recently bought a mim sunburst standard strat with rosewood fretboard at guitar center and luckily they had gotten a shipment that day and he handed it to me right out of the box. no one had even looked at the thing before me. the thing plays and feels just as good or better than my buddies MIA strat with maple fretboard. maybe thats about personal fretboard preference. soon the neck and pickups will be replaced with 62' reissue parts including all the wiring with cloth. the tremelo, pickguard and knobs have already been replaced while the pots on mim's are the same as the mia versions. all thats going to be left original is the body and its still going to be a fraction of the price of a MIA strat.
You get what you pay for these days and a MiM strat is only a pick-up change and a decent set-up away from being great guitar
Nothing of me is original. I am the combined effort of everybody I've ever known.

¨°º¤ø„¸¸„ø¤º°¨
Quote by striker327
Haha ^ also that bad thing for us Aussies ( I live in Melbourne as well ) is that the shipping and handling adds to the amount you pay for the guitar.. e.g. an MIM standard will roughly cost us $800 - $1000 USD

Billy Hyde advertised Standards for 790 in their latest catalogue so you could probably get them 700-750.

Im tossing up either a MIM Standard, Deluxe Players or Classic Players 60
Last week we picked up a barely used, like-new MIM HSS Standard Strat at Guitar Center (still had the film on the pick guard and didn't look like it had been used, helluva deal ).

Now I'm not a very experienced guitarist, but to me this Mexi is almost indistinguishable from my '08 American Standard HSS. The neck feels just as good as the MIA's neck, action is the same, and it seems to stay in tune just as well as the MIA. Playability of the MIM is on par with MIA.

The MIA does have a slightly richer tone than the MIM, but I don't think you would notice it if you didn't play them together through the same amp at the same settings.

Perhaps it's just the inconsistency of MIM Strats, and we got lucky with a good one?
In my experience the MIM versions of all Fenders are wildly inconsistent, and if you try enough of them, you can find a real winner.
My MIM was average out of the box but with a setup it plays like poorly-setup (read: factory) guitars that cost twice as much, and the pickup upgrades have just made it a whole new machine.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.