Theres a used fender bassman head with a matching 2x12 cab at the music shop near my house, i'm guessing that it was made in the late 80's or something. It's selling for $850 does anyone know if thats a good deal?
Gear:

MIA Fender Stratocaster
Jackson Kelly KE3
Ibanez Universe
Marshall JCM 800
Orange Jim Root Terror
Mesa 2x12
Ovation Custom Balladeer
pedals and such in profile
Actually it can't be late 80's, no Bassmans were made from 83-90 (and in 1990 it was the 4x10 1959 combo reissue).

If it's late 70's, let it pass, they're really bad!
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
thanks for the info, i dont think im going to buy it, saving up for a Dr.Z anyways
Gear:

MIA Fender Stratocaster
Jackson Kelly KE3
Ibanez Universe
Marshall JCM 800
Orange Jim Root Terror
Mesa 2x12
Ovation Custom Balladeer
Some bassmans were very good, some were very bad. Some are said to be the worst amps fender ever made! How many watts is it? What colour is the face plate?
Not taking any online orders.
its 50 watts, it has a black face plate
Gear:

MIA Fender Stratocaster
Jackson Kelly KE3
Ibanez Universe
Marshall JCM 800
Orange Jim Root Terror
Mesa 2x12
Ovation Custom Balladeer
BUY IT NOW. Those are the best ones.
It's from 1963-1967, so get it.

PS: If you don't want it, give me the seller's number. I'll pick it up
Last edited by Mike! at Aug 7, 2008,
Quote by Mike!
BUY IT NOW. Those are the best ones.
It's from 1963-1967, so get it.

PS: If you don't want it, give me the seller's number. I'll pick it up

are you serious? thats pretty cool, im going to play it tomorrow and check it out.
Gear:

MIA Fender Stratocaster
Jackson Kelly KE3
Ibanez Universe
Marshall JCM 800
Orange Jim Root Terror
Mesa 2x12
Ovation Custom Balladeer
I played a '69 one. Those are considered to be the worst ones due to their circuits. It was the best sounding amp i've ever played. I can't even imagine what a blackface sounds like.
Well, you're lucky, and I still need a Bassman!
Quote by Mike!
I played a '69 one. Those are considered to be the worst ones due to their circuits. It was the best sounding amp i've ever played. I can't even imagine what a blackface sounds like.
Well, you're lucky, and I still need a Bassman!

Actually, the late 60's ones arent considered as bad as their late 70's counterparts. Was it just a Silverfave 'Bassman' (no Amp, 50, 70, or 100 after the word Bassman).

At one point i was saving up an early 60's Blonde Bassman, but eventually just settled for a Deluxe Reverb.
Ibanez AFS75/Fender Strat Plus > Fulltone Deja' Vibe > Keeley TS808 MOD+ > Fulltone OCD > VanAmps SoleMate > Metro JTM45
I tried a very early SF Bassman, which I believe still kept the BF circuitry.
It was alright, and the price was right, but for guitar applications, I prefered a super reverb type amp.
But, try before you buy, and have some other amps lined up to try.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Most blackface bassmans were not really blackface! They had a hybrid silverface/blackface.

The blackface bassman from 1965 and later (circuit ab165) wasn't a very good amp but if you like to tinker it can be made into a good amp by rewiring the negative feedback circuit, changing to an ajustable fixed bias, and changing the cap that feeds the phase inverter.

The blackface bassman that was before 1965 had real blackface tone when stock.

An ab165 bassman should cost arounf $500 if it's in really good condition. With a cab that could easily push the price up to $800 or $900. If I were you I'd try and talk them down to $800 if it's made after 65 and if it's made before 65 then jump on it while you can.
Not taking any online orders.