Hey Everyone

Ive been playing on my squier strat for a year now and want to ask you guys advice on what would be the best (not too expensive) pickups, strings, and anything else that would make for a good blues setup. THe sound im looking for is like a texas blues kind of sound with a little twang in it.

THanks for your help
Thick strings, fender strat, vintage tube amp
Quote by drunkinkoala
you can be jesus.

Quote by Wesseem
most useless response i think i have ever seen on any forum ever.

Quote by Turkeyburger

Lolflag
My friends dad has played blues for over 30 years. Plays nothing but Fender Stratocastors. I guess the 25.5" scale, and single coil pickups are essential.
Quote by breakdown123
Is there such a thing as a heavy riff with out chugging on the e string?
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
My friends dad has played blues for over 30 years. Plays nothing but Fender Stratocastors. I guess the 25.5" scale, and single coil pickups are essential.

a fender strat is certainly not essential! a guitar that can produce notes and fingers that can show emotion are needed.
American Fender Strat
1979 Marshall Superlead
Real Mccoy Wizard Wah
Robert Keeley Boss Tremolo
Euthymia Crucible Fuzz
Fulltone OCD+Deja Vibe
Line 6 DL4
Analogman BC108
Prescription C.O.B

Im a Single Coil man
If you're looking for texas style blues with twang, go with single coils, but if you want more southern dirty blues-ish, go for some humbuckers. I'd normally rather go with single coils, but the best natural dirty sound comes from good humbuckers.
Jesus for president. PM me to join the campaign. or just sig it.

Of course God has a sense of humor. Look at the Platypus...

Member #9 of the Trumpet Players' Alliance, PM E V H 5150 to inquire about joining.
personally i like to play my blues on a strat. i have fender noiseless pickup (personal preference), but texas specials are really good for texas blues/ SRV type sound. Also tube amps are really good. i prefer the blues junior because its not too expensive and its a really good amp. my friend has one and im getting one soon.
Quote by matt92l
a fender strat is certainly not essential! a guitar that can produce notes and fingers that can show emotion are needed.

That says it all in a nutshell.
well i guess if you dont wanna spend up to 300 bucks on pickups (like me) i would recommend raising the action on your guitar a bit, and then getting thicker strings. I'm using 11s right now and i love it :P

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace." - Jimi Hendrix
57/62 single coil pickups inside a fender stratocaster into a Vintage Fender tube amp. That's ALL you need (Invalid img)
I recently got an Epi Valve Junior. I play either my Tele or my Dot through it and both sound fantastic. The EVJr is only 5 watts but it's still pretty loud although it would need miked for gigging. Cheap as chips though - £79.
"I didn't mean to kill nobody ... I just meant to shoot the sonofabitch in the head. Him dying was between him and the Lord." RL Burnside.

"I won't waste my love on a nation" BRMC
Last edited by RubberSoul54321 at Aug 12, 2008,
i have texas special pups in an MIA standard strat, works for me.

my strings are .010 - .046 which some may say are a bit skinny for blues but i find them a good compromise between getting a twangy texas blues tone and still being able to handle bends without shredding my fingertips.

dont forget the amp - some good valve amps out there, mine is a fender deluxe which is great for clean tones, not so good on the overdrive channel. i use a distortion pedal if i want to go a bit muddy.
I've been imitated so well I've heard people copy my mistakes.
- Jimi Hendrix
THanks for all the answers, i just went out and bought myself some new strings. any suggestions on a decent amp for $100-150? amp im playin on now is old...dont even knoqw what kind it is, im gonna take a pic and post to see if anyone can identify it.
Quote by NJ16W
THanks for all the answers, i just went out and bought myself some new strings. any suggestions on a decent amp for $100-150? amp im playin on now is old...dont even knoqw what kind it is, im gonna take a pic and post to see if anyone can identify it.

How much power do you need?
"I didn't mean to kill nobody ... I just meant to shoot the sonofabitch in the head. Him dying was between him and the Lord." RL Burnside.

In that price range then I would seriously check out the Epi Valve Junior or similar small tube amps.

