do any of you guys know the specifications for what eddie van halen had?
im trying to put it in my fender strat guitar and i am very unsure what kind to order.
cuz theres like wax potted, and tone stuff and i dont know any of that stuff
how do i know what specifications eddie had?
like should i do Humbucker: E-to-E 1.940 or Trembucker E-to-E 2.080"
Single conductor or four-conductor
i just want something good for van halen sound
Quote by steven seagull
He never used it.

this is true. he used a PAF he pulled from an ES-335. I believe he rewired and wax potted it too.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by jackpotmoney
how do i know what specifications eddie had?
like should i do Humbucker: E-to-E 1.940 or Trembucker E-to-E 2.080"
Single conductor or four-conductor
i just want something good for van halen sound

do you have a trem or no? are you going to use coil taps or no?
Tone comes from your fingers and not from your equipment or wallet :P

It wont matter on the tone if its trembucker spacing or regular spacing. If you're gonna use a Strat type bridge or a Floyd Rose then order the trembucker version. Thats not whats going to affect your tone. You really need to do your research if you want to build a decent Frankie replica. There are a ton of sites out there with really good info, while others have no clue. I'll point you to a few that I know of that will be useful. I have the '78 model pickup and to be honest its awesome...for me. I was looking for a vintage output humbucker and after listening to some videos and audio files it had what I was looking for, EVH tone or not. Does it have an EVH tone? Yes but so does my Seymour Duncan SH-11 in a way.

Here are the sites...
http://www.shredaholic.com/frankie.html
and also..
http://wwwc.dcns.ne.jp/~epi/english.html

What you gotta remember is that his guitar was only a portion of his tone. His amp, effects, and most importantly the way he played/plays is more important. So don't be surprised if you spend all this time and effort trying to build this axe and it comes out sounding completely different then what you hear on the album or live.
2003 Music Man Axis Pacific Blue Burst
i sorta want something to make left hand tapping for louder and that "brown" sound. something good for soloing.
that brown sound is very hard to get.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by jackpotmoney
i sorta want something to make left hand tapping for louder and that "brown" sound. something good for soloing.

His sound was pretty much all in the amp, all that reverb, the Phase 90 the way he hooked everything up and the way he played - the pickup was just incidental. Any open-sounding PAF voiced pickup will do, arguably something a little hotter than he actually used would be a better bet to save you having to run an amp quite so hard.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
listen to all these people. its all in your fingers.

I GOT BLISTERS ON ME FINGAS!

but seriously. how hard you hit the strings, what angle, where on the body you hit it... it all starts there.

scales you use, chords you like, how meaty you play your instrument, how low you tune. it all affects stuff first.

then its strings and picks.

then its your amp.

then your pickups.

and then the wood, neck joint, frets, blah blah blah...

its all in the fingers.