i know that to sweep pick you can only have one note playing at once so therefore you have to stop the note, but how do you stop it on the way up?
take your finger off the fret. Its a tecnique called 'rolling'. Ideally all your fingers should be off the frets except for the one that your playing.
hope you get my drift .. :S
Quote by marco515
take your finger off the fret. Its a tecnique called 'rolling'. Ideally all your fingers should be off the frets except for the one that your playing.
hope you get my drift .. :S

yes, but that easily makes a pull-off noise if you cannot nail it down correctly so practice. also you can try mute the strings with ur palm
鋼の錬金術師
most people have been telling me that to sweep pick properly you have to stop the note with your right hand right after you play it
As you are sweep picking upwards each finger should mute the previous string the you just picked. Make any sense?
Quote by Punkismygod
yes, but that easily makes a pull-off noise if you cannot nail it down correctly

You don't take your finger off the string straight away, you just lift your finger up so you're touching the string thus muting it.
How long did it take for some of you to learn sweep picking? This question is not for all you advanced players, but for those who consider themselves low intermediate players (I know, this is really subjective!). As a point of reference with my skill level, I played rhythm in a surf band years ago and can play lead with songs like Miserlou, Pipeline,Surf Rider, etc (easy stuff). I stopped playing for years until last October and am halfway though learning Canon Rock, but at this point I can only play it somewhat below full speed with a few mistakes.

I started learning sweeping a month ago, but I do not practice it every day.... it sure gets frustrating.

I hope the OP does not consider this hijacking the thread, and that my question may help him or her not get frustrated as I have.
sweep picking is hard to pick up but once you do, its pretty easy to get good at it.

I learned how to sweep pick about 4 years ago (I've been playing around 8 years and consider myself an intermediate guitarist). It took a lot of practice to get the hang of it, but eventually anyone can get it. After I stopped playing metal and shred music and stopped really using it, I can still do it, just not that well, I still use raking a lot though.
Last edited by al112987 at Aug 7, 2008,
I learned sweeping 2 years ago and ive been playing 3 years. I started off with bleeding mascara by atreyu, that got my 3 string sweeps down. Then I went on to learn Vela together we await the storm by the human abstract. Then I started to impovise and practice with sweeping, and thats how i learned. I can pretty much do anything with sweeping, the only thing I have a little trouble with is sweeping on the same fret.
Gear:

Esp Ltd DJ-600
Ibanez S520EX
Parker P 44 Pro
Traynor YCS100 Head
Traynor YCS412 cab
Boss NS-2
Boss DD20
Boss GE-21
Ibanez TS7
EH Soul Preacher
BBE Sonix Maximizer 462 rack
Thanks for the responses. I will keep working on it, hopefully someday I can get good enough to help somebody else learn this most frustrating skill.