Page 1 of 2
Every so often (a few times a day) people post threads about headphones. Therefore, I made this thread for any headphone related questions, suggestions, and whatever else.

Here's a "guide" to buying headphones. This is taken from a link that Pauldapro will soon post

Suggestion for amping:
"0" denotes amp usually included/bundled
"1" denotes amp not needed.
"2" denotes amp recommended.
"3" denotes amp required.

Under $70

IEM/Earbud
1-JVC Marshmallow (FX33, 34) ($15) Bassy, recessed mids and highs. I love them with rock. Great value. Kramer mod helps these a lot.
1-Creative ep630 ($23)
1-JVC Air Cushion ($30) These sound similar to the marshmallows, but with better detail and no recessed mids/highs.
1-Sennheiser cx300 ($30) Lovely midrange, and very strong bass (although uncontrolled) Highs are the weakness of this phone.
1-Yuin pk3 ($39)
1-Jays j-jays ($50)
1-Shure e2c ($60)
1-Crossroads Mylarone x3i/xbi ($57 and $65)
1-Yuin pk2 ($69)
1-Etymotic er6 ($70) Very detailed. Good mids/highs. Slightly lacking the bass department
1-Ultimate Ears Super.Fi.3 ($70)
1-V-moda Vibe($70) Very muddy, not a lot of detail. no highs to speak off.
2-Altec Lansing im716 ($100) Currently on sale @buy.com for $49

Open Headphone
1-Koss KSC75/35 (Clip-on) ($13) Very good value. Some bass bloat, good mids and sparkly highs.
1-Sennheiser px100 ($33)
1-Koss Portapro ($35)
1-Sennheiser HD515 ($60)
1-Grado sr-60 ($69) Wonderful liquid mids! Amazing with guitars. Not harsh to me, but to some. Lacking in bass.

Closed Headphone
1-Sennheiser HD201 ($22)
1-AKG k81dj ($54) Bassy dj headphone. Better with some damping. Good for rap and Hip-Hop

$70 to $150

IEM/Earbud
1-Sony ex90 ($95)
1-Jays D-jays ($99)
1-Westone UM1 ($109)
1-Shure e3c ($119)
1-Super.Fi.5 Pro/EB ($130-$150)
2-Yuin pk1 ($139)
1-Sennheiser CX95 ($140)

Open Headphone
1-Audio Technica ad500/700 ($100 and $130)
1-AKG 240S ($85)
1.5-Sennheiser hd555 ($95) Availalbe in 50 and 120 ohm versions.
1-Grado Sr80/sr125 ($95 and $149)
1-Alessandro MS-1
2-Goldring DR150 ($135)
2-Sennheiser hd580 ($160)

Closed Headphone
1-Sony Mdr-v6 ($71) A very neutral headphone. Good mids, highs. No bass bloat IMO.
1-Sennheiser HD280 ($80) Extreme isolation in a closed Headphone. Slightly anemic bass.
1-Audio Technica a500/700 ($98 and $140) Very balanced overall sound. Good for rock and metal. Speedy, controlled bass. Cheap pleather pads.
1-Equation rp21/rp22x ($85-$90) Plenty of awesome bass. Slightly recessed mids, good highs
1-Audio Technica ES7 ($110)
2-Beyerdynamic DT770 PRO ($150) Bass monsters! Also a good gaming/movie watching 'phone.
1-Denon d1000 ($130)

$150 to ~$200

IEM/Earbud
1-Shure e4c (~160)
1-Jays q-jays ($170)
1-Atrio M5/M8 ($180)
2-Etymotic ER4p ($180) Very detailed, awesome highs and Mids. Bass is lacking to some. Sound is wonderful with a Mini-box E amp (Bass boost)

Open Headphone
2-Sennheiser hd595 ($180) Available in 50 and 120 ohm versions
1-Grado Sr225 ($180)
2-AKG k501 ($190)
3-Beyerdynamic DT880 PRO/2005 (~$200)

