Page 1 of 2
lugged it outside

then, cranked it to 2.5, noticed a substantial difference from my usual 2..then i took it to 3 and was amazed..like a whole new amp but still..i wanted more stauration..so i tried 4 and it was SOO EFFIN LOUD!! why?!?!?! i mean even outside...and this seems to be the normal volume for some bands that use this amp..

how do they stand it? earplugs?

i mean i wouldnt have minded playing it that loud, but there is an elementary school behind my house and neighbors on both sides so i was a bit worried..but i mean...if i need to go past 3 to get good saturation im a bit worried ill never get to hear it

ESP EC-1000 *Vintage Black*
Orange TH30 Head
Orange PPC212-OB

DiMarzio Cables
and thats why i returned it for an engl fireball. it's one of the sexiest amps ive heard...but unfortunately (for me) i dont have the opportunity to bring it out the beast within asides from the occasional gig
have the same problem with my amp.
try playing it through a different cab?
made a hell of a difference for me, i played my Grainger hammerhead 50 through an Orange 412 at my last gig other than the cab that came with it and it sounded ten times better - (v30's speakers).
so i guess you could try putting some different speakers in the cab too?
Quote by david_highland
Uh oh......you just had to go and piss off danielrobbyshor, now we're all ****ed.

Quote by Grundy0
How can an orgy be 'Nazi-style'? What did he stop halfway through and incinerate a jew?
its a combo..not a head....

also..when i hit post gain of 4...no matter how far away i stood from the amp..it had this God awful feedback

Orange TH30 Head
Orange PPC212-OB

DiMarzio Cables
Quote by sxymnky777

Much too expensive. Get a Ted Weber attenuator .

Glad to hear you finally got to enjoy your new amp . If the combo comment was made about attenuators you can still use one with a combo you just need to do a bit of soldering.

Quote by jcp42877

also..when i hit post gain of 4...no matter how far away i stood from the amp..it had this God awful feedback

Noise gate. Absolutely necessary with high gain amps.
+1 to an attenuator
Gear
Epiphone G-400
Orange Tiny Terror
Marshall 1936 2x12 Cabinet
Blackstar HT-Dual
MXR 10-Band EQ
so an attenuator for saturation at low volumes & a noise gate to cut off that horrible squealy feedback?

hmm sounds good

Orange TH30 Head
Orange PPC212-OB

DiMarzio Cables
Quote by jcp42877

Get a longer cable?
Quote by Riot Act
Get a longer cable?

i use a 21ft monster cable..doubt thats the problem

Orange TH30 Head
Orange PPC212-OB

DiMarzio Cables
Quote by maggot2011
Then tell me you have a noise gate or suppressor.

im planning on getting the mxr smart gate...

oh...on the attenuator...i will plug it in between my speakers and chassis inside my amp?

Orange TH30 Head
Orange PPC212-OB

DiMarzio Cables
he doesnt have a cab, he has the combo ^
Peavey XXX combo *upgraded screen resistors, Tung-Sol's, and 6L6's*
Schecter Syn Std. * modded, scalloped, and worn*
Schecter C-1 Elite *still sexy*
Ibanez AEL 12-string

"He who sticks his dick in peanut butter is fucking nuts"
Quote by jcp42877

oh...on the attenuator...i will plug it in between my speakers and chassis inside my amp?

those aren't great, get the ISP decimator
Peavey 6505+
Fender Hot Rod Deville 410
Fender Telecaster Blacktop
Gretsch G5120
decimator, and from what i've heard the hot plate is a good attenuator
Quote by progbass
right Metallica is a given. Personally I like to pretend the bus exploded and killed them all in '86.

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
Quote by jcp42877

That's where your feedback is coming from. You NEED a noise gate with high gain amps.

Yep but you need to solder the wire coming out of the amp's chassis to a 1/4" end to fit into the attenuator then get another speaker cable to go from the attenuator to the speakers.
Quote by maggot2011
That's where your feedback is coming from. You NEED a noise gate with high gain amps.

Yep but you need to solder the wire coming out of the amp's chassis to a 1/4" end to fit into the attenuator then get another speaker cable to go from the attenuator to the speakers.

i lucked out both my speakers are already connected to a 1/4" jack that hooks into the chassis so the extra little 1/4" jack cable is the only thing i need

Orange TH30 Head
Orange PPC212-OB

DiMarzio Cables
Im glad you finally got to experience true metal tone!
I've bought, sold, and traded more gear than I care to admit.
I just cranked mine at 6 , it might have a bit more saturation, but not enough edge, I had to leave the room
Loudest ive had my amp in my house, with no attenuation is 4

At jams i have it on 5 or like 7-8 with the attenuator
Ibanez Jem 777BK, Carvin DC727, Fender MIM Strat
Mesa Boogie DC5
Xotic BB Preamp, Ts9, BBE GS, Boss DD-6
Weber Mass
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Ask me any questions about my gear!
One time I cranked my 100 watt traynor up to 10. But usually when I crank it it's around 7 or 4. but since I use a jaguar I get the squeeling so sometimes i gota stand far away.
80's Fender Jazzmaster
1976 Gibson L6s
Epiphone sheraton
Late 60's Univox High Flyer Custom Deluxe
Vintage fendr twin
Fuzz Face
Zakk Wylde Wah
Quote by jcp42877

my buddy had that problem during band practice.. he had the gain at 5.5, EQ was flat (all at 5 mainly) and the master at 5.

