Ok I went TV shopping today and settled on a 37" 720p Sony Bravia LCD set. It's a great TV, except it looks horrible when I'm playing either my PS3 or 360. Blu-ray movies look fine, but when ever I'm actually playing a game It just looks really choppy and sluggish. I played around with the settings for a good hour and I just can't get it to actually look good. I was using HDMI cables for both consoles and made sure both were set at the optimal output settings. So, needless to say, It's going back and I'll be getting a different set. So here is where you all come into play. What should I be looking for in an HDTV that's going to be primarily used for gaming? Yes I know I should have researched and shopped around a bit more, but let this be a lesson learned. Any help is greatly appreciated.
thats 720 for you. shouldve got 1080p

1Sony for reliability
2 Panasonic for Picture
3Samsung for sex appeal
Quote by Phazer
thats 720 for you. shouldve got 1080p

Meh, I've never been able to tell a difference between 720 and 1080 on TVs that size. Plus, most 1080 TVs that size are just a bit out of my price range.
I getting a tv about that size for my ps3 and hd needs as well. I settled on a Samsung (LN-40A650). I found a really nice price on google shopping. But what I look for is 1.# of HDMI ports. 2. 1080P. 1080p will set you up for the future so you won't have to upgrade. 3. Contrast Ratio. You want a high contrast ratio for the richer blacks and whites during films and games. 4. Response Time. Now in most tv's the response time is less than 8ms. This is great because there will be less blur and a more sharp and crisp image. Generally 6-4ms is good but if you can't afford a set with that 8ms is perfectly fine. 5. 120Hz. 120hz means what frame rate it can play at. Everything you will watch on your tv and play on your game consoles with be 60fps or less. 120fps (120hz) will also set you up for the future as more games and movies will play at a higher frame rate. This will also greatly reduce blur and provide a nice image. 120Hz is mostly only in the newer more pricey models and it is not a necessity. I recommend either Samsung or LG because they make great tv's and have them at great prices. I find Sony to be a little overpriced. But look at tv's on their sites and compare them. Then enter the model into google shopping or nextag to find the best price for you. Hope I could help. Sorry for the wall of text. PM me if you have any questions.

EDIT: oh and you only really need 1080p for a model 40-42 inches or bigger.

Quote by XxGloriousxX
i was flirting with this chick; tickling her and stuff. and she started tickling me, but i had taco bell the night before. so when she poked my side i let out this MONSTER of a fart and im sure it smell bad too.

Quote by happytimeharry
Meh, I've never been able to tell a difference between 720 and 1080 on TVs that size. Plus, most 1080 TVs that size are just a bit out of my price range.

well if youre such an expert go buy another 720. I have 2 lcds one 720 and one 1080 and the difference is significant especially on games and tv sports.
Try adjusting resolutions from your consoles' control panels, if that fails try using vga cables or component (if you have composite).
Quote by happytimeharry

Wouldnt be saying that if you had a 1080p tv... not 1080i theres a difference.

anyways.. the HDMI cable may be a bit ****ed? what version HDMI cable is it? if you got the cheapest one, that may be a problem. I cant say for sure but ive had a problem with a cheap HDMI cable before.
Quote by PantsDance69
*lots of information*

You sir, are awesome. Yeah are some of the comparable specs on the set I have:

2000:1 contrast ratio
8ms response time
I can't find the refresh rate, but Crutchfield says it's not 120hz

edit: I'll probably end up downsizing to a 32" and getting a 1080p set, since those of you that commented about having a 1080 set seem to have no problems.

*sigh*

Damn all this new-fangled technology...
Last edited by happytimeharry at Aug 7, 2008,
Quote by Ultimate_Gio92
Wouldnt be saying that if you had a 1080p tv... not 1080i theres a difference.

anyways.. the HDMI cable may be a bit ****ed? what version HDMI cable is it? if you got the cheapest one, that may be a problem. I cant say for sure but ive had a problem with a cheap HDMI cable before.

I have a 47 inch 1080p Television, and sitting from the back of my room, I set my directv to display in both modes, and I couldn't really tell the difference, except when I focused on very small things in the given picture.

Subtract like 10 inches from that and sit at a normal distance, I don't think you would be able to tell the difference.
Quote by happytimeharry
You sir, are awesome. Yeah heres the comparable specs on the set I have:

2000:1 contrast ratio
8ms response time
I can't find the refresh rate, but Crutchfield says it's not 120hz

yeah it probably isn't 120hz. I would try looking for a set with a 10000:1 contrast ratio or better. It is pretty standard on newer models so I shouldn't break your bank.

Quote by XxGloriousxX
i was flirting with this chick; tickling her and stuff. and she started tickling me, but i had taco bell the night before. so when she poked my side i let out this MONSTER of a fart and im sure it smell bad too.

Quote by PantsDance69
yeah it probably isn't 120hz. I would try looking for a set with a 10000:1 contrast ratio or better. It is pretty standard on newer models so I shouldn't break your bank.

Alright, thanks again. I'll also try to find a salesman who actually knows what he's talking about. I pretty much knew more than the guy I had helping me today, and that's scary...
I got a 19" TV for my room to watch tv on it and play my 360 in HD on it. Only £180, and im happy with it.
Gear

Fender Stratocaster in Red.

It's all I need.

The Anti-Anti-Ibanez Militia!
Quote by paintITblack39
don't go LCD, plasmas are better

Yeah but plasmas have a higher chance of image burn in and are way more expensive than lcd's.

Anyway, go with the 32' sharp aquos. You can find it at circuit city for like $850-900. Best thing is that it is full hd 1080p. I got one not too long ago and i am ****ing happy as ever. Great for video games (I have a 360 ), movies and sports.
Quote by whiplash99

Anyway, go with the 32' sharp aquos. You can find it at circuit city for like $850-900. Best thing is that it is full hd 1080p. I got one not too long ago and i am ****ing happy as ever. Great for video games (I have a 360 ), movies and sports.

Yeah the general consensus is that Sharp Aquos are pretty nice TVs. Thanks for the recommendation.
Quote by happytimeharry
Yeah the general consensus is that Sharp Aquos are pretty nice TVs. Thanks for the recommendation.

No problemo my friend.
If you want smooth motions when playing a fast paced movie/game doesn't it depend on like refresh rate or something?
PS3

Fear the LIME

X
I have a 42" Toshiba Regza I bought for 1100$, 1080p, my Ps3/360/Wii (well, except for the wii, as it only broadcasts I lousy 720 max) all look great.

My advice: Wait for Father's Day. Every major retailer worth their salt is holding a sale on Major electronic appliance.
i'm doing fine with a 300€ 22" Samsung monitor. PS3 games look amazing even though the max resolution is only 1680x1050 so on 1080i it's scaled down a little and stretched vertically because it's 16:10 instead of 16:9. If you're on a budget (not TS, but in general) I recommend it
I'm dancing in the moonlight
It's caught me in its spotlight
Dancing in the moonlight
On this long hot summer night

Martin D-28
Samsung, I have the new model 42" LCD by them and my PS3 and 360 look incredible.

Get one with a big screen so it can properly show 1080i
Haikus are easy
But sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator