well, i'm in a band and we have played 2 gigs and 1 of them was ok. bassically our other guitarist left (we were going to kick him out anyway) and it is now me (guitar), adam (drums), james(singer/guitar/bass?!?!?!?).

now, james (singer...) is ALWAYS changing his mind about everything... at first he wanted to sing, then he wanted to play guitar aswell, then he wanted to play guitar without singing, then he said he was learning bass and said he would sing aswell...

soooooooooooooo.....

i really want to stay in a band because we can have potential wen the singer can be bothered.... he is like one of my best friends so i don't wan to be harsh on him or anything, so i don't wanna kick him out. and the drummer got a **** load of it so he asked me if i wanted to ditch the singer and play with a group of his mates....

i am CONFUSED!!!!

but it is so annoying because adam (drummer) cant be bothered to practise if james is gunna be a dick, so james wont practise and wont comit to it. i think that i might just leave the band and say to them i give up but still write my own **** and record (i play drums aswell) myself.

this is a load of crap, plus it is the summer holidays and all he is doing is going on his xbox ( he goes on it all day).

i got hooked on my xbox for a while but i quit in the end, but he says stuff and never does it...!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GRRRRRRRRRRR!

sorry for the massive wall of text!

thanks, moe lestor
but the thing is we let him do it then he talks about it then he changes his mind. plus he wont even bother trying to come to band practise or whatever
yea, if i were you i would ditch him. either say, "this is your part, and this is what your gonna play, and if not leave" and then find someone to fill the space that is empty or you can just say "get out" and fill the base, singer, guitarist slots. personally i would give him a boot (literally) and tell him that he's out. (their face is priceless when you put a boot in their hands. it works best if its old and worn and dirty, but a knew one works also.)
Who decided that pie would be sold on Tuesday but not Wednesday?
okay well, to be honest, your drummer hasn't done anything wrong, and imo, i think you should stick with him and his mates. Tell your singer/friend that it just isnt working out with him being so unreliable, and he may get angry but will eventually understand.
Also, please spell-check.
Many singers are kinda like yours, they constantly wanna try other instruments because they constantly think that just singing is somehow a cop out and that they should also be playing some kinda instrument.
As it happens, you could do with a bass player, so if you can get him to concentrate on that instrument for long enough it should work out OK. You just have to let him know that he cannot continue to constantly change his mind over his roll in the band.
First and foremost he's the singer, it'd be useful for the band if he was also the bassist, but a permanant bassist can always be found if playing bass doesn't work out for him. He just needs to make a decision one way or the other as to what he wants to do, but once that decision has been made, he needs to stick with it so that the rest of you know what you are doing, and this needs pointing out to him.

You and your drummer should go and jam with his buddies anyway because jamming with as many different musicians as you possibly can improves you as a musician, you don't have to leave a band just to go jamming with a different bunch of guys, or even to join another band, you're not in some sort of personal relationship with these guys, you're just in a band with them, so just regard every activity outside your immediate band as a side project, and either get your singer to concentrate on just vocals or vocals + bass, (he can always play rhythm guitar on the occasional song if he doesn't fancy permanantly playing an instument) then carry on accordingly.
Meanwhile, if it doesn't work out, hey, you've always got the other guys you'll be jamming with to fall back upon.
Last edited by SlackerBabbath at Aug 8, 2008,
cheers guys. he has a bass guitar because his dad is a musician so i will try to make him consentrate on that.
Quote by moe lestor
cheers guys. he has a bass guitar because his dad is a musician so i will try to make him consentrate on that.

Sounds like a plan, but remember, he has to be happy with what he's doing otherwise he won't be as effective as a band member (which goes equally for all of you) so if the bass playing doesn't work out, (and it sounds like it shouldn't take long for you to find out if it isn't working out) just get a bassist and tell the singer that you all value him purely as a singer.
Last edited by SlackerBabbath at Aug 8, 2008,
Quote by SlackerBabbath
Sounds like a plan, but remember, he has to be happy with what he's doing otherwise he won't be as effective as a band member (which goes equally for all of you) so if the bass playing doesn't work out, (and it sounds like it shouldn't take long for you to find out if it isn't working out) just get a bassist and tell the singer that you all value him purely as a singer.

k, thanks for the tips!
Yeah, but bass is easier than guitar, because it has fewer strings . . . . j/k

Honestly, though, I've found it easier to play bass and sing than to play guitar and sing. Chord changes on guitar require more thought and coordination for me than changing position on bass.

Cheerio.
Quote by Freunleven
Yeah, but bass is easier than guitar, because it has fewer strings . . . . j/k

Honestly, though, I've found it easier to play bass and sing than to play guitar and sing. Chord changes on guitar require more thought and coordination for me than changing position on bass.

Cheerio.

Depends on the style of bass playing really.
A walking bass line is definately harder to play and sing than simply playing a backing chord on a guitar behind a vocal for instance.
But then, playing a complex fingerpick while singing is definately harder to do than playing a chuggling single note rhythm on a bass while singing.

I started out as a bassist/vocalist so I pretty much learned to do both at the same time but personaly I tend to play simple root notes or bass chords while playing and singing and leave any walking bass for the guitar solos to add extra backing.