I use my fingers to play bass, and I can't figure out how to play muted notes. Do you just strum it lighter than usual, is it similer to tapping, or what? I'm sorry if this has been asked before, I checked but couldn't find anything on it. Thank you.
well, what i do is i rest my fingers on top of the string but dont press down, also, there is palm muting (best fro guitars, not so much bas), where you place your palm on the string(s) you're playing the strum. the key is not to press down on either mute, but to hold it in place
You just play the note while lightly touching the string instead of holding it down.

At least that's how it is for guitar. It might be different for bass... >.>
Too lazy to make a sig right now. I'll do it some other time.
muting: if you play a right handed guitar, rest your left hand lightly on the fret you wish to mute and pick, finger or slap.

palm muting: rest your right palm on the bridge and play that string. This technique is used in metal. It is easier if you use a pick

have fun playing your bass
Lightly pressing the string seems to work, not so much the palm muting because bass necks aren't as wide as guitars. Thank you all!
Bass necks are eaily as wide as guitar necks. The strings are spaces further apart. It just doesn't sound really good.

However, as fare as muting goes, rest a finger on the string you wish to mute so you get a sound, but not a note. Watch out though, as muting in some places will form a harmonic, which is undesirable when trying to mute (try over the 12th, 7th and 5th frets for an example of a harmonic, so you can recognise them.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1