Page 1 of 2
right, so i've been using dunlop gators (1.14mm and 1.5 mm) for a long time, but i decided to finally try a jazz 3, and WOW, what a huge difference. suddenly i'm able to tremolo pick wayyyy faster than ever before, and hopping strings doesn't cause any slowdowns anymore. also, the smaller size helps in playing pinch harmonics tremendously! i know there are a ton of pick threads, but i thought i'd just throw this out there for anyone who hasn't ever tried these picks. it takes a little bit of getting used to, but i've only been playing with it for a day now, and it's great. rawk
Jackson DK2T (Crimson Swirl)
Roland Cube 30X
Gibson SG Standard (Natural Burst)
Epiphone Les Paul Standard (Transparent Amber)
Peavey Transtube Bandit 112
Digitech RPx400 Floor Processor
Ive tried em, and they are much easier to pick fast with than normal picks in my experiance. If you havent tried em yet, you should.
yes i love jazz picks and im a metal guitarist theyre are very great.

Left hand man of the fargoth fanclub! PM lamafunguy to join.

Quote by InvaderTSN
Better yet. "My arm is tired, could I put it in between your legs so I can sexually violate you during the movie?"
Quote by Irnmaiden4life
lets watch this thread die like i should have on page 1
I prefer the Tortex Jazz IIIs over the standard Black Stiffo Jazz IIIs.
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
I loved the nylon Jazz IIIs, but the Ultex ones are fantastic. The nylon blacks/reds would get totally obliterated after a single pick slide, but you can pretty much saw wood with the Ultex Jazz IIIs without seeing a mark. Oh, and the reds/blacks also had this horrible habit of rocketing out of my hands
im tryin to find them on the GC website and cant can some post a link to the ones the TS was talkin about?
best YouTube video ever

Quote by Crazymike100
Honesty is the best policy!

...Unless your trying to get a job. In which case, lie like you just got pulled over with a dead body and some shovels in the back seat.

Gear in Profile

Like NCIS
Last edited by sandman-105 at Aug 7, 2008,
Quote by sandman-105
im tryin to find them on the GC website and cant can some post a link to the ones the TS was talkin about?

Here you go.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Search/Default.aspx?src=jazz+III&Search.x=0&Search.y=0&Search=Go

EDIT: Hey, I just noticed they have the Eric Johnson version.
Quote by jake911
Here you go.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Search/Default.aspx?src=jazz+III&Search.x=0&Search.y=0&Search=Go

EDIT: Hey, I just noticed they have the Eric Johnson version.

damn i always forget they have a search bar lol

thanks man
best YouTube video ever

Quote by Crazymike100
Honesty is the best policy!

...Unless your trying to get a job. In which case, lie like you just got pulled over with a dead body and some shovels in the back seat.

Gear in Profile

Like NCIS
I prefer the tortex jazz, 1.14mm.

More grip surface, a sharper point, and its less slippery.
我会关闭我的耳朵,和我的心; 我会变成一个石头
"I will close my ears and my heart and I will be a stone"
i used to use jazz but dunlops break too easy. so i made "shield" picks out of fender delrin.
Break?!?

I don't think I've ever broken a pick. What thickness were you using?
我会关闭我的耳朵,和我的心; 我会变成一个石头
Quote by jm1681
Break?!?

I don't think I've ever broken a pick. What thickness were you using?

the tip. every thickness, and every type.

and it was L3.
I like the dunlop 1.5, I just need really thick picks, it feels weird without them
TS: I was literally just about to make a topic like this. Jazz III, unbelievable.
Quote by candysars
The best Pokemon is Metapod. Name him Wiener or P3n1s, and then use harden. LAWLZ everytime.

Schecter C-1 Elite EMG 81/85
Line 6 Pod X3 Live
i love the jazz III .. i recently got some too .. im gonna be sticking with them for awhile
take it easy man .. its just a thread
I think I'm gonna give these a shot!

Thanks TS
Quote by The Spoon
Unless you're sure she likes you, telling her you like her has a 110% chance of failing.

