are you even aware of what a tremello does?
Quote by Mo Jiggity
What he said. You are a wise man for not buying into the hype.

ya hear that...he thinks im wise
a floyd tremelo is for your guitar to be in-tune for a period of time.
So you could do whammy bar stuff with your guitar and it wont get out of tune.

a normal one doesn't keep your guitar in-tune as much.
but its probably worth it to buy a guitar with a floyd rose tremelo rather than trying to installing it. installing is not worth your time!
Quote by GoDrex
the guitar you posted doesn't have a trem

a floyd is better for extreme use - and the locking nut keeps it in perfect tune. it also has fine tuners.

lol sorry wrong link http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/yamaha-pacifica-812v/13078

yeh sorry meant to post to the yamaha pacifica 812v and was wondering why some people would choose a floyd rose over that style of trem, I am looking at loads of different guitars like ibanez rg1570 washburn x40/50 pro and godin freeway floys and am just interested in what makes a floyd different
My Beginner setup:
Ibanez rg321mh
Roland Micro cube
Last edited by lwayneio at Aug 7, 2008,
Quote by jackpotmoney
that is not a floyd rose tremelo.

try looking at this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Floyd_Rose

yes i know its not im asking what makes that one different to a floyd rose i know what they are just not what the advantage is. Guitars like the ibanez rg1570 have a floyd (edge pro) and some guitars have a vintage style trem but whats the difference? thats all im asking
My Beginner setup:
Ibanez rg321mh
Roland Micro cube
Locking tremolos are kind of stupid, IMO. The increase in range really isn't justified by not being able to detune. But the difference is that locking tremolos go farther up and down.
Dickless.
Quote by MetalMilitia212
Locking tremolos are kind of stupid, IMO. The increase in range really isn't justified by not being able to detune. But the difference is that locking tremolos go farther up and down.

aw okay so it moves up and down more and keeps the guitar in tune better, Thanks guys I just didnt know what the difference was except for the visual one of the floyd looking way more complex.
My Beginner setup:
Ibanez rg321mh
Roland Micro cube
Quote by MetalMilitia212

i would like a reason on why they are stupid
Quote by vvshred
i would like a reason on why they are stupid

i think he gives you one if you read it lol. I dunno the floyd looks complicated but a lot of the guitarists i like use them so there must be a reason. I guess you could just get a nice hardtail for drop tuning and use the floyd for standard.
My Beginner setup:
Ibanez rg321mh
Roland Micro cube
the floyd rose is a bitch to tune, but will keep your strings in tune permanently and allow you for tons of whammy bar tricks. your choice if thats your kinda thing or not

"The mind is its own place, and in itself

Can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n"

- John Milton, Paradise Lost
generally speaking, floyds let you do the most extreme whammy abuse and remain in tune, while vintage trems are better for subtle vibrato. ones like that yamaha, or a wilkinson, or similar, are kind of in-between.

that yamaha is a great guitar; so's the ibanez rg1570. godins are generally pretty nice too (but i have no idea how good their floyds are).

that's probably not much help...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by MetalMilitia212

but if you set up a vintage or other non-floyd trem to float, it's almost equally as difficult to detune...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
but if you set up a vintage or other non-floyd trem to float, it's almost equally as difficult to detune...

what does that mean mate? to make it float? and to the above opinions you gave on the guitars it does kinda help cos at least i know i cant go too wrong with any i get, I am liking the yamaha because it seems easier than the ones with the fr but i wouldnt mind waiting and saving more and getting one with a floyd and a x50 pro hardtail.
My Beginner setup:
Ibanez rg321mh
Roland Micro cube
Quote by MetalMilitia212

You're likewise kind of stupid.

If you want to detune then you don't get one, however not every guitarist is you and not everyone feels the need to tune down to drop-silly so they can play mong's powerchords with one finger. Even if you want to play in low tunings you can have one, you just need more than one guitar.

TS, don't get a floyd yet - you've still got a lot of learning to do and at this stage it'd just hinder your progress.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
yeh thats what im thinking cheers for that steven, what would you say i should do then? I was thinking of getting a washburn x50 pro, or shall i stick it out with my current set up and keep saving? My guitar fret buzz isnt as bad as it was so i suppose i can live with it for a while. When will i know enough to warrant a floyd btw? lol. I might try to buy a boss me-50 or something similar off ebay or something i quite like buying new things it injects a bit more fun into practice cos it gives me somin new to mess about with
My Beginner setup:
Ibanez rg321mh
Roland Micro cube
^ it really depends on how badly you want a floyd-style tremolo.

