As the title may suggest this is "another one of those threads...", Mods feel free to redirect or move this post if neccisary.

Basically(no pun intended) I have the dreaded ThunderBird and need advice.

Heres my story. When I bought it everything was perfectly fine as I was only using it for bedroom rocking and had no band. But now, 9 months down the track I'm n a band thats doing gigs quite regualry, and to be frank, the T-birds just to heavy for me to be standing around w/ for long peroids of time.

I need help as to what to replace it w/. I like the stranger shaped bass's, e.g the T-bird, that arn't too heavy, as I realise bass in general are heavy. A friend of mine, who actually the guitarist in my band, suggested I look into Krist Novoselic's bass's

Also for those of you who'd suggest i destroy the t-bird, I'd prefer not to, as I got ripped when I bought it. So my max for this bass would probably be about €350

Anymore question please ask.
Step one, get a decent strap. It isn't a huge investment, but it takes the weight issue out of most basses. Neck dive is another matter.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
I would say go second hand - go for an Ibanez SR500 or if you can get one, a SR700. Really light and very good basses. Check out Peavey's also - the Cirrus series is very good.
You can't comment on gear until you have tried it!
Well, to alleviate the weight, a good strap helps. Also, if you're willing to go to the trouble, moving the Thunderbird's strap button behind the neck heel solves the neck dive problem. Hopefully, that can help you until you get a hold of a new bass.

You might want to look into Ibanez, and maybe a Jazz bass if you want something lighter.
Maybe a vintage Peavey?

..or not....

A nice thin alder-bodied bass would be good for you. Look around. Ibanez is a good choice if you like the tone. Just make sure it's not one that suffers from neck dive...
Nope, no sig here.
What about those deans? although i've never actually played one they're made of basswood I think and my brother has a dean guitar (also basswood) and It's rediculously light...

But I agree with the guy who recomended a change in strap. - are you whereing it high enough?

Part of the allure of the bass (for me) is the weight !

Although it's slightly cringe-worthy try to practice standing up as much as possible.
Last edited by jimRH7 at Aug 7, 2008,
Quote by Phoenixrulz
Basically(no pun intended)

I stopped reading here.
Quote by breakdown123
Is there such a thing as a heavy riff with out chugging on the e string?
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
I stopped reading here.

Jee, that what helpful....

Thanks to everybody who made suggestion. My strap is made by Planetwaves, if that means anything to anyone. http://www.shopatron.com/product/part_number=44A02/421.0.16813.16835.16114.16843.16844 - 44mm Nylon

I've considered moving the strap button many times but a) I dont want to risk screwing up the bass and b) I'll be left w/ a hole in my bass, but aside from the weight and nose dive issue I really do love my T-bird so I'll have to put more thouht into the idea.

Quote by jimRH7
What about those deans? although i've never actually played one they're made of basswood I think and my brother has a dean guitar (also basswood) and It's rediculously light...

But I agree with the guy who recomended a change in strap. - are you whereing it high enough?

Part of the allure of the bass (for me) is the weight !

Although it's slightly cringe-worthy try to practice standing up as much as possible.

I wear it at about stomach level, should I change it?
surprised no one's suggested an aerodyne, however they're a bit above 350 euros, washburn do some smaller scale basses, smaller=less materials=lighter
Quote by 20cdndollars
Quote by yurfinlfntsy
I HAVE to wear my kilt every Thursday...

I'm not sure why, though.

Me too!
We should start a support group.
Mr Novoselic used mainly Gibson's, in particular the Ripper, and you aint gona find one for 350 euros, also they are pretty heavy, also used RD artists, again a vintage Gibson and on Bleach an Ibanez Black Bird, again vintage, so dont reckon you can do what your guitarist mate suggests...Ibanez as previously suggested may be a good idea,some are very light, though not the ATK series
Quote by the humanity
I'm just joking Moog. you know nothing can tear our friendship apart, not even the fact we are miles apart, I am right there beside you, yelling, "Chug it, ya little wimp!"
I have an Italian leather strap, about 2.5 inches wide. With this thing you can barely even feel a bass there. Problem is, I got it for $156, and they only ship to Canada (I had someone send order it and send it to me). As I've stated before: I like excessive things.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Moody-2.5-Black-Italian-Leather-Guitar-Strap-With-Cream-Back?sku=360726&src=3WFRWXX&ZYXSEM=0&CAWELAID=89697527

I've stopped using it since I got my No.1 Stretch, I can't feel my bass there at all with that one. Also, it being new leather, is impossible to remove from the instrument. Problem comes there also, Banned for sale in the US.
1978 Peavey T-40 -> Ampeg Micro-VR - > Ampeg SVT210AV + Ampeg SVT-15E
Last edited by CJ Noble at Aug 8, 2008,
Quote by Phoenixrulz
I wear it at about stomach level, should I change it?

Stomach level is a perfectly acceptable height, in my oppinion.

On the subject of strap width, I play with a cheap nylon guitar strap, and it does me OK, Though I don't play a thunderbird and I don't really know how heavy a genuine one actually is. plus it does dig in sometimes, i'd imagine it'd need a better strap if I was back gigging etc.
I would definatly Try a new, Wide soft strap though, cheaper than a new guitar !

I would like to re-enforce the importance of practicing standing up. I usually do it With the curtains closed cos I'm embarassed incase someone sees me - but that doesn't stop me striking the odd power pose once i'm up! ...is that lame ?
I don't know, but it really helps make you feel comfortable when you're playing elsewhere standing up. power stances are not a neccecary part of the exercise.
Thanks to everyone, espically jimRH7, I figure I'll change the strap buttons position and get a new softer strap. Hopfully that will fix most of my problems.
Quote by Phoenixrulz
Thanks to everyone, espically jimRH7, I figure I'll change the strap buttons position and get a new softer strap. Hopfully that will fix most of my problems.

Not softer....wider...wider straps help distribute the weight across your whole shoulder.
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
Out on parole, any more instances of plum text and I get put back in...