Closed Headphone
2-Sennheiser HD25-II ($175)
1-Audio Technica a900 ($200) Massive soundstage, strong bass, and comfort are its strong points. Great for movies and jazz. Slight weakness in the low-midrange. Crappy pleather Pads.
2-Beyerdynamic Dt250 ($200)
2-AKG 271s ($185)

$200 to $300

IEM/Earbud
0-Stax SR001/003 ($230)
1-Shure SE530PTH ($280)
1-Earpiece Livewires ($250 plus impressions)
1-Ultimate Ears Triple.Fi.10 ($299)
1-Westone UM2 ($299)

Open Headphone
2-Sony Mdr-F1 ($240)
3-Sennheiser HD600 ($240)
2-Grado SR-325i ($249) Most aggressive Grado. Sharp metallic sound with fast attack + decay. Great pair for electric guitars.
3-Beyerdynamic dt990-2005 ($250)
3-AKG k701 ($250) Detailed phones with wide sound stage. Amp dependent for good bass. Often compared against HD650.
1-Ultrasone PROLine 2500 ($263)
2-Audio Technica ad1000 ($330)
2-Alessandro MS-2i ($299)

Closed Headphone
2-Denon D2000 ($260)
2-Ultrasone PROLine 750 ($263)
?-Audio Technica ESW9 ($280)

$300 to $500

2-Headphile Darth Beyer ($370 to Whatever you can imagine!)

IEM/Earbud

2-APureSound Etymotic Er4p
?-Klipsch Image ($350)

Open Headphone
3-Sennhesier HD650 ($325) Dark headphone with ample bass. Very amp/source dependent. A whole new level of awesome when balanced.
0-Stax SR303 ($350)
2-Sony SA5000 ($350)
2-Grado Hf-1 ($350 to $400)
0-Stax SR404 ($450)
2-Grado Rs2 ($495) Liquid mid-range and if used with flat pads, slammy bass. If 325i is too sharp, this is the 'phone to go for.
2-Audio Technica AD2000 ($499)
0-Sony Pfr-V1 ($499)

Closed Headphone

3-Audio Technica w1000 ($399)
3-Denon D5000 ($559)

More Than $500

IEM/Earbud
Westone ES-2
Ultimate Ears UE-10 pro ($900 + Impressions)
Ultimate Ears UE-11 Pro ($1,150 +Impressions)
Sensaphonics 2X-S

Open Headphone

2-Grado Rs1 ($695)
2-Alessandro MS-Pro ($699)
2-Grado GS1000 ($995)
2-Grado Hp-2 (~$1400)
3-Grado Ps-1 (~$1400)
0-Stax Omega 2 ($1850)
Closed Headphone
3-Audio Technica w5000 ($699) Woody headphone which is known for troublesome fit and being picky about amplification. If used successfully - very worth the trouble.
3-JVC/Victor DX1000 ($889)
2-Ultrasone Edition 9 ($1,499)
Quote by Chrisiphone
Oh wow this is a guitar forum!
Quote by JacobTheMe

Karvid is sexy

Quote by KAS1981
Why is it that some folks quote praise from other members in their sig lines?
Its lame.
Last edited by Karvid at Aug 7, 2008,
A noble deed, but one to go to waste. Nubs won't search up an only headphone thread to ask their questions.
Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
Quote by darkstar2466
A noble deed, but one to go to waste. Nubs won't search up an only headphone thread to ask their questions.

In that case, their threads will be reported and closed. More fun for the report-police
Quote by Chrisiphone
Oh wow this is a guitar forum!
Quote by JacobTheMe

Karvid is sexy

Quote by KAS1981
Why is it that some folks quote praise from other members in their sig lines?
Its lame.
Quote by moe lestor
cool, my headphones always break which is uber lameeeee

same here... maybe someone should start by suggesting good headphones?
HEADPHONES F*CK YEAH
Quote by OrangePossum
Yep, it's Soviet UG versus bdfs05.

good luck.

