Page 1 of 2
So I got bored, and I haven't played this guitar in forever, and thought if I messed it up some it would be a sweet back up guitar for live shows to rock the **** out of. So I went at it with a sanding belt, lighter, WD40, brake cleaner fluid (nasty nasty stuff) and a bit of off white spray paint.

I think it turned out pretty sweet
Last edited by Say Ocean at Aug 7, 2008,
You f***ed it up dude.

You don't even deserve that. My little nephew's strat with power ranger stickies is more badass than what you got here.
Quote by breakdown123
Is there such a thing as a heavy riff with out chugging on the e string?
the sanding ruined it, some of the burn marks look pretty cool but dont leave it like that it looks really really really really ugly, really.
incubus rocks my world
Quote by Say Ocean
glad you like it

No man, quite the opposite. You're in denial. This guitar is wrecked. You wrecked it.
Quote by breakdown123
I completely disagree, I'm all for respecting instruments, but its not like he went Pete Townsend on the thing.

Besides, it looks pretty good
-----X <NICKY XIII> X-----
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
No man, quite the opposite. You're in denial. This guitar is wrecked. You wrecked it.

Haha I know, I was being sarcastic. It was already pretty ****ed up and I hadn't used it in a year, so I thought I'd give it a hand
...I guess... :[
Quote by breakdown123
Hmm... it's.. "Interesting...as tits on a whale".

I wouldn't get into relicing instruments if I were you, however.
Pick flowers not fights.
Make love not war.
Drop acid not bombs.

Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
You f***ed it up dude.

You don't even deserve that. My little nephew's strat with power ranger stickies is more badass than what you got here.

Way to be completely awesome. I doubted before today, but yes, I'm quite sure of it now; there is no one more awesome than you, expressly for the reason that you troll around boosting your ego by berating the efforts of others. What could be cooler? Congratulations.

To the TS: Trying guitar modding and building stuff is always fun, and there's no better way to get going then on your starter guitar! Looks pretty rockin'

EDIT: if you want to sharpen it up, I suggest sanding it all the way up to 2000 grit, that way it won't look so much like you just got finished with the 60 grit belt sander, and whats left of the paint will shine nicely instead of looking like chalk.

Last edited by lumberjack at Aug 7, 2008,
First off don't dis stuff people made, it's called creativity. I think it's wicked I love the "aged" guitar look and I think it's awesome.
wheres the output jack?
Current Gear-
Ibanez RG321
Peavey Rage 258
Rogue LX400
Fender Rumble 15
Quote by mack attack
First off don't dis stuff people made, it's called creativity. I think it's wicked I love the "aged" guitar look and I think it's awesome.

+1
Quote by lumberjack
Way to be completely awesome. I doubted before today, but yes, I'm quite sure of it now; there is no one more awesome than you, expressly for the reason that you troll around boosting your ego by berating the efforts of others. What could be cooler? Congratulations.

Troll...? I'm hardly on other subforums except this Guitar Building and the Bass.
Quote by breakdown123
Also, I love how the guitar is completely "ruined", yet the headstock looks perfect.

It was the only task I would undertake...

I P R O G
...to reap the harvest that was mine

- [ P R O G - H E A D ? ] -
tbh, i think the body just looks like some noob tried to paint it white without sanding it down, just went at it right over the gloss and everything.

EDIT: I'm all for relicing, in fact I would kill for a relic'd strat. I jsut don't think this really icould be considered relic'd. Isn't the idea of a relic to age the guitar? This just looks... Well, see above^.
Anybody that says in this thread that it looks sucky is subjective...but then again I dont give a **** about anyone's opinions so you're wrong.
how about carefully going around the edges of the body and headstock with a propane torch?
Takes a Knockin' and Keeps on Rockin" DOA #08-01502
You wrecked it with awesome.
1978 Peavey T-40 -> Ampeg Micro-VR - > Ampeg SVT210AV + Ampeg SVT-15E
Quote by mack attack

+1

if u like it...who cares about all these other people????

Not many liked jimi in america......but what did he do?????

oh yeah he got outta here..
Quote by mack attack

Creativity is nice, but this is not creativity. Creativity would mean he tried something new or ingenious, but so many other people have already done relic jobs. This is not creative at all, it's just poorly done.

