How do regular chords figure into the overall scheme of learning to play the electric guitar? Is it more beneficial to just learn power chords and individual notes. I'm asking because it seems to me when learning electric when learning rock, normal chords dont figure into it so much. Am I wrong? Would love to hear some opinions.
Chords are the basics of guitar and a lot of rock uses chords and arpeggios. Barre chords are also very common in "punk" rock.

Edit: You can't run without learning how to walk, or even crawl. Chords = crawling at the moment.
Last edited by Ze_Metal at Aug 7, 2008,
It is completely necessary to learn regular chord shapes as it is the foundation for everything else in guitar. If you don't take your guitar playing seriously and just want to play easy rock bands like Green Day you can just focus on power chords.
learn everything you possibly can about the guitar, you never know when you might need to know it.
basically there are no shortcuts then yeah? If I want to have my own band if i want to play in a band. If I want to even play by myself I have to learn EVERYTHING about this instrument. This is gonna take some time.
When you need to play more complicated chords power chords won't do it.
Quote by Haunted_embrace
How do regular chords figure into the overall scheme of learning to play the electric guitar? Is it more beneficial to just learn power chords and individual notes. I'm asking because it seems to me when learning electric when learning rock, normal chords dont figure into it so much. Am I wrong? Would love to hear some opinions.

They're just about the most important concept - everything leads back to chord progressions, rhythm playing, power chords, riffs, soloing, writing songs, working out basslines, jamming with other musicians etc.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com