Quote by bdfs05
fuck yea i got sigged

Quote by MyNameIsLame

When you're in the Pit, substitute any valid, reasonable answer with one of the following: fap, smoke pot, drink alcohol, rape, and/or murder.
I've got the Ultimate Ears Super.Fi 5 Pros, they're awesome. In ear, comfortable (for my ears anyway), and sound great. There's an extended bass version for those who are into that sort of thing, but I like the more even sound of the Pros.
Quote by InvaderTSN
What's a decent non-in ear earbud that's around $20-30?

JVC Air Cushions. They're pretty bassy, but very budget ear buds.

Also, I'm joining this "club". I love my Sennheiser PX-100's!

INTOLERANCE IS IGNORANCE

Quote by kosmic
Holy Moses.
haha
...wUT R TEH HEDSHOTZ?
Fender Jaguar -> Polytune -> Diamond Compressor -> Timmy -> OCD -> Big Muff -> Line 6 M9 -> Sonomatic Cheddar -> Spark boost -> Fender BDRI
Quote by InvaderTSN
What's a decent non-in ear earbud that's around $20-30?

i have some sweet sony ones for 29.99...they broke but it was my fault. i'll get you the model in a sec.

k..i have these ones i think and they worked great for me, cheap and not bulky at all.

headphonez

i didn't read the earbud part so my post is pretty much irrelevant. sorry.
Last edited by tona_107 at Aug 7, 2008,
Quote by tona_107
i have some sweet sony ones for 29.99...they broke but it was my fault. i'll get you the model in a sec

I don't really recommend you get Sony at all. They are meh at best. Muddy bass, low highs is all you're going to get. I have a pair of studio ones and they are ****. Get anything Sennheiser, Grados, Shure, Koss. Avoid Sony and Bose. Bose for the same reasons as Sony.

INTOLERANCE IS IGNORANCE

Quote by kosmic
Holy Moses.
haha
Quote by Pauldapro
I don't really recommend you get Sony at all. They are meh at best. Muddy bass, low highs is all you're going to get. I have a pair of studio ones and they are ****. Get anything Sennheiser, Grados, Shure, Koss. Avoid Sony and Bose. Bose for the same reasons as Sony.

try and find something by any of those companies for 20-30 bucks.
Quote by tona_107
ahaah and under the earbud section, not ONE was under 30 bucks...soooo...try again maybe?

Uh...maybe use your eyes and brain?

Under $70

IEM/Earbud
1-JVC Marshmallow (FX33, 34) ($15) Bassy, recessed mids and highs. I love them with rock. Great value. Kramer mod helps these a lot.
1-Creative ep630 ($23)
1-JVC Air Cushion ($30) These sound similar to the marshmallows, but with better detail and no recessed mids/highs.
1-Sennheiser cx300 ($30) Lovely midrange, and very strong bass (although uncontrolled) Highs are the weakness of this phone.

Dumbass.

INTOLERANCE IS IGNORANCE

Quote by kosmic
Holy Moses.
haha
Quote by Pauldapro
Uh...maybe use your eyes and brain?

Under $70

IEM/Earbud
1-Creative ep630 ($23)

Dumbass.

ahah hmmm the first two ARE under 30 dollars yes, but they are also not the brands you mentioned. the sennheiser is not under 30 dollars. although it IS 30 dollars...so i guess i'm being an ass. i'm still right though.
I got a pair of Skullcandy.

*prepare for flaming*

But all the other ones were Bose, so...
Quote by HuckIt
I didn't find it that funny when I saw myself doing him in missionary position...

Quote by Oblivion_Rps
I was having sex with a female dolphin. In the dream I was like:
"YEEEEEEEAAAARGH I'M SCREWIN' A FEMALE DOLPHIN!!!" and when I woke up I was like:
"... wtf"
Quote by tona_107
ahah hmmm the first two ARE under 30 dollars yes, but they are also not the brands you mentioned. the sennheiser is not under 30 dollars. although it IS 30 dollars...so i guess i'm being an ass.

