Hey guys. Weird question. I just bought a used Peavey Classic 30 Tube which I'm pretty much in love with. It's a terrific amp. The guy had an extra cab to go with it for an extra $200 which I opted not to buy (I don't REALLY need it...but, how much guitar gear do we really NEED, right?) since I play in a small house and am trying to save a little cash.

Anyway, I've got my old Crate 30 watt lying around. Nobody wants it and it's just taking up space so I was wondering if I could somehow set it up as an external speaker by bypassing the amplifier, and make my own little half stack. I can plug it straight into the input but then it sounds like total garbage.

Thanks for your assistance! rock on
Last edited by drewfromutah at Aug 7, 2008,
It would be possible if theres an external connection on the cab. I know my bass combo has one, but idk how many guitars do. Otherwise, it's probably not possible, or a lot more difficult.
You can also wire the speaker itself to a jack and use the extension speaker jack on the C30.
...to give your love no matter what is what she said...
Quote by rageandlove04
You can also wire the speaker itself to a jack and use the extension speaker jack on the C30.

But couldn't the resistance cause a problem.

I don't wanna diss you, but you gotta be careful when you start telling people to wire up their guitar amps.
Quote by drewfromutah
I just bought a used Peavey Classic 30 Tube
They've got you too. I'm sorry.

No, don't use a carp Crate speaker. It's not worth it. If you must, make sure you match impedances.
These go to eleven...
Quote by Cutlass_253
But couldn't the resistance cause a problem.

I don't wanna diss you, but you gotta be careful when you start telling people to wire up their guitar amps.

Do you mean impedance? I'm not sure if resistance plays any role in a situation like that. I should have added that the TS should be sure to match impedance, but I'm not sure that resistance is an issue. I'm not trying to start an argument, so if I'm wrong, please enlighten me

edit: Unless resistance and impedance are two terms that can be used interchangeably. Then I'm just causing pointless trouble I've never heard that before, but they are both measured in Ohms and "resist" and "impede" can both have similar definitions...I dunno. Now you've got me thinking
Last edited by rageandlove04 at Aug 7, 2008,
Quote by rageandlove04
Do you mean impedance? I'm not sure if resistance plays any role in a situation like that. I should have added that the TS should be sure to match impedance, but I'm not sure that resistance is an issue. I'm not trying to start an argument, so if I'm wrong, please enlighten me

edit: Unless resistance and impedance are two terms that can be used interchangeably. Then I'm just causing pointless trouble I've never heard that before, but they are both measured in Ohms and "resist" and "impede" can both have similar definitions...I dunno. Now you've got me thinking

Electrical impedance, or simply impedance, describes a measure of opposition to a sinusoidal alternating current (AC).

The ohm (symbol: Ω is the SI unit of electrical impedance. The ohm is the electric resistance between two points of a conductor when a constant potential difference of 1 volt, applied to these points, produces in the conductor a current of 1 ampere, the conductor not being the seat of any electromotive force.
I meant impedance. Sorry, lol. I'm not sure if they're interchangeable or not, it just kinda slipped my mind.
Quote by Cutlass_253
I meant impedance. Sorry, lol. I'm not sure if they're interchangeable or not, it just kinda slipped my mind.

Impedance is a measurement of resistance so they aren't interchangeable lol
i wouldnt do it. the crate speaker is crap. also, using the jack on the C30 might bypass it's own speaker, making the whole idea pretty useless lol
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
^The Peavey speaker sucks too, and no it doesn't bypass it.
So do you have the combo or the head? If combo don't bother, if head buy a cab.
I have the combo. I don't really need the extra umph yet so I'll probably bag the idea and if I ever do need it, try to find a matching peavey cab.