I'm sorry, I know it's something you modified all on your own, but frankly, I think it looks like ****. Just my opinion, but ya.
Quote by Kensai
Racism... against the human race? Sure, go ahead
So many people are superficial. The main point of a guitar is to make music... I dont understand what people are saying by you ruined it, thats such a stupid thing to say... If it still plays the same and sounds the same... and it grabs people attention... isn't that art in itself?

the fact that you have a guitar that you just messed with, made it look unique, and are taking it to a live show, more power to you i think its ****ing awesome

It really doesnt seem to me that you were trying to relic it as much as to make it stand out and I thinik you succeeded. So **** all these guys...who cares what they think
-------------------------------
Faded Gibson SG Special - Black ice mod
Seymour Duncan SH-5 in bridge
B-52 AT 112
Ted Weber Mass100 attenuator
EHX Small Clone
EHX Metal Muff
DIY Modded tubescreamer
Dunlop 535Q Wah
Wax Potting tutorial
Last edited by ICANSEEYOU7687 at Aug 8, 2008,
Don't listen to them. That guitar looks ****ed up. that's exactly how a guitar that someone purposefully ****ed up with brake fluid and **** SHOULD look like!
I"m sick of people trying to create "reliced" guitars. The relic look is from a guitar that's 30 years old!! it's from the goddam laquer cracking from age!!! A NEW guitar should NEVER look like that!!!! Stop trying to make your guitars so fake!! If you want 'em to look "reliced", wait 30 years and they will be. that's what the people who have the guitars you are imitating did. so if you want it just like theirs, do what they did, play and wait.

Anyway dude, nice job beating the **** out of your guitar. I'm probably going to to the same with an old body of mine that was already shot multiple times with a bb gun (don't ask)
you know, I"m just gonna burn it, throw it down some concrete stairs, i dunno **** it up though, thats for sure., because why??

RELICING A GUITAR IS A BUNCH OF BULL****

either beat the **** out of it or not, you know, like **** or get off the pot.

Also, the guy above me is awesome, he gets it, knows what's goin on.
If Rock is a lifestyle, then Metal's an addiction

"People don't kill people with giant boulders"
"They will if you take away their assault rifles"

Quote by Gee-tar-eist
I wouldnt give a ****, i would gladly play music for people to steal it!
i don't think it looks ruined enough! lol But it's cool.... oh and while your at it add an input jack! lol
In your eyes I see the darkness that tourments you, and in your head where it dwells, I'll give you my hand if you reach out and grab it, let's walk away from this hell.
I'm sorry, but it looks like ****.
Founder of UG's David Bowie Fan Club. Pm to join.

Founder of UG's "Rockers against being freakishly skinny" Club. PM to join.
I doubt the WD-40 and brake cleaner would even do anything, unless of course you lit that on fire. I would have used a blow torch instead of a lighter. Also, I would do more fine sanding to make it look worn instead of having it look like a lawnmower accident victim....lol
I'd temporarily take the neck off, and swing the body against a brick wall.
1978 Peavey T-40 -> Ampeg Micro-VR - > Ampeg SVT210AV + Ampeg SVT-15E
Ach, mein eyes!

As much as I like relic'ing things (ask the burn marks all over my squier neck), it seems like you could use a bit more technique and a lighter touch when attempting to age something.

Remember, most relic'd guitars have to look like they lived 30 or some odd years, not like they were beaten up by an abusive trombone.
In any case, you may want to try sanding that sucker to keep jaggies from falling off.
Last edited by Kikral at Aug 8, 2008,
yeah, i'd do the 2000 grit sandpaper thing, maybe buff out what paint is left and smooth the bare wood. maybe clear coat the whole thing, but you might not want to spend the time. other than that, its cool.
what
yeah i think it looks like you tried too hard

if youre going for that broken look its just supposed to look old and used, not like it went through a fricken snowblower that was on fire
Quote by mack attack

i dont care how ***kin creative u are. that doesnt make the guitar magically make noise without an output jack
Quote by ihavenoname93
i dont care how ***kin creative u are. that doesnt make the guitar magically make noise without an output jack

hahahaha

I had to take the electronics out to do all this ****. jesus obviously I'm gonna solder it back chill
Quote by ICANSEEYOU7687
So many people are superficial. The main point of a guitar is to make music... I dont understand what people are saying by you ruined it, thats such a stupid thing to say... If it still plays the same and sounds the same... and it grabs people attention... isn't that art in itself?

THANK YOU! My thoughts exactly. It's not as if it was an amazing guitar in the first place. I mean if it was a 1958 gibson les paul then maybe it would have been a bit silly to do this to it but it's just some generic strat copy and for those in the "he could have given it to an orphan kid" camp well he's gonna keep it and anyway it's not as if he's rendered it unplayable. I'm sure the orphan kid would be glad to have any guitar if they really wanted to play that much don't you think?
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
that would look sweet in a trans blue
jackson dk2 2008
hamer xt sunburst qt
epiphone g400
peavey vk212
morley p wah
behringer pb1000
dige bm
big muff ny
behringer dc 9 comp
member of the Jackson/Charvel Owners Club

£8.50/58fund for a ROCKTRON HUSH SUPER C PEDAL