Almost every time after we finish a show my index finger on my right hand is bloody as **** and there's a giant gash here my nail meets my finger. I can only assume this is because of my finger racking against strings for the past hour...

Anyway, is this normal? What should I do? I usually can't play for a day or two afterwards to let my poor finger heal.

Any ideas?
use a band aid?
i have this problem sometime but not as intense.
i might have tiny flap of skin on m pointer finger that sometimes rubs against the strings and hurts.
but it duznt bleed or anything.
so try a band aid i guess idk
band aid?
Quote by metalcore123
I hate trying to cover up my cheese in school because the bimbo next to me dislikes the smell of pure love.

I'm bringing farts back!
Can't say if it's normal or not. Everyone has different types of skin. A few things I can recommend;

Try lighter strings. This should relieve some of the strain on your fingers.

Change strings regularly.

Clean strings after use.

There's a liquid - which I can't remember the name of which hardens the skin. You should ask for some at your local pharmacy.

If you can't find a solution perhaps you should go to a doctor or dermatologist and see what they recommend.
Flap it and enjoy yourself...

Xbox Live GT = The Donkey Fly
'...and those who fought on that day of honor, the day of victory shall be forever remembered as Lime Green' - Oct 31st 08
Just tape your fingers up. Kirk Hammet does it to prevent that happening.
ALWAYS

WANNA BE WITH YOU,
MAKE BELIEV
E WITH YOU,
AND L
IVE IN HARMONY, HARMONY,

OH, LOOVE!
It's happened to me before too, with the end result being blood sprayed all over the pickguard of my friend's guitar. All it takes is a little practice to change your form so that your hand isn't hitting the strings when you strum, nothing major.
Ain't nothin wrong, ain't nothin right, and still I sit and lie awake all night...
get your mummy to kiss it better

or tape
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
mabe you should consider using a guitar with scalloped frets? though extreme, it would work.
If it's your fretting hand, try lighter guage strings and get the nut filed and the action lowered, perhaps you're pushing far too hard on them.

If it's your picking hand, all I can suggest is try not to be as aggressive or loose with your hand, slaming againts the strings isn't so good...
Quote by Blast For Satan
If it's your picking hand, all I can suggest is try not to be as aggressive or loose with your hand, slaming againts the strings isn't so good...

+1

If something that isn't picking the strings hits the strings you're doing it wrong.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
maybe your alergic to the nickel in the strings? Bjorn of In Flames is, but that's the only person i know who has that problem. More than likely you've got too heavy a gauge for your fingers on there. Lighten up the gauge, or just take skin from...less used...areas and glue em to your fingertips like Stevie Ray Vaughn!

Seriously though, lighter gauge, or just try building thicker calouses.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
+1

If something that isn't picking the strings hits the strings you're doing it wrong.

+2
Jackson DK2M Dinky Pro W/ EMG 81/85 18v Black
ESP LTD EC-1000 W/ EMG 81/60 See Thru Blue
Schecter C-1 HellRaiser W/ EMG 81TW/89 Black Cherry
Peavey 6505 W/ 2x12 V30
I have the same problem, when I have my gain on full I use my pinky to mute the other strings and rubs until it bleeds sometimes, so if anyone has a solution to this that would be great.
Rawr! I'm a dinosaur