Quote by lwayneio
what does that mean mate? to make it float? and to the above opinions you gave on the guitars it does kinda help cos at least i know i cant go too wrong with any i get, I am liking the yamaha because it seems easier than the ones with the fr but i wouldnt mind waiting and saving more and getting one with a floyd and a x50 pro hardtail.

float means it's not screwed tight to the front of the guitar, so that you can raise and lower pitch with the trem.

Quote by MetalMilitia212
Reread my post sugar****s.

i already did and i think i lost 4 IQ points. I don't want to drop any lower.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by lwayneio
yeh thats what im thinking cheers for that steven, what would you say i should do then? I was thinking of getting a washburn x50 pro, or shall i stick it out with my current set up and keep saving? My guitar fret buzz isnt as bad as it was so i suppose i can live with it for a while. When will i know enough to warrant a floyd btw? lol. I might try to buy a boss me-50 or something similar off ebay or something i quite like buying new things it injects a bit more fun into practice cos it gives me somin new to mess about with

I wouldn't worry about buying anything new for a good while yet, just worry about learning to play. As you progress and get better you'll get an idea of the type of player you're going to be and what kind of equipment will suit you best. An amp would be the first thing you'd be looking to invest in, but that's still going to be something like a year down the line.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
They aren't so difficult to tune or restring. I've restrung my Floyd 3 times, 1st was a bit dodgy, 2nd was better, third was perfect. Tuning isn't complex either.
RULE BRITANNIA
yeh well i dont really need one so i doubt il bother, my brother just bought a guitar the other day (its his first) and it has the zr trem (ibanez s470) and he can barely play a chord so i dont see why he bothered i told him to get a hardtail as its easier to deal with and change strings and stuff but he reckons he can just pay the techs to do it but at £40 + strings a time whats the point? he refuses to go anywhere else but masons as well becuase muse and led zeppelin get guitars done there but they also charge double the price its stupid. but yeh i think il try to find a washburn x50 pro i can try cos im curious as to the neck.
My Beginner setup:
Ibanez rg321mh
Roland Micro cube
Quote by Cobain_Is_King
They aren't so difficult to tune or restring. I've restrung my Floyd 3 times, 1st was a bit dodgy, 2nd was better, third was perfect. Tuning isn't complex either.

well i wouldnt even know where to start and im not great at those kind of things especially when trying to learn from the internet, i might as well wait till i can learn it from somone in person so i can actually see how to do it.
My Beginner setup:
Ibanez rg321mh
Roland Micro cube
Quote by lwayneio
well i wouldnt even know where to start and im not great at those kind of things especially when trying to learn from the internet, i might as well wait till i can learn it from somone in person so i can actually see how to do it.

I think it would be much easier to have someone show you first, I looked it up here on UG but just had a go at it myself and got used to it.
RULE BRITANNIA
yeh il wait till i can find someone to teach me, a friend of mine has an ibanez jem 7v (that he got signed by steve vai) and he doesnt know how to set it up or anything he gets someone to do it for him every couple of weeks, I would never buy such an expensive guitar if i didnt know how to set it up he plays it through a peavey bandit 112 as well which i think is pretty silly. He has a joe strummer tele and some jackson dinky as well its nuts. I havent even heard him play anything good lol.
My Beginner setup:
Ibanez rg321mh
Roland Micro cube
Hey, dude, if you want a floyd I'd read up in the sticky about them up top and look around on youtube.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
schecters have original floyds, i would buy another!
SUBSCRIBE!

Gibson SG faded, black hardware/ EMG81-89
peavey 6505+
GMajor Effects Processor
BBE 362 sonic maximizer
THD Hotplate
Avatar 2x12 w/ Hellatone 60/ K100
Behringer FB1010
Quote by oneblackened
Hey, dude, if you want a floyd I'd read up in the sticky about them up top and look around on youtube.

yeh thats what im gunna do but i aint great at understanding stuf by reading it
My Beginner setup:
Ibanez rg321mh
Roland Micro cube