Poll: What do you think is easier?
Poll Options
View poll results: What do you think is easier?
lead guitar and sing
14 26%
rhythm guitar and sing
24 45%
bass and sing
10 19%
drum and sing
5 9%
Voters: 53.
What do you think is easier to play and sing at the same time.

lead guitar and sing

rhythm guitar and sing

bass and sing

drum and sing

And sorry if this is the wrong place.
Last edited by aerosmithfan95 at Aug 7, 2008,
Rythm guitar is probably easiest. Next in line would be bass (Unless you're playing it fast like in "Run to the Hills), then...hmm tough one there. Lead guitar and drums are probably close to equal, depends on how fast and how technical it is. If your playing a solo and trying to sing, it's very hard. I have no experience with drums so I wouldn't know how much mental energy you put into it.
They are each only as difficult as you make them and therefore this discussion is largely pointless.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Lead and singing, because you generally don't do both at the same time.

Quote by The.new.guy
If your playing a solo and trying to sing, it's very hard.

Who sings while soloing? It's called a solo for a reason.
Quote by Sonicxlover
Kensai, I think I'll get a flamboyant sig.

Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Parker Nitefly Mojo sonnn
Jackson DK2M Dinky
Carvin Legacy
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Cube 30X
Last edited by Sonicxlover at Aug 7, 2008,
probably bass is the easiest, for it tends to have the most simple of lines. usually just single notes at different rhythms. rhythm guitar is way more complicated. i think lead and rhythm are equally difficult, unless you're shredding at light speed. that way it's more difficult.
but yeah, probably playing drums and singing is the most difficult. take what mike portnoy does for instance. the dude has such elaborate drum lines, it would be really difficult for him to sing the whole song (he does sing backing vocals once in a while)
I'd say in order from easiest to hardest, it's bass and vocals, then rhythm guitar and vocals, then lead guitar and vocals, and finally drums and vocals.
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
It's much easier to play guitar while singing than play bass while singing. Basslines are usually quite far removed from the vocal melody.
I don't know, I am leaning between rhythm and singing and bass and singing. I suppose it could depend on the type of music, if you have to play something really complex and sing at the same time it could be hard I guess. I can't really speak from experience when talking about singing, but I have played rhythm guitar and bass before a little bit.
Listen to what smb is saying because he's right.
I'm guessing most of you are arrogant guitarists who are saying that bass is easier because of the simple root basslines that bassists play in mainstream music now. Anyone who plays guitar and bass AND sings will tell you that bass is harder to play and sing at the same time. Look at the ratio of guitarist singers to bassist singers. It's huge; and what does that tell you?
Quote by guitarhero_764
I think you need to stop caring what people think about it. I stayed home all day today and masturbated like 5 times. Fucking blast.

Ibanez ATK300 ◈ Sansamp VT Bass ◈ EHX Nano Small Stone ◈ Hartke LH500 ◈ Ashdown/Celestion 115
Quote by ScottB.
I'm guessing most of you are arrogant guitarists who are saying that bass is easier because of the simple root basslines that bassists play in mainstream music now. Anyone who plays guitar and bass AND sings will tell you that bass is harder to play and sing at the same time. Look at the ratio of guitarist singers to bassist singers. It's huge; and what does that tell you?

that guitarists are the ones who usually step up to that role / are better singers than the rest / are the bandleaders and decided so.

you're the one being arrogant for saying everyone is arrogant in this thread.
Quote by RCalisto
that guitarists are the ones who usually step up to that role / are better singers than the rest / are the bandleaders and decided so.
so you think guitarists are just generally better singers? who's arrogant again?
Quote by smb
so you think guitarists are just generally better singers? who's arrogant again?

nope. i think whoever took the role on the band of singing, is a better singer than the rest of the band.
Quote by RCalisto
nope. i think whoever took the role on the band of singing, is a better singer than the rest of the band.
But that wasn't the question.

I'm a much better bassist than I am a guitarist, but I find it a lot easier to sing while playing guitar. Your experience may vary.
basslines are usually the same as guitar lines, but much less complex. i have no idea what you've been playing, but what i've been playing, basslines are much more simple. simplicity = easiness of playing.
Quote by RCalisto
basslines are usually the same as guitar lines, but much less complex. i have no idea what you've been playing, but what i've been playing, basslines are much more simple. simplicity = easiness of playing.

