Hi, I recently bought a used B-52 AT-100 head on ebay and it didn't come with a footswitch and I thought I might be able to build one. I have no experience with soldering or building electronics so I thought this would be a good place to start. I was wondering if anyone had a wiring diagram I could use. Can they just be drawn up or do you need the original wiring diagram?
In case it helps, the foodswitch has 4 buttons: Gain, Channel, Reverb, Effects. It has to wires coming out ( I think the wires have 2 plugs on them, where could i get something like that?) Also where would I get a body or enclosure for it? Thanks for the help.
Quote by Invader Jim
The questions people ask here makes me wonder how the TS's dress themselves in the morning and can shower without drowning...

Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Mesa Boogie Rect-O-Verb Combo
Marshall JMP-1

Amp Restoration

SG Build
The buttons are the push ones that are on foot pedals. I think it switches between gain 1 and 2. Channel is for clean and overdriven if that's what your asking.
Quote by Invader Jim
The questions people ask here makes me wonder how the TS's dress themselves in the morning and can shower without drowning...

Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Marshall JMP-1

Amp Restoration

SG Build
Pretty much your looking at something like this... Below is a picture of the one i built for my Ultra.

And the orginal schematic will make life alot easier. As for parts local electronics places should have them. I picked up the parts for this one at a place called Fry's Electronics. But I had to tap my own holes and so forth. You can find some DIY enclosures online and already tapped as well. But soldering skills will be a good thing to have.
Last edited by IbanezPsycho at Aug 7, 2008,
I don't think there's gonna be an original wiring the footswitch. B-52's website doesn't really have anything about the thing.
Quote by Invader Jim

Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Marshall JMP-1

Amp Restoration

SG Build
Ok so I looked at the manual for it and it has 2 footswitch jacks. It shows that gain is the ring part of the first jack and the channel is the tip. They all share grounds. The second jack has the effects as ring and reverb as the tip. You would need two TRS jacks and 2 stereo cables.

Also, don't be shy. They may send you a schematic if you e-mail them about it. I did the same with Crate and they sent it too me in about a day.
Quote by Peradactyl
alright, off topic but how do i make forum posts

Quote by The_Paranoia
a4lrocker is an offical thread legend.
Quote by a4lrocker
Ok so I looked at the manual for it and it has 2 footswitch jacks. It shows that gain is the ring part of the first jack and the channel is the tip. They all share grounds. The second jack has the effects as ring and reverb as the tip. You would need two TRS jacks and 2 stereo cables.

Also, don't be shy. They may send you a schematic if you e-mail them about it. I did the same with Crate and they sent it too me in about a day.

So does that mean that they're stereo cables? I found some on/off switches. I need something like this right?

Edit: oops didn't see the second part of that sentence. what are TRS jacks?

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?parentPage=search&pg=1&summary=summary&cp=&accessories=accessories&productId=2062519&kw=switch&techSpecs=techSpecs&currentTab=custRatings&custRatings=custRatings&features=features&sr=1&y=8&retainProdsInSession=1&origkw=switch&x=5&support=support&numProdsPerPage=100&tab=summary
Quote by Invader Jim

Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Marshall JMP-1

Amp Restoration

SG Build
They are just stereo jacks. The reason I use that term is because some look like stereo but really just have a NC switch type thing. Anywho the cables are stereo though. If the footswitch is like mine then you should only need SPST switches. If you want I could post the schematic I used just to give you a general idea.

EDIT: Nice find on the switch too. I couldn't find a normal stomp in SPST anywhere
Quote by Peradactyl
alright, off topic but how do i make forum posts

Quote by The_Paranoia
a4lrocker is an offical thread legend.
Quote by dlabooda

Correct your gonna need and on off switch but that model switch is insanely big and deep so it would be a pretty tall pedal.

Heres the style of switchs I prefer...

Heres a sample schematic i was able to find of a basic design your looking at...

