I'm gonna start teaching guitar
and i wondered if u have any ideas on wat to teach aswell?
i'm basically gonna teach technique for the first few lessons
Theory
"There's Jimmy Page, one of the biggest thieves of American black music to ever walk the Earth."
Chords first lessons, techniques to use with chords, a MODERATE amount of theory (Eddie Ate Dynamite, Good Bye Eddie), finding your place on the fretboard (dots denote mostly odd numbered frets), etc. then once they're comfortable, start with some more theory like scales and stuff. Be sure to teach popular songs that include the chords you're teaching, as well as when you talk about scales.
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
I quit my lessons very quickly because my teacher plowed through songs and theory without working on finger strenghth and dexterity... Don't forget that untrained hands just CANNOT do some of the simplest things for us experienced guitarists. So I would suggest having students run through simple fretting the strings type excercises in addition to learning actual music. That would have helped me progress alot faster. For instance my teacher showed me bar chords, and I said "I can't do that. Period." His response was "Just do it. Period." That pissed me off like you wouldn't believe.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Firstly teach G A D C E and get the student changing them while keeping time slowly. Thats basics. Then strum an easy song quarter note strums in 4/4 get them counting right away. Knocking on heavens door chords or something like that. That should cover at least 2 weeks if they are a total noob.
Teaching is a skill all of it's own. Presenting information in a clear easy to understand format, and knowing how to address issues if that format doesn't work for that student.
The Registry of Guitar Tutors produce a variety of books on teaching and methods and exams to prove you can do the job. Maybe have a look.
every student is different and have their own "learn rate"....

"i want to play jimi hendrix..."....

i will show them a basic hendrix lick in the first lesson just to show them they CAN play...and it creates interest and hopefully the desire to learn more...then...if they want more they have to work for it....then the "lessons" begin

wolf
as long as you don't do what my guitar teacher did, you'll be good. essentially, he taught me not to 'strangle' the neck of my guitar, and then for every lesson after that for three years he asked me what song I wanted to learn and then tabbed it out for me. I never learned anything valuable, so I dropped the lessons and resorted to teaching myself.

So, my advice to you is teach the people the things you find most valuable to you on guitar. Everything that helped you to learn, teach them. Don't just throw them a piece of paper with a few notes and say "learn this by next week"
Correct technique for sure, so they start with a good base.

Open chords, basic strumming patterns, just take it slow to begin with and you should be fine.
If you get any students that can already play a bit, teach them phrases and exercises that are musical. I don't think I would go much on chromatic exercises up and down, spider exercises and things like that, simply because - Where would you use that in a musical context?

Ok, good exercises I guess, but they're not musical and therfore not that compatible.

However what tubetime86 mentioned about finger dexterity, this can be achieved by doing something musical - without the need for spider's.
Last edited by mdc at Aug 7, 2008,
you get any students that can already play a bit, teach them phrases and exercises that are musical. I don't think I would go much on chromatic exercises up and down, spider exercises and things like that, simply because - Where would you use that in a musical context

i use the spider alot as a finger dexterity tool..and incorporate it to a chord...or a progression

play an A major triad ( second inversion 2nd fret) play the spider -frets 4-7 on all six strings - play A major triad - 5th fret .... play spider frets 8-11 .. play A major triad 9th fret - second inversion

have it grow from there ... A & D major now in the triads..spider on only top 3 strings
then first inversions of A & D ... spider on bottom three..etc

then incorporate scales in place of spiders .. many variations of this stuff...

Part of a melody...in place of spiders...chords...spider...mix and match

it can be fun and musical...but it takes work to make it so...

wolf