I think that the best guitars for blues are Gibson but if you can't afford a Gibson you should buy a tube. (You can also consider buying an Epiphone but I'm not so sure that it will be like a Gibson)
pretty much anything.

and i really mean anything.

although guitars such as Strats, Teles, 335s, etc are going to be the well known kind of blues guitar, try out a few and whatever works for you is the best one.

though try and avoid "metal" guitars, like Ibanez, ESP, etc.

blues requires tone, something those guitars lack.

amp-wise, the same situation, simple amps (valve preferable) do the trick (especially if they have a nice, warm sounding overdrive). though if the amp doesnt have a good sounding overdrive, its just as easy to run an overdrive pedal into the clean channel.

and blues is all about warmth, in other words pure tone.

so you really don't need to worry about mid-scoops, delay pedals, etc.

good luck, dude.
Quote by T.S.R.
what?
if i were a midget...id go masturbate in public because...hey, im a midget and i can get away with anything

Quote by yawn
I heard Hitler was a pretty good guitarist back in his day...

Quote by guitar?
You're a towel.
Quote by les_paul_01

though try and avoid "metal" guitars, like Ibanez, ESP, etc.

blues requires tone, something those guitars lack.

What a narrow minded thing to say. These guitars have no tone? Just because they are associated with metal and shred does not mean they can't be used for blues. Great tone can be found anywhere
Quote by RobertSin
I think that the best guitars for blues are Gibson but if you can't afford a Gibson you should buy a tube. (You can also consider buying an Epiphone but I'm not so sure that it will be like a Gibson)

Might I add:

lolwutthe****?

Do you know what you are talking about at all???
les paul & fender blues jr....buttery smooth or crunchy bite....claptons "woman tone" or jimi's scream ... all possible with just a flip of the toggle and a turn of the tone knob...

the vintage blues jr...with the jenson speaker...great surprise....

wolf
Quote by slayer1516
What a narrow minded thing to say. These guitars have no tone? Just because they are associated with metal and shred does not mean they can't be used for blues. Great tone can be found anywhere

okay, maybe a bit of an overstatement on my part, but the other day i went into a guitar store, played an ESP Viper and an Ibanez SA, and i was literally flabbergasted at how completely dull and lifeless both guitars were, both acoustically and amplified.
Quote by T.S.R.
what?
if i were a midget...id go masturbate in public because...hey, im a midget and i can get away with anything

Quote by yawn

Quote by guitar?
You're a towel.
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON

Ever Heard of a guy named Duane Allman?

I suggest a nice Fender Tubed Amp, Hopefully a Twin Reverb of some kind Going straight into a Black beat up strat with a couple of Cigarette burns.
Guitars
1977 Ibanez Artist
2008 Gibson Les Paul Standard
90's Fender MIM Stratocaster
2005 Squire Strat
2006 Layla Strat
1969 Univox Hi-Flyer Custom
2007 Black Ovation
Quote by matt92l

He said single coil pickups were essential

There are a few other guitars out there good for blues. I however like Strats.
Gear:

Guitars:
Takamine Gs330S
Fender Standard Stratocaster
Ibanez RG3EXQM1
Epiphone SG G-310

Amps:
Crate Palomino V16

Pedals
Ibanez TS9DX
Line 6 Tonecore Uber Metal
^i guess it goes to what style you're playing.

take a kind of warm, SRV, strat-style tone as well as a razor sharp, hollowbody, freddie king style tone.

both of them could be called definitive blues, yet they're completely different.
Quote by T.S.R.
what?

Quote by yawn

Quote by guitar?
You're a towel.
Good god!

Failure on so many acounts.

All you need is pretty much any piece of wood with six strings on it. A pickup helps, if you want to plug it in. Literally ANY amp will do.

That's it.

Now, if you want a decent tone at bedroom volumes, get a 5 watt tube amp. Doesn't matter from whom, anything will work. For gigs, a 30-40 watter would be as big as I would go. Power tube break up is more important for the 'classic blues tone'. DO NOT GET A TWIN OR TWIN REVERB UNLESS YOU WANT MILES AND MILES AND MILES OF CLEAN HEADROOM. Those things will NEVER break up until you're ears bleed.

Literally ANY guitar will do. I've seen Junior Kimbrough playing a Jackson Dinky, and Albert King played a Flying V. Just get any guitar that feels right, regardless of looks. Playability>all other aspect. Tone is in the fingers, and if you can't use them effectively, it will sound bad.

Have a nice hunt.