uncontrollable messy feedback..

the funny part was the other guitarist had the 5150 halfstack (with a sunn 4x12) and he could get his louder with NO feedback.. *shrugs* i like the 5150's but the feedback problem kind of turns me off on the combo.
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
playing it on 4 wouldnt be so bad if i played with the door closed 7 i was in another room, but my family lives here haha...

i guess ill just get an attenuator...hmm, would the weber mass 100 lite work for me? or do i need the standard weber mass 100?

and please dont suggest a thd hot plate...im sure theyre nice, but for the price id pay for one, thats almost 3/4 the price i payed for 5150..

the only thing that might make me buy it is that it has a built in noise suppressor, so that would save me from buying another $130 noise pedal

ugh SOOO much money...

Orange TH30 Head
Orange PPC212-OB

DiMarzio Cables
Quote by Tarzan_man
Are you sure it's actually saturation? I'm guessing you turned it up loud and went OMFG TONE +1 and all this epic poweramp saturation ****e i've seen on UG lately. You're probably getting **** ALL at 4 or 3. It's just louder and it has opened up and it's pushing the speaker harder to move more air. It's the Volume that sounds good not this overdriving the poweramp at a Volume level 4 crap. Don't waste your money on an attenuator. Noise gate is worth it tho.

so what are you basically trying to say? sorry i got confused at some of your response...
but i did understand the noise gate part.. and i do need one

Orange TH30 Head
Orange PPC212-OB

DiMarzio Cables
I'm saying. What you think is poweramp saturation PROBABLY is just the increase in volume and the fact the speakers are moving more air. Its not going to saturate at 2.5/3/4 it would have to be much higher up like 7 or 8 before you'd even get a twindge of it. Lately people have been seeing this Poweramp saturating = GOD TONE crap lately and they think if they turn their amp up to something "crazy" like 3 their getting it and want a attenuator to replicate that.

Poweramp saturation isn't that great for modern metal anyways, it can add unwanted sag and muddyness.
Quote by Tarzan_man
I'm saying. What you think is poweramp saturation PROBABLY is just the increase in volume and the fact the speakers are moving more air. Its not going to saturate at 2.5/3/4 it would have to be much higher up like 7 or 8 before you'd even get a twindge of it. Lately people have been seeing this Poweramp saturating = GOD TONE crap lately and they think if they turn their amp up to something "crazy" like 3 their getting it and want a attenuator to replicate that.

Poweramp saturation isn't that great for modern metal anyways, it can add unwanted sag and muddyness.

A 60W will breakup a lot sooner than a 120W so yes you can get some saturation at 4. Just opening up the amp at all sounds good. So yes an attenuator is worth it unless his problem right now is that it sounds weak and not bassy enough which is where volume comes in but I don't think that's his problem. An attenuator would so be worth it. I'm not sure on the difference between the Web Lite and Standard I'll look into it and be back for you TS .

EDIT

The standard has a whole three band EQ so that you can get the best possible tone at that low of a volume. The LITE only has an EQ for low-mids and mid-highs.
Quote by GoDrex
about the feedback: what kind of pickups are you using?

emg 81/89

Orange TH30 Head
Orange PPC212-OB

DiMarzio Cables
you can just crank the master and lower the channel volume(if your amp has that option)
Quote by maggot2011

A 60W will breakup a lot sooner than a 120W so yes you can get some saturation at 4. Just opening up the amp at all sounds good. So yes an attenuator is worth it unless his problem right now is that it sounds weak and not bassy enough which is where volume comes in but I don't think that's his problem. An attenuator would so be worth it. I'm not sure on the difference between the Web Lite and Standard I'll look into it and be back for you TS .

EDIT

The standard has a whole three band EQ so that you can get the best possible tone at that low of a volume. The LITE only has an EQ for low-mids and mid-highs.

AH! hmmm...i guess ill save up and try to find a good deal on ebay...or im wondering if the lite would be enough

Orange TH30 Head
Orange PPC212-OB

DiMarzio Cables
Quote by jcp42877
AH! hmmm...i guess ill save up and try to find a good deal on ebay...or im wondering if the lite would be enough

Definitely check eBay constantly. The LITE should be enough unless you're a complete tone Nazi.
Quote by Tarzan_man
Yeah I'm running a 60W cheers for that, you get **** ALL till you get to atleast 6. And thats barely any type of He's got the same powertubes as me aswell so don't try that. Opening it up only comes with the Volume, the attenuator just closes it back up again when it brings the volume down. Cutting the balls back out of the sound because it's not getting to the speaker to push them.

Read the first post. TS said he was digging the saturation coming out of it. Not the volume. 6505 combos are biased very warm so they break up rather easily. And if you don't think it has balls the attenuator can boost whatever frequencies you're missing.
Quote by maggot2011
Read the first post. TS said he was digging the saturation coming out of it. Not the volume. 6505 combos are biased very warm so they break up rather easily. And if you don't think it has balls the attenuator can boost whatever frequencies you're missing.

well actually, idk.. it might not have been saturation..one, well, because ive never heard 'saturation' before...everyone on here basically said turn it up to start saturating the amp, so i just assumed thats what the good sound was...it might've just been volume

Orange TH30 Head
Orange PPC212-OB

DiMarzio Cables
Page 1 of 2