So i was looking around and thinking, what would be the difference in sound when running a tude OD like an english muffin into a clean tube amp versus a TS9 into the same amp?
Would there be a better choice? or would the tube just give a richer sound then the SS?
Pow-Chika-Wah-Wah
Pow-Chika-Chika-Wah-wah
its going to be different, not necessarily better... the point of an OD pedal is to drive the signal harder which drives the tubes in your preamp more...

The general idea is that you use a tube pedal to drive a tube preamp, and it might sound a little better... But usually with these it comes down to preference...
For example those two pedals you suggested are voiced completely different... depends on the kind of sound you want
-------------------------------
Faded Gibson SG Special - Black ice mod
Seymour Duncan SH-5 in bridge
B-52 AT 112
Ted Weber Mass100 attenuator
EHX Small Clone
EHX Metal Muff
DIY Modded tubescreamer
Dunlop 535Q Wah
Wax Potting tutorial
Quote by ICANSEEYOU7687
its going to be different, not necessarily better... the point of an OD pedal is to drive the signal harder which drives the tubes in your preamp more...

Actually, the second part is just wrong. Overdrive pedals were ment to replicate the sound you get when you overdrive tube amps, using transistor (or more recently, tube) clipping - they just (usually) work very well as clean boosts too.
Quote by ICANSEEYOU7687

The general idea is that you use a tube pedal to drive a tube preamp, and it might sound a little better... But usually with these it comes down to preference...
For example those two pedals you suggested are voiced completely different... depends on the kind of sound you want

If you're gonna use the pedal as a clean boost, I think it might not make such a huge difference. However, if you're gonna use it to add more dirt instead of just driving the preamp, then it's really down to the individual pedals. I'd say tubes in pedals come down to whether or not the said pedal is good, not whether or not it has a tube in it. Often the pedals with tubes in them are more expensive, higher end products which sound better too. But I suggest you try them both out before you choose which one you're gonna get.
Quote by Lunchbox362
This thread if fail in almost every way imaniganable.