I bought myself a new Dove about two and a half months ago, but I put it down because the action was very high for my comfort. Before the dove, I've been playing a custom guitar with EXTREMELY low action, and I absolutely loved it.
My question is, how would I be able to lower the action? I don't want to spend 80 bucks to take the guitar to some shop and have them tune it up for me...
Most new guitars come with a high action except for expensive ones. Everyone wants the tone of a high action with the feel of a low action [they just don't know that]. The higher action sounds better than a low action so in the shop they mostly have high actions because the manufacture wants you to love the tone of their guitars! It's only after getting the guitar home and playing it for more than 5min [like you did in the shop], that you notice how bad the action is!

After loosening off all the strings, slip out the bottom saddle and on a flat surface sand down the bottom of the saddle on some emery paper, being very careful to keep even pressure on it so one end isn't lower than the over. Careful you don't overdo it or the strings will buzz.
Try to leave the nut [bridge] at the top alone [don't try to deepen the string slots]!
Last edited by Akabilk at Aug 7, 2008,
Quote by Akabilk
Most new guitars come with a high action except for expensive ones. Everyone wants the tone of a high action with the feel of a low action [they just don't know that]. The higher action sounds better than a low action so in the shop they mostly have high actions because the manufacture wants you to love the tone of their guitars! It's only after getting the guitar home and playing it for more than 5min [like you did in the shop], that you notice how bad the action is!

After loosening off all the strings, slip out the bottom saddle and on a flat surface sand down the bottom of the saddle on some emery paper, being very careful to keep even pressure on it so one end isn't lower than the over. Careful you don't overdo it or the strings will buzz.
Try to leave the nut [bridge] at the top alone [don't try to deepen the string slots]!

I think the saddle is glued to the bridge... I want to take it out with a knife but I'm afraid something might break, but I don't want to take out all the strings and have to buy a new set..
The saddle should not be glued. It doesn't need to be. Release the string tension to really loose and it should slide out.
Oh yeah it's not glued. Anyway, the action is still high after I sanded it down (even with no saddle, it's still a little high for my comfort). What should I do now? Maybe sand down the nut a big?
The nut is glued, but only by a small drop at one end [so they are easy to get out].

To take the nut out you have to take your strings off first. Lay a flat piece of wood about 2 or 3inch wide by about 1inch thick, flat on top of the frets with the end of it up against the nut. Give it a small tap with a light hammer on the other end. That will break the glue seal so you can then just slide the nut out. Re-glue with a small drop on one end, but check the action before re-glueing by fitting the E strings up to pitch. Don't file the slots!