I have no first hand experience with either, but Ive read plenty of times that the DL4 is prone to breaking down.
Quote by drunkinkoala
Yes, I would masturbate a horse.

Quote by MH400
hahahahaha

You win the internet.

Epically.

Quote by l2p_Guitar
Got a chuckle out of me.
I've heard great things about the Boss, but it seems a bit unnecessary?
How many people will really use all 23 seconds of delay time?
I'd hate to hit a bum note and have it repeated 4 times a second for the next half minute
ohai little sig.
the old dl4's break down but the new ones are solid. ive had mine for a year now, no problems. there is a bit of a volume drop when you kick it on but thats only noticeable at very high volumes. dont know anything about the dd-20 though.
Valveking CLIPS/Gear HERE
Quote by Demonikk
I'd hate to hit a bum note and have it repeated 4 times a second for the next half minute

I've also looked at the DD-7, but I have not really heard anything about it.
The 23 seconds of delay time does NOT have to be used. Many folks use that 23 seconds for looping on the fly or Robert Fripp style effects. Personally, I find the 23 seconds VERY useful...others may not need it. Check out youtube for some demo's of this great pedal.

If the TS is only interested in short delays and nothing"crazy" (like I enjoy...lol) I agree they might as well go analog or get a cheap digi delay stomp.

Quote by Demonikk