This is not your typical burn out thread. I love to play and still do, but my favorite music is out of grasp, if you know what I mean (listen to trivium and older metallica stuff). They go so bloody fast and I despise mechanical metronome work.
I've been trying to accomplish these 5 songs for about a month now each ;
Trivium - dying in your arms
Trivium - the deceived
trivium - like light to the flies
Trivium - Entrance of the conflagration
Master of puppets

The problem lies in learning the solos. I caught the rythym bits easily (except Entrance), but the solos feel over-powering. I've only been playing a little over a year now, so I know I shouldn't be whining about this, but how can you practice these solos other than the typical metronome climbing?
Thanks in advance for everyone!
Rhythm guitar and lead guitar are two completely different beasts.

If you can do the rhythm that doesn't mean that you should be able to play the solos aswell , learn easier solos first instead of throwing yourself into the deep end.
Quote by Ballom
This is not your typical burn out thread. I love to play and still do, but my favorite music is out of grasp, if you know what I mean (listen to trivium and older metallica stuff). They go so bloody fast and I despise mechanical metronome work.
I've been trying to accomplish these 5 songs for about a month now each ;
Trivium - dying in your arms
Trivium - the deceived
trivium - like light to the flies
Trivium - Entrance of the conflagration
Master of puppets

The problem lies in learning the solos. I caught the rythym bits easily (except Entrance), but the solos feel over-powering. I've only been playing a little over a year now, so I know I shouldn't be whining about this, but how can you practice these solos other than the typical metronome climbing?
Thanks in advance for everyone!

Separate the solo in little sections

Pratice them slowly, preferable with a metronome but if it's kinda hardcores solo it's better to try without metronome to just like get the flow of the notes.

Practice practice practice.

Try to play it with all the little sections together
Try to play it with the song slowed down
Start with some easier solos of bands you like...just start off playing easy songs accurately...learn different techniques and just keep at it really....keep practicing it'll come naturally.
Try concentrating on just one song at a time. Learning 5 or 6 songs at once will limit the intensity of practice and concentration for each and every one of them. Learn one song properly, and then move on to another.

EDIT: Well if you were only doing one song at a time, then you obviously need some easier stuff. However, you may just be practicing the solos wrongly. Try breaking it up into phrases and nailing one phrase after another with the metronome until you've stringed the entire solo together.

Think one month is too long to spend on a song? I've been working at the same song for almost 4 months now, albeit it isn't on guitar.
Signature? What's a signature?

Quote by WlCmToTheJungle
the house burnt down
pics coming soon!
<.<
>,>

Quote by metalscott76
No!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Best theory lesson EVER!
Last edited by firebreath07 at Aug 7, 2008,
if you don't like using a metronome, don't use it.

just learn the timing by listening to the song
Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds.
you should think yourself lucky, i like paul gilbert
Quote by 20cdndollars
Quote by yurfinlfntsy
I HAVE to wear my kilt every Thursday...

I'm not sure why, though.

Me too!
We should start a support group.
Thanks for all the quick replies! Really appreciate it, ill try breaking them down then, but I still despise the metronome

^just hilarious keep on fighting
Quote by Ballom
^just hilarious keep on fighting

glad i could brighten your day
Quote by 20cdndollars
Quote by yurfinlfntsy
I HAVE to wear my kilt every Thursday...

I'm not sure why, though.

Me too!
We should start a support group.
erm i think malakians ones if i am correct were painted by his dad or something i no the signature he had was done by his dad as one of my mates has one and i can say it looks amazing, the iceman series are all very nice but i agreewith the other guys that you gotta try afew out and probably end up buyin one from a decently priced shop
Guitars
Custom Les Paul
Custom ZW Bullseye
Brunswick BD200CE
Epiphone ZW Custom Camo
Custom Fender Highway Tele Daphne Blue
Parker Nitefly M
Squier Classic Vibes Strat W/BKPs
Ibanez SZR720QM W/EMGs