Last edited by IbanezPsycho at Aug 7, 2008,
yea, I did this with my B-52 at 112 combo, but I didnt use a wiring diagram. Basically theres some kinda logic inside the amp, when the hot cable gets connected to ground it switches the channel. I just used a mono cable, but with a stereo cable you can control more things.

Basically you just need a switch that will connect the tip to the ground cable, and another switch that connects the sleeve to the ground cable... I made mine out of an old boss MT-2 pedal, just stripped the guts
-------------------------------
Faded Gibson SG Special - Black ice mod
Seymour Duncan SH-5 in bridge
B-52 AT 112
Ted Weber Mass100 attenuator
EHX Small Clone
EHX Metal Muff
DIY Modded tubescreamer
Dunlop 535Q Wah
Wax Potting tutorial
Uhh I looked at your diagram but what is the tip, ring, and sleeve and what's the deal with grounding? One idea I had was instead of having the cables built in, I would have jacks to I would just use a regular cable with plugs on both sides. IbanezPsycho, where would I get a switch like that? I guess I'll just take a trip to my local radio shack and see what they have.

Edit: Just a little side note, but what do the 4 letters stand for, like SPST or DPDT?
Edit again: how about this switch?
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2049717&cp=&sr=1&origkw=on+off+switch&kw=on+off+switch&parentPage=search
Quote by Invader Jim

Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Marshall JMP-1

Amp Restoration

SG Build
Last edited by dlabooda at Aug 7, 2008,
fwiw, you can buy 4 button footswitches with LEDs and cables, ready to go from musician's friend and other outlets. $50~$60. not a bad deal.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
fwiw, you can buy 4 button footswitches with LEDs and cables, ready to go from musician's friend and other outlets. $50~$60. not a bad deal.

It isn't a bad deal but I'm broke right now and I figures I could build a basic one for a lot less. Not to mention, I want to get into more advanced electronics building and this would probably be as good a place as any to start.
Quote by Invader Jim

Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Marshall JMP-1

Amp Restoration

SG Build
Quote by dlabooda
Uhh I looked at your diagram but what is the tip, ring, and sleeve and what's the deal with grounding? One idea I had was instead of having the cables built in, I would have jacks to I would just use a regular cable with plugs on both sides. IbanezPsycho, where would I get a switch like that? I guess I'll just take a trip to my local radio shack and see what they have.

Edit: Just a little side note, but what do the 4 letters stand for, like SPST or DPDT?
Edit again: how about this switch?
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2049717&cp=&sr=1&origkw=on+off+switch&kw=on+off+switch&parentPage=search

3 - Tip
2 - Ring
1 - Sleeve
4 - Insulator

I prefer jacks like these my self makes things easier and alot neater..

As for the switch hit up some local electronic stores or order on line..

Heres an explanation I found on SPST and DPDT.. Dont worry about the meanings so much as to what they do.. SPST Single Pole, Single Throw DPDT Double Pole,
Double Throw

That radio shack switch is going to be a cheap switch not made for stomping..
Where can I get a jack like that? I have no idea how I would wire that.
Quote by Invader Jim

Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Marshall JMP-1

Amp Restoration

SG Build
Quote by dlabooda
Where can I get a jack like that? I have no idea how I would wire that.

Most of this stuff your probably going to have to order online... And wiring it is easy just imagine its the 1/4 plug in the picture. Its going to be plugged into the jack and your three prongs coincide with the 1/4 plug.
Quote by IbanezPsycho
Most of this stuff your probably going to have to order online... And wiring it is easy just imagine its the 1/4 plug in the picture. Its going to be plugged into the jack and your three prongs coincide with the 1/4 plug.

Any sites you would recommend? On that picture of the jack, it looks like there are 3 sets of tabs. 2 sets must be for the switches but what would the other one be for?

Edit: How about this switch? http://www.generalguitargadgets.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=shop.flypage&product_id=119&category_id=8&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=45
Quote by Invader Jim

Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Marshall JMP-1

Amp Restoration

SG Build
Last edited by dlabooda at Aug 9, 2008,