Basically... I want to know anything I could use so I could reach the sounds of high gain, but keep my amp quiet enough for in my house, as my whole family hates it when I have my Post Gain at level 1!!

Any ideas or equipment I could look into buying??

thanks
Does your amp have a master volume? If so, use it.

If not, buy an attenuator.
If you have a big budget, I'd recommend a THD hotplate.
If you don't, ge a Weber Attenuator.
Quote by _-Joey-_
Basically... I want to know anything I could use so I could reach the sounds of high gain, but keep my amp quiet enough for in my house, as my whole family hates it when I have my Post Gain at level 1!!

Any ideas or equipment I could look into buying??

thanks

Re-amp your amp into another amp, or use an OD/distortion pedal or attenuator.
You'll need a load box (like a Hot Plate) & a separate power amp (any power amp works, even a home stereo receiver).

WE NEED A STICKY FOR CRANKED TUBE TONE AT LOW VOLUME!!!
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard
There's no point apologising for your feet smelling when there's a 300lb gorilla in the room taking a crap on the couch.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2011
Quote by Mike!
Does your amp have a master volume? If so, use it.

If not, buy an attenuator.
If you have a big budget, I'd recommend a THD hotplate.
If you don't, ge a Weber Attenuator.

post gain is a master volume.

TS: what kind of amp is it?
attenuators etc. won't help with a solid state. the amp should actually not sound different at low volumes than at high volumes. the only difference is that if you're playing super quietly, your speaker won't be worked, and that will result in mud.
Quote by al112987
post gain is a master volume.

TS: what kind of amp is it?

umm i dont think that's entirely correct..
Quote by al112987
attenuators etc. won't help with a solid state. the amp should actually not sound different at low volumes than at high volumes. the only difference is that if you're playing super quietly, your speaker won't be worked, and that will result in mud.

This.

Besides, if you crank your amp, it'll actually sound more like an iron rod being put through a wood chipper due to solid state clipping. Just keep it low or get some headphones.
You have a 100 watt amp! Why would you use it for bedroom levels? Doesn't it have a master volume?
buy a noise gate.
Ibanez RGR420EX
B.C. Rich MockingBird w/ EMG 81/85

Peavey Valveking 212 Tube Combo

Electro harmonix Metal Muff
Electro harmonix Big Muff
Dunlop Cry Baby Wah
Quote by alexlemon2
it is correct

No it isn't. On the Peavey Transtube series both channels have a Pregain and a Postgain along with a master volume which controls the overall volume of the amp!

Quote by the.spine.surfs
You need a quality solid state amp.

Peavey Transtube series ARE quality solid state amps. They are some of the most versatile and best sounding SS amps on the market (The only SS amps that I've found that sound better than Peaveys are Randalls). I owned an Envoy 110 for about two years and it sounded magnificent!
Quote by i_am_metalhead
No it isn't. On the Peavey Transtube series both channels have a Pregain and a Postgain along with a master volume which controls the overall volume of the amp!

Peavey Transtube series ARE quality solid state amps. They are some of the most versatile and best sounding SS amps on the market (The only SS amps that I've found that sound better than Peaveys are Randalls). I owned an Envoy 110 for about two years and it sounded magnificent!

Any post preamp volume is a "master volume." Master volumes are just controls that allow you adjust the amount of power feeding into the output section.
Last edited by al112987 at Aug 7, 2008,
Quote by al112987
Any post preamp volume is a "master volume." Master volumes are just controls that allow you adjust the amount of power feeding into the output section.

What? I owned a Peavey Envoy 110 (the smaller version of the Bandit 112 that we are talking about) and you set up the Pre and post gain and used the master volume to control the volume. So you could set the pre and post gain to whatever you wanted to get the desired tone and use the master volume to bring the volume down as low as you wanted it.
Quote by riffhog
Re-amp your amp into another amp, or use an OD/distortion pedal or attenuator.
You'll need a load box (like a Hot Plate) & a separate power amp (any power amp works, even a home stereo receiver).

WE NEED A STICKY FOR CRANKED TUBE TONE AT LOW VOLUME!!!

How do you do that again? Don't you use one of those discontinued Palmer DIs?
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Quote by i_am_metalhead
What? I owned a Peavey Envoy 110 (the smaller version of the Bandit 112 that we are talking about) and you set up the Pre and post gain and used the master volume to control the volume. So you could set the pre and post gain to whatever you wanted to get the desired tone and use the master volume to bring the volume down as low as you wanted it.

They put "master volumes" on multichannel amps to control the overall volume of both channels, but the "volume" or "post gain" controls are still master volumes and do the same thing, control what's fed into the power amp. The only difference is that one controls both channels at once, the other are for each individual channels. A non-master volume amp like an old marshall, hiwatt, fender, etc. doesn't have a post preamp volume control.
Quote by al112987
They put "master volumes" on multichannel amps to control the overall volume of both channels, but the "volume" or "post gain" controls are still master volumes and do the same thing, control what's fed into the power amp. The only difference is that one controls both channels at once, the other are for each individual channels. A non-master volume amp like an old marshall, hiwatt, fender, etc. doesn't have a post preamp volume control.

Ahh okay. I see what you're saying now.
Quote by i_am_metalhead

I love Transtubes. Really. I didn't say they wern't good amps.
Quote by the.spine.surfs
I love Transtubes. Really. I didn't say they wern't good amps.

Oh... well you said "You need a quality solid state amp". I thought you were saying that his Bandit 112 was a bad amp or something?
Quote by i_am_metalhead
Oh... well you said "You need a quality solid state amp". I thought you were saying that his Bandit 112 was a bad amp or something?

Whoopes, must of missed that. Just...practice, (not with a band) with an SS is a generally good idea.
id get a roland cube. probably my favorite practice amp ive ever used. put a microcube through a p.a. once and it got pretty brutal sounding. id actually like to have one as a backup at gigs.
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
I demo'ed the Cube vs Valvetronix in-store, for both cleans and really hi-gain the Vox smashed the Cube (imo) but I'm ready for another upgrade so today I demoed the Tiny Terror and it smashes my Vox, can't wait to get it.
Quote by aznrockerdude
How do you do that again? Don't you use one of those discontinued Palmer DIs?

The best way is having an amp that has a line-out feature, but you can use a Hot Plate set to load & use its line-out, & yes, I also have a Palmer PDI03 which is used in this case like the Hot Plate. The PDI03 was discontinued a number of years ago, & then re-issued by Palmer.
Typical signal chain would be this:

guitar>OD if desired>main amp>Hot Plate set to load>line-out of Hot Plate to digital FX or echo/reverb if desired>input of separate power amp. Cabs connected to power amp only.
Stomp boxes/pedals/EQs can be added between the guitar & your main amp, or between the Hot Plate line-out & the power amp. Different FX respond differently depending on their placement in the signal chain. ODs definitely belong right after your guitar.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard
There's no point apologising for your feet smelling when there's a 300lb gorilla in the room taking a crap on the couch.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2011