A friend told me about two months ago that he had an older amp some man that lived in a trailer they owned died and left, so I jumped at the chance to get it. Did not know what it was until today when he brought it here, and lo and behold it was quite a suprise.

Its a Fender Deluxe. This is known specifically as Brown Deluxe. It was made between 1961 and 1963. Its 14 watts roughly, has a normal and a bright channel.

This is a no haha

So in its current state it is non-functional. My plan is to replace the power and output transformers, all of the electrolytic capicators, and the tubes. I will also replace the two prong plug with a much safer 3 prong. The grille cloth will be redone in its normal color, and the tolex will be cleaned. One pot will be changed because it has collapsed inward. The switches and jacks will be cleaned up and then tested to see if they can still be used. The speaker will also be tested to see if it can be used. If so it will be cleaned up, otherwise I am looking at getting a weber speaker.

Just thought you guys would like to see it. I will start work on it soon.
Quote by Invader Jim
You lucky son of a bitch...

I know man, I have a guitar coming sometime soon. It sounds like its some sort of either fender strat or strat copy. Its apparently as old, so hopefully it will be a fender. You do have quite a nice collection of older guitars haha.
So the amp doesn't work.........

Well me better rip out some probably really nice 40 odd year old transformers and replace them with some inferior new ones...

Damn, now why would you go do that? I really doubt your problem lies with them... They would be the last thing I would replace. Not just cause it will cause the value of your amp to crash but also cause they are generally nice transformers.

Despite your crappy pictures the amp looks like its in decent shape. The electro cap job and power chord conversion are a must, thumbs up.

Anyways do those things...look it over..look for burned stuff and all. Maybe clean up the wiring and solder joints here and there. Then fire it up, see how it goes. Then start troubleshooting. Who knows maybe it is one of those damn transformers and youll get to replace them, SWEET!

Is this a model 6G3?
You are correct. I believe the problem lies in the power transformer. I will be looking at Mercury Magnetic replacements, or possibly winding some of my own with a professors help. Basically the 120volts from the wall are getting to the transformer, but nothing comes out from there. The output looks to be in fairly good condition. The power transformer is rusted to the point that I think moisture may have gotten into the windings, which is deffinetly a problem if it was wound on paper bobbins, which I believe that it was.

Any reccomendations on caps for the amp. The speaker is dead. Hooked it up to another amp and did not get anything out of it. It will be worked on at college with the same professor who may help me wind transformers. Looks like it will cost about 300 or more to fully repair if I do it myself.

Joints will be cleaned up, I may get another fiber board and rewire onto that, the one that it currently has is collapsing.

As far as cleaning up cosmetics what would everyone suggest to remove rust. I know steel wool will have some of an effect. I don't want to use a chemical unless I know it won't damage anything else. The jacks will probably be replaced with switch craft or cliff. It currently has carling switches, and I may need to replace one of them.
Ok if it is rusted then it must definatley be replaced.....

Electro caps must be nice new American made ones... Sprague Atoms are basically the only electroltyic caps I use in my amps.

Sounds like you dont care about destroying the vintage value whioch is cool. You want it to run its best unlike many "collectors" who dont care about tone and just want original 50s leakey caps.
Quote by kurtlives91
Ok if it is rusted then it must definatley be replaced.....

Electro caps must be nice new American made ones... Sprague Atoms are basically the only electroltyic caps I use in my amps.

Sounds like you dont care about destroying the vintage value whioch is cool. You want it to run its best unlike many "collectors" who dont care about tone and just want original 50s leakey caps.

Yeah man, I love working on the stuff. I mean, I want it to look like it originally did too. I'ma redo the tolex and grille cloth, partially because the guy who had it before me must have spray painted the grille cloth, and possibly the cab itself. The tolex is a very dark black now, not at all like brown should age. And the brown that was not covered has faded.

I'll have to look and figure out how sprague atoms would work in this amp, they are usually much larger than the capacitors that are in the power section of this amp.

I'm more for getting as close to the vintage tone as I can than the actual vintageness of the amp. I don't really plan on selling it, one because its from a very good friend of mine, and two because i've never seen another brown deluxe in person. And if I was to sell it I would rather this thing get played at its best than by someone who just has it sitting around. All of the vintage parts will be saved though.

Here are some more pictures - their all from my camera phone, once I get back to school sunday i'll borrow a camera from my roomates and take a few pictures.

rusted power transformer. Will probably order a Mercury Magnetic replacement or wind my own once I figure out the taps.

output transformer looks to be in good shape. I will order or wind one just to avoid any possible waits if I find out it is bad.

Power supply caps on the top of the chassis. Mostly 16uf 450v. All caps will be replaced. Cloth wiring will be kept for the vintage look and ease of soldering.
Capacitors and power cable ordered today. Got Sprauge Atom TVA for all of the electrolytic and orange drops for all of the other film. I will leave the ceramic capacitors in as of right now. Transformers will be evaluated after capacitors and power cord is replaced.
Updates finally roll around. The old power transformer was indeed dead. After replacing the power transformer I removed the ground switch from the circuit, will leave it on the back for looks but I do not like the idea of removing ground.

Had an unfortunate accident in which my multimeter somehow shorted a switch while the amp was on, lost power to my room the whole story similar to what Kerry experienced when working on the VF-10 if you remember. Found out that the problem is with the fuse holder. There is no complete circuit even with a fuse inserted so that will be replaced tomorrow. The amp should be working soon enough.

As a side not I will more than likely have a thread about building a 2x12 with a Weber 12A100 (vintage series) and a Weber Blue Dog (30W version) for my Delta Blues.