Read my post to the TS, I recommended a JVC earbud. If you're asking the question of a good headphone for something small like 30 dollars, good headphones are out of the question. Would you rather have a Squier (good beginning, BEGINNER guitar) or an Ibanez/Fender/Gibson/Jackson? You get what you PAY for. JVC is decent for budget earbuds, nothing more nothing less. Sennheiser and the other brands I've mentioned are for high quality ones.

EDIT: you're wrong.

INTOLERANCE IS IGNORANCE

Quote by kosmic
Holy Moses.
haha
Quote by Pauldapro
Also, I'm joining this "club". I love my Sennheiser PX-100's!

Hell yes, I owe a pair of PMX 100 and they are simply amazing. They have received quite a rough treatment and they still work perfectly fine, good as new. I use them just about for everything even though they are simple street-style headphones. Listening good drum n' bass with them is sick.
Quote by Wiirdo
I got a pair of Skullcandy.

*prepare for flaming*

But all the other ones were Bose, so...

Bose is meh. Skullcandy is crap. You're not really getting much of a difference mate .
Bose is overpriced, the quality is terrible, and overall just plain bad in comparison for the lower price + quality of the other brands mentioned.

INTOLERANCE IS IGNORANCE

Quote by kosmic
Holy Moses.
haha
Quote by InvaderTSN
I will check it out. Thanks.

No problem dude. Might as well check out that website I mentioned, head-fi.org. Tons of "audiophiles" will be more than happy to recommend you some more choices.

INTOLERANCE IS IGNORANCE

Quote by kosmic
Holy Moses.
haha
Quote by Pauldapro
Read my post to the TS, I recommended a JVC earbud. If you're asking the question of a good headphone for something small like 30 dollars, good headphones are out of the question. Would you rather have a Squier (good beginning, BEGINNER guitar) or an Ibanez/Fender/Gibson/Jackson? You get what you PAY for. JVC is decent for budget earbuds, nothing more nothing less. Sennheiser and the other brands I've mentioned are for high quality ones.

EDIT: you're wrong.

i never said it was worth it to buy 30 dollar headphones (unless that's all you can afford) because i agree with you there.

and i know i'm wrong, because i didn't see your first post lol...but that doesn't mean you're right...haha (i know it DOES, in case you decide to be an ass)
Quote by Pauldapro
Bose is meh. Skullcandy is crap. You're not really getting much of a difference mate .
Bose is overpriced, the quality is terrible, and overall just plain bad in comparison for the lower price + quality of the other brands mentioned.

I know. I should have waited to get better ones, but my other ones were messing up, so it was just an impulse buy.
Quote by HuckIt
I didn't find it that funny when I saw myself doing him in missionary position...

Quote by Oblivion_Rps
I was having sex with a female dolphin. In the dream I was like:
"YEEEEEEEAAAARGH I'M SCREWIN' A FEMALE DOLPHIN!!!" and when I woke up I was like:
"... wtf"
Quote by tona_107
i never said it was worth it to buy 30 dollar headphones (unless that's all you can afford) because i agree with you there.

and i know i'm wrong, because i didn't see your first post lol...but that doesn't mean you're right...haha (i know it DOES, in case you decide to be an ass)

Well I'm a freak when it comes to music reproduction (no, not that kind. the kind where you can hear it, not music making out lol). Yeah I did come across as an ass, because I am one. Tell ya the truth, the money is worth it. If you save like, 10 or 20 more bucks you can already get some high quality ones on the internet. Heck, 50 bucks can get you MY headphones too, if you look in the right places.

INTOLERANCE IS IGNORANCE

Quote by kosmic
Holy Moses.
haha
When I was researching the Sennheiser HD 280's most of the places said open headphones had better sound quality than the sealed ones. So, is the ambient noise blocking worth the quality, or is there only a small discrepancy? Also, I heard that the 280's were "honky" sounding, is this a big deal?
Quote by Pauldapro
Well I'm a freak when it comes to music reproduction (no, not that kind. the kind where you can hear it, not music making out lol). Yeah I did come across as an ass, because I am one. Tell ya the truth, the money is worth it. If you save like, 10 or 20 more bucks you can already get some high quality ones on the internet. Heck, 50 bucks can get you MY headphones too, if you look in the right places.

i'm too deaf to tell the difference between ok headphones and good headphones. i am the furthest from being an audiophile. it sucks.
Quote by hippiebass
When I was researching the Sennheiser HD 280's most of the places said open headphones had better sound quality than the sealed ones. So, is the ambient noise blocking worth the quality, or is there only a small discrepancy? Also, I heard that the 280's were "honky" sounding, is this a big deal?