Exactly! Because the music you've been playing has boring basslines that doesn't mean in any that basslines as a whole are easier than guitar
Quote by guitarhero_764
I think you need to stop caring what people think about it. I stayed home all day today and masturbated like 5 times. Fucking blast.

Ibanez ATK300 ◈ Sansamp VT Bass ◈ EHX Nano Small Stone ◈ Hartke LH500 ◈ Ashdown/Celestion 115
Quote by ScottB.
Exactly! Because the music you've been playing has boring basslines that doesn't mean in any that basslines as a whole are easier than guitar

As was already pointed out:

Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
They are each only as difficult as you make them and therefore this discussion is largely pointless.

Neither guitar or bass are exactly hard except at the very extremes of playing and if you're at those extremes you're very unlikely to be singing anyway.

My point is that because bass tends to be single-note stuff rather than chords and double stops in most songs, the bassline is usually the counter-melody. I find it very difficult to play one melody and sing another. When you're playing chords it's much easier, because the vocal melody will almost always be notes from those chords. It's easier to get your head around in my opinion.
rythym guitar is most likely the easiest
Brigardier of the Seven String E.R.G. Legion
Fiddles
Ibby RG7321 lundgren M7 bridge, blaze7 neck
Ibby AX7521
Ibby RT452
Ibby RGIR20FE
Peedahls
I'll get back to you.
Heeds
Crate GT3500h
Sunn Concert PA
Crabs
Peavey 2x12
Quote by fixationdarknes
As was already pointed out

And I thought no one listened to me...I was considering quoting myself because of all the fail in this thread
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by The.new.guy
Rythm guitar is probably easiest. Next in line would be bass (Unless you're playing it fast like in "Run to the Hills), then...hmm tough one there. Lead guitar and drums are probably close to equal, depends on how fast and how technical it is. If your playing a solo and trying to sing, it's very hard. I have no experience with drums so I wouldn't know how much mental energy you put into it.

i think lead guitar would be the hardest to do if you are trying to improvise a solo. if it were something planned out it might be easier. with drums it would be closer to rhythm guitar where you have a set beat to play for the most part. obviously there can be fills and what not. but id imagine playing a complicated lead part and singing would be very hard. and ive tried. i think it would be rhythm guitar as easiest, then bass, then drums, then lead guitar. of course though, depending on what you are playing, each one could be just as hard.
Quote by Blind In 1 Ear
i think lead guitar would be the hardest to do if you are trying to improvise a solo. if it were something planned out it might be easier. with drums it would be closer to rhythm guitar where you have a set beat to play for the most part. obviously there can be fills and what not. but id imagine playing a complicated lead part and singing would be very hard. and ive tried. i think it would be rhythm guitar as easiest, then bass, then drums, then lead guitar. of course though, depending on what you are playing, each one could be just as hard.

Who sings aaaannndd soloes/plays really hard lead at the same time anyway?
Quote by guitarhero_764

Quote by ScottB.

Exactly, that's what I said.
Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Parker Nitefly Mojo sonnn
Jackson DK2M Dinky
Carvin Legacy
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Cube 30X
Quote by ScottB.

Try playing Glasow kiss or Loved to Deth in guitar while sing and I bet you will stfu. Bass is easier to play while singing more than guitar but it can get hard at times but not more than guitar. I think that people are saying that bass is more technical than guitar because they want bass at the same level as guitar but the truth is it isn't in technical terms. The most technical bass songs are not as technical as the most technical guitar songs, fact. I know that bass can be technical and all but I don't like when people are trying to put it up aganist guitar and make guitar seem like a tasteless instrument.

If you think that Bass is harder than rythm/lead guitar while singing you are serious an idiot or fooling yourself.
Last edited by The Behemoth at Aug 9, 2008,
Quote by ScottB.

Alexi Laiho, Muhammed Suiçmez, and James Malon.

It more of the hard fills of the songs while playing the songs.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
And I thought no one listened to me...I was considering quoting myself because of all the fail in this thread

Hah, I got yer back. Yo, where does your username come from? Did you make it up?
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr

I'm going with that one.

*Closed*
(Slightly outdated) Electronic and classical compositions by m'self: Check 'em out