I know acoustic basses don't have the best reputation but today at band practice, one of my band members brought up the idea of me getting an acoustic bass so we could maybe play some acoustic gigs. And I always like ideas that involve me getting some new toys to play with ! Does anyone know of any decent acoustic basses that are relatively cheap and won't burn a hole in my pocket?
Last edited by ccmetz2020 at Aug 7, 2008,
the olympia's by tacoma are pretty good, but i'm not sure how much they are...
i know the tacoma's are pretty pricy though....
YEAH
I've said it before and I'll say it again, theres hardly any point acoustic bass guitars, with some EQ work and a lower powered amp you can create the same sound with an electric bass for free. Unless you're getting a stand-up, which are a whole different instrument, then just use your electric.
Quote by cakeandpiemofo
Of course I don't wanna go in the woods. There's bears in there.

Quote by Deliriumbassist
Jeff Ament is a sexy sexy beast.

Quote by Karvid
Yes. Chest hair = automatic awesome. Even if you're a woman.
Yeah I've been lookin at the Dean acoustic basses because they look pretty decent for being so cheap and it would be kind of fun to have a bass I can just pick up and play for the heck of it with no amp.
I've played that Dean several times--the studio I go to has one. I am incredibly underwhelmed every time I play it, so definitely try it before you buy it.
Yeah I always try a bass before I buy it so I definetly will next time I go to guitar center.
There aren't many that are loud enough to play with acoustic guitars, so it's good to take along a small combo or something. If you get an electric one (nearly all are), make sure to get one with a good preamp.

Get a cheap preamp and you might as well eq your solid-body to sound like it. Get a good one and no electric you can ever buy will sound like it.

edit: could this possibly be a use for the Micro Cube RX? Have we finally found one?
Nope, no sig here.
Last edited by Mutant Corn at Aug 7, 2008,
I have been waiting for a chance to post about these. almost definitely outside of your price range, but damn nice acoustic basses nonetheless.
http://64.180.97.138/kinal/bass.htm
Scroll down to the Kinal Kompact.

Here's a few examples of the sound (not my playing).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FB2S4kWF2yo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5wN1IX4w7Q
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wP9NM4JCxgQ
I got in everyone's hostile little face. Yes, these are bruises from fighting. Yes, I'm comfortable with that. I am enlightened.
Funky Muthafucka Of The Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 To Join.
UG Irish Clan-Póg mo thóin
Quote by Caustic
Beast Within, you're awesome.
I've heard good things about Michael Kelly Dragonfly basses, but I'm skeptical. Anyone know how they are in terms of acoustic bass types?

Regardless, I name dropped the bass I was going to suggest. They come in 4 string, 4 string fretless, 5 string, and 5 string fretless. Although I have a hard time with fretless, I don't know how I'd handle a 5 string fretless acoustic bass :\
Quote by top shelf

I couldn't do it [masturbate] with the cast on however. That's when I dug out my baby sister's stuffed animals and went to town

Quote by Tubyboulin
Is it bad that I imagined you saying that in a really sexy voice?
^ volume-wise they are average....but as far as sound and playability they are excellent. The first time I played one I thought I was playing something in the $2K/$3K range
Nope, no sig here.
Ovation electro-acoustic
I think I can leave it at that.
1978 Peavey T-40 -> Ampeg Micro-VR - > Ampeg SVT210AV + Ampeg SVT-15E
i've played several acoustic basses (including several of the inexpensive dean basses) and i've never found one that i'd even consider wanting to own, let alone buy. tone, volume and general playability are always compromised. they all seem to be gimmicky, with more style than substance. that said, i've never played one worth more than £500, so perhaps there are more expensive ones on the market that are worth owning.
I've played some Takamine acoustic basses, and they were pretty good, around £300, great value.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Quote by CaseOnBass
I don't own one but apparently the Tacoma Thunderchief is real good.

It's good, but very expensive.

If you can find an Olympia version of a Thuderchief (OB3CE), they're great.
"Spiralling to the ground below
Like Autumn leaves left in the wake to fade away"
The Olympia OB3CE is great for the price.

The two issues I have with the Dean acoustic basses are that the sound is really meh, even for an acoustic. And they're unwieldy if you are on the small side. I feel like this picture when I play one:

Quote by anarkee

*Gibson Mando Bass*

It's a Gibson...

... I bet it's ****

Quote by DisarmGoliath
Quote by anarkee
(Gibson Mando-Bass)

I think I'm going to look into buying that.
1978 Peavey T-40 -> Ampeg Micro-VR - > Ampeg SVT210AV + Ampeg SVT-15E
Quote by ChemicalFire
I think the frets are just marked.

yeah i realize that. is it worth it's price?
Quote by food1010
yeah i realize that. is it worth it's price?

Lol sorry I misread what you said.

I thought you wrote:

"How is this a fretless bass"

Quote by DisarmGoliath
Quote by ChemicalFire
Lol sorry I misread what you said.

I thought you wrote:

"How is this a fretless bass"

haha no