Well, closed headphones are GENERALLY better than than open air. Mine are open air, but better than cheap dollar store earbuds, amirite? And I've been told that the Sennheiser HD280's are great, and ALOT of UG uses that pair. When it comes to ambient noise, it isn't that big of a deal. You can still hear the music fine and the detail SHOULD stay pretty tight if it's a good pair. Plus, you can still hear whatever the hell is going on around you. Also, check out Grados if you're looking for closed cans.

EDIT: To tona_107: Apparently I'm tone deaf according to some test thing. I can still hear notes fine and recognize them, and still hear sound quality differences.

INTOLERANCE IS IGNORANCE

Quote by kosmic
Holy Moses.
haha
Anyone here ever use Skull Candy? My friend lent me some the other day, and I must say I was surprised. They are actually pretty damn good, they feel sturdy and the sound quality is pretty sweet.
Quote by Pauldapro

EDIT: To tona_107: Apparently I'm tone deaf according to some test thing. I can still hear notes fine and recognize them, and still hear sound quality differences.

i didn't mean tone deaf...but like actually deaf...like from listening to my ****ty ipod in ear headphones too loud. (among other things of course)
Quote by Pauldapro
Well, closed headphones are GENERALLY better than than open air. Mine are open air, but better than cheap dollar store earbuds, amirite? And I've been told that the Sennheiser HD280's are great, and ALOT of UG uses that pair. When it comes to ambient noise, it isn't that big of a deal. You can still hear the music fine and the detail SHOULD stay pretty tight if it's a good pair. Plus, you can still hear whatever the hell is going on around you. Also, check out Grados if you're looking for closed cans.

Which Grados? I've only seen open ones like the SR60. Do you have any recommendations for closed cans under $120?
Quote by Wiirdo
I know. I should have waited to get better ones, but my other ones were messing up, so it was just an impulse buy.

It happens. I wanted Bose too. I saw a commercial and it advertised "OMFGZORZ NOISE REDUCTION! NOW YOU CAN HEAR OUR ****TY QUALITY EARBUDS/HEADPHONES EVEN BETTER LOLOLOL!". What crap. Sure, it LOOKS okay, but it's as bad as a Behringer bass amp sometimes.

Tona_107: That's the reason why I started using different phones' cause the ipod ones messed some of my hearing.

INTOLERANCE IS IGNORANCE

Quote by kosmic
Holy Moses.
haha
Quote by hippiebass
Which Grados? I've only seen open ones like the SR60. Do you have any recommendations for closed cans under $120?

Errr.... Grados is the best of the best. Which means...... your wallet = crying. They are expensive. They are the Gibsons of headphones in the guitar world. Expensive but worth it. And what kind of headphone are you looking for? Do you like heavy bass, good midrange, excessed highs?

INTOLERANCE IS IGNORANCE

Quote by kosmic
Holy Moses.
haha
Quote by filthandfury
Anything Sennheiser.

agree sennheiser is the shyt. ear buds or headphones i got both. they are not top end more mid lower end in the sennheiser lineup and then are cracked up and no problems. no jack problems. plus they have a warranty for 3 yrs covering everything.
音乐是生活
Music is Life

Ibanez RG2550Z, Edwards Jimmy Page LP Relic Custom, 06 Fender Clapton SS, Line6 Spider III 112, Peavey Classic 30, Boss HD-1, Boss Green Label Chorus, Boss SD1 Overdrive, MXR Fuzz, Blues Breaker
Page 1 of 2