hello, I'm planning to make a 112 cab for my new Epiphone Valve Junior.

I'm looking for some classic blues-rock sound from 60's-70's. more specific, I really love Jimmy Page's sounds and I 'm looking for that kind of sound.

from these three speaker, Celestion G12H, G12M, and Vintage30, which one is the closest to the sound that I looked for?

right now I'm using SG model guitar with unknown pickup. but I'm planning to buy good pickups after I got a speaker, maybe a pair of SH-4 with SH-2/SH-1.

thanks for any suggestions .
vintage 30s for all around capabilities. i personally go G12-75 but thats cuz i prefer a more modern distortion
vintage 30s are more modern sounding than what you are looking for. The sound you are looking for calls for a pushed speaker, and vintage 30s aren't pushed like vintage speakers (ie. Greenbacks). I'd suggest G12H or G12M. The H greenbacks have more defined top and bottom end, the M greenbacks have more of a warm midrange peak.
Quote by kayman121
vintage 30s for all around capabilities. i personally go G12-75 but thats cuz i prefer a more modern distortion

Both of those speakers are pretty terrible for what he wanted. I'd suggest a G12M.
Quote by Horlicks
Both of those speakers are pretty terrible for what he wanted. I'd suggest a G12M.

Agreed, I'm not sure why everyone loves the vintage 30 so much around here.
^It's the name. The word "Vintage" is very misleading for that speaker.
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
if you live in the usa, check out weber speakers, theyre a helluva lot cheaper than celestions and sound almost as good.

¦ Epiphone Sheraton II ¦ GFS Mean 90s ¦ Ampeg J-20 ¦
¦ Fulltone OCD ¦ MXR 6-Band EQ ¦ Behringer Chorus ¦ Artec Analog Delay ¦ EHX Holy Grail ¦
Quote by JMcG92
if you live in the usa, check out weber speakers, theyre a helluva lot cheaper than celestions and sound almost as good.

almost? Weber makes clones of pre-rola Celestions. They sound BETTER.
Quote by slim_blues_boy
hello, I'm planning to make a 112 cab for my new Epiphone Valve Junior.

I'm looking for some classic blues-rock sound from 60's-70's. more specific, I really love Jimmy Page's sounds and I 'm looking for that kind of sound.

from these three speaker, Celestion G12H, G12M, and Vintage30, which one is the closest to the sound that I looked for?

right now I'm using SG model guitar with unknown pickup. but I'm planning to buy good pickups after I got a speaker, maybe a pair of SH-4 with SH-2/SH-1.

thanks for any suggestions .

G12H by far. By June '69 Page moved into used the Marshall 100 cabs live, the 100 cabs were loaded with the 30 watters. Granted things were reconed and possibly swapped over the years, he most likely retained 30 watters.

I have the Anniversary model, does great, give it a while to break in. If you got the cash check out the Heritage model. Possibly check out Scumback speakers as well, he makes wonderful clones, arguably better than Celestion.

Just avoid the Vintage 30, it's buzzy farty peice of crap in my opinion, especially with the VJ. I had to deal with one for almost a year until I figured out my tonal problems were it.
Quote by TNfootballfan62
^It's the name. The word "Vintage" is very misleading for that speaker.

Not at all. The Vintage 30 is a remake of the classic Alnico Blue speaker which was used in most Marshall and Vox amps in the 50's and 60's. The Vintage 30 has a redesigned cone and coil assembly to handle more distortion thats found in today's music.
^In theory your right. However the alnico has an Alnico cone, which is prone to compressing. You will lose a lot of treble from a alnico cone for an example. But what if you take away that and the treble stays? You get hgih treble spikes.

Oh and the name Vintage is VERY misleading. I had a Vintage 30 in my Orange and HATED it. It's NOT AT ALL Vintage sounding. I changed it out, first to an Alnico Blue Copy and now to a Celestion G12H30.

The Vintage 30 is a very modern speaker which is very bright. It's only good when tamed with modern, dark amps, such as a Mesa Dual Recto. When coupled with more vintage voiced amps, it's a spikey mess with mids that become very muddy.

Oh and I play classic rock and blues exclusively. So I know what vintage tones are.
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Quote by Gabel
^In theory your right. However the alnico has an Alnico cone, which is prone to compressing. You will lose a lot of treble from a alnico cone for an example. But what if you take away that and the treble stays? You get hgih treble spikes.

Oh and the name Vintage is VERY misleading. I had a Vintage 30 in my Orange and HATED it. It's NOT AT ALL Vintage sounding. I changed it out, first to an Alnico Blue Copy and now to a Celestion G12H30.

The Vintage 30 is a very modern speaker which is very bright. It's only good when tamed with modern, dark amps, such as a Mesa Dual Recto. When coupled with more vintage voiced amps, it's a spikey mess with mids that become very muddy.

Oh and I play classic rock and blues exclusively. So I know what vintage tones are.

I wasn't at all trying to claim that it did have a vintage sound (and now that I think about it I suppose the name is misleading because people who don't know much about the speaker will, in fact, assume it has a vintage sound). I was trying to explain that the reason its called the Vintage 30 is because its a modern remake of a vintage speaker!
Quote by i_am_metalhead
Not at all. The Vintage 30 is a remake of the classic Alnico Blue speaker which was used in most Marshall and Vox amps in the 50's and 60's. The Vintage 30 has a redesigned cone and coil assembly to handle more distortion thats found in today's music.

While you're explaining the name, where does it get the "30" part from?
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Quote by slatsmania

That part I don't know lol. I've never come across anything anywhere that indicates where the 30 comes from - I'm in the same boat as you on that aspect lol.
^Yeah, what I was getting at is that the speaker isn't geared towards vintage tones at all, yet it's called a "Vintage 30." Plus, as slats brought out, it's not 30 watts or anything of that nature. It's probably the most poorly named speaker of all time.
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
Quote by TNfootballfan62
[The Vintage 30]'s probably the most poorly named speaker of all time.

+1

Although its modeled after a vintage speaker, it has no vintage sound to it at all... and its 60 watts and not 30. I bet the guys over at Celestion were smoking the good stuff the day they named it lol.

On subject though.

I would go with G12M's myself. Either version of the Greenback would be great for replicating a 70's tone but I personally prefer more of a midrange tone when I play the classic stuff.
Quote by JMcG92

unfortunately, I live far away outside USA. I live in Indonesia, a place where everything is hard to find. even I must bought my EVJ from Oz.

well at the first time, I want to buy Vintage30, and yes it's because of the 'Vintage' label on it.

so now it's between G12H and G12M. I'm still not sure which one should I choose.

can somebody convince me more ?

thanks
i'd definitely avoid the v30, as everyone has been saying. i have them in my laney cab, and i don't like how my valve junior sounds with them to be honest.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
greenbacks
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul
-Ibanez S470
-PRS SE Custom

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus

Pickups:
Guitarforce
MHD
Quote by slatsmania

12''=30cm
Quote by Gabel

+1

Vintage 30's are really great in dark sounding amps but otherwise they can sound very shrill and spikey.

The GT12-75 fairs better in brighter amps as the top end has more clarity. There is also more bass present.
^However they lack mids for classic rock.

THe tone he wants is a G12H30. My new favourite speaker. It's fat, has a punchy mid sound and great clairty. PERFECT for classic rock. Actually the first thing I thought when I heard it was: Jimmy Page!
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009