But hey, at least you have a 10% chance of absolutely guaranteeing failure.
Are these picks this good? i use dunlop tortex .73 and they are fine with me but i might have to try these out.
Love Love Love Jazz III's of course my Dulop Stubby is a close 2nd!!!!
If you start a reply with: I have never played one but I have heard good things about it! Your opinion is invalid.
I like them too. Recently I tried switching back to Tortex but I just couldn't... it was too big and bulky. I felt like there was to many different ways to hold it because it was so large. I had to get back on the Jazz. Been happy ever since I did. Picking is so.... fluid I suppose.
86% of the people who frequent the "Electric Guitar" forum would say that they have played guitar for under 5 years.
Quote by thisdude
no.
dunlop 0,60's own.

/thread

thats a silly post.
Rig Winter 2017:

Fender Jazzmaster/Yamaha SG1000
Boss TU-3, DS-2, CS-3, EHX small stone, Danelectro delay
Laney VC30-112 with G12H30 speaker, or Session Rockette 30 for smaller gigs
Elixir Nanoweb 11-49 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks
Shure SM57 mic in front of the amp
Quote by SiegeCrew
the tip. every thickness, and every type...
No offense, but I find it hard to believe you've broken a 1.5mm pick.

Quote by SiegeCrew
...and it was L3.
Considering that is one of their thinnest picks, I'm not surprised.

Quote by Miss G
Word.

I just started using the pitch blacks. Not really any different in terms of shape or thickness, but by golly do they look cool
我会关闭我的耳朵,和我的心; 我会变成一个石头
I changed from Dunlop .73 to Jazz III's and I have never looked back.
For me they're perfect. Some people can't get used to small picks, but once your used to playing Jazz III's, most other picks feel too big to play with.
Quote by jm1681
No offense, but I find it hard to believe you've broken a 1.5mm pick.

Considering that is one of their thinnest picks, I'm not surprised.

Word.

I just started using the pitch blacks. Not really any different in terms of shape or thickness, but by golly do they look cool

i broke a 1mm gator.
Hmmm, I've never tried those. Maybe I will.

Right now my favorite picks are .60 mm Dunlop's "The Wedge" They're a bit bigger than regular Tortexes (sp?) and have more of a point.

Here: http://www.elderly.com/accessories/items/PK424P-60.htm
deviantART ||| flickr
┌( ^_^)┘┌( ^_^)┘┌( ^_^)┘┌( ^_^)┘┌( ^_^)┘┌( ^_^)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ┌( ^_^)┘┌( ^_^)┘┌( ^_^)┘┌( ^_^)┘┌( ^_^)┘
last.fm zune
coryklok is my e-hubby! ^_^
rip Billy Mays <3
Quote by SiegeCrew
i broke a 1mm gator.
Good god, how?!?!

I just can't fathom a pick that thick actually snapping.
我会关闭我的耳朵,和我的心; 我会变成一个石头
I think what he means by "broke" is cause the tip to wear away to the degree that it's no longer a triangle, something I've done with a lot of picks. As well, many picks will warp and cease to be straight over time, although that's something I appreciate because it makes it fit my fingers better.
I have no pick preference in terms of brand; I own about a hundred picks and I mostly use the ones in the 0.75-1.25 range.
People writing songs that voices never shared
No one dared
Disturb the Sound of Silence
I tried the jazz III about a year ago, and they're still my favorite. It's wierd, because I'd tried smaller picks before and hated them, but something is different about the jazz III. What's even cooler, is that I feel so much steadier now when I use a full-size pick, since I'm used to the smaller kind.

+1 for the jazz III!
I've been using these picks for a couple months now and I love em. Helped make my playing a lot clearer and alternate picking is way easier.
I just use Black Jazz III's or the Green Dunlops (.88?)...I'm just used to those, but I prefer the Jazz.
This ends now, eat the goddamn beans!
I took a break from Stiffo Jazz IIIs to try out the Tortex version. I prefer the feel of the Tortex, but they wear out after about 2 to 3 hours of playing (I used the thickest ones available, the purple 1.14s). So I'm using Stiffo JIII's again. I'd love to try the Ultex version, but they're virtually nonexistant here.
Quote by Me2NiK
I think what he means by "broke" is cause the tip to wear away to the degree that it's no longer a triangle...
Thats the only thing I can think of happening to a pick that thick.

I burn up my Tortex Jazz pretty fast but a "worn" pick is not a broken pick.
我会关闭我的耳朵,和我的心; 我会变成一个石头
Page 1 of 2