I got a Sovtek Green Big Muff in a trade in which i gave up about $40. I have had it for 2 months or so now and I really love the tone i get with it, but in my browsing of ebay I found my identical pedal going for up to $230. So do I sell the pedal and invest in a tube amp? Or do I keep it? Help me please!!!
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7
I don't know how to count canadians, the metric system is hard

Quote by gregs1020
well if lbj pokes his head in here and there's no nuts shit's gonna go doooooooowwwwwwwwwn.

{Pedalboard Thread Native: The Muffin Man}
If you really love the tone of it, then no, don't sell it. $230 is not much to save up if you have a job.
I dont have a job and thats a hell of a lot of money to me. I could get the v18 from sam ash for that
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7

Quote by gregs1020
well if lbj pokes his head in here and there's no nuts shit's gonna go doooooooowwwwwwwwwn.

Quote by al112987
If you really love the tone of it, then no, don't sell it. $230 is not much to save up if you have a job.

+1

Then you will have the pedal that you love and a nice amp!
Quote by tona_107
depends if you want a new amp more than you want the pedal.

That's my thought as well. What is really more important?
I dont know. Right now my amp is a fender frontman 15. A new amp would help a ton with my tone and I could probably run a newer big muff with a new amp better. I tried the new big muffs and they didnt sound good with my amp.
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7

Quote by gregs1020

Go try your Sovtek with some decent tube amps. If yo dont like the tone, sell the Muff and get a new tube amp. Otherwise, keep the muff.
Quote by qotsa1998
Go try your Sovtek with some decent tube amps. If yo dont like the tone, sell the Muff and get a new tube amp. Otherwise, keep the muff.
This is the best advice.
Quote by al112987

That's the dumbest thing i've ever heard.

230 could buy me a ton of things i want.
a guitar setup,
a maxon OD,
and a new neck pickup.
230 bucks plx?
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
Mesa Boogie 2ch Triple Rectifier
2 1x12 custom Theile cabs
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
Quote by kool98769
That's the dumbest thing i've ever heard.

230 could buy me a ton of things i want.
a guitar setup,
a maxon OD,
and a new neck pickup.
230 bucks plx?

Have you ignored the fact that he likes the pedal, and the $230 would go to start an amp fund?

Perhaps its a difference in priorities between you and me, but if I really like a pedal of mine I'd rather not sell it for an amount that I could make with a few days of work, even with my college student wage.
Last edited by al112987 at Aug 7, 2008,
I would actually buy an amp in that price range, probably the crate v18
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7

Quote by gregs1020

Quote by al112987
Have you ignored the fact that he likes the pedal, and the $230 would go to start an amp fund?

Perhaps its a difference in priorities between you and me, but if I really like a pedal of mine I'd rather not sell it for an amount that I could make with a few days of work, even with my college student wage.

I kinda did, because of the fact having a pedal with a worthless amp, is welll.....
worthless.
Much better to put it towards a descent amp IMO.
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
Mesa Boogie 2ch Triple Rectifier
2 1x12 custom Theile cabs
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
Quote by kool98769
I kinda did, because of the fact having a pedal with a worthless amp, is welll.....
worthless.
Much better to put it towards a descent amp IMO.

I won't argue, a good amp is more important.

The TS never stated what amp he had, and I figured he was going to start a fund rather than just spending the money directly on an amp.
Actually if you read the whole thread you would have read that I have a Fender Frontman 15
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7

Quote by gregs1020

Quote by lbj273
Actually if you read the whole thread you would have read that I have a Fender Frontman 15

Right.

That was after my original comment.
Do what you feel like doing.
If you want a tube amp then sell the pedal for it if need be. It might give you a better tone than the pedal, you never know.
Signatures are overrated.
I think likely it would give a better tone. But the crate would need a decent pedal to get metal, it won't do it on it's own.
I would keep the pedal and then save up and get a job or something to get a better amp than the crate.
The green Russian is demanding a high price as they are becoming quite rare and offer a fantastic sound effect. Amps are everywhere, and readily available. Personally, I would save up for an amp...as at least you have an interim amp to use while you save. Probably could even get a better amp than the v18 (especially used) if you save some $ and exercise patience.

Also, you will be REAL lucky to actually get 230 bucks for you Green Russian and then you end up with eBay fees…you get the point. And then a new model muff is going to set you back another 60-70 bucks and not sound as good as your current $40 near vintage green muff.

But, do what you feel is best.
Quote by gregs1020
I think likely it would give a better tone. But the crate would need a decent pedal to get metal, it won't do it on it's own.

I don't do metal so thats ok. I think I'm gonna hold on to the pedal. They are becoming rare and I can always sell it in the future. In the mean time I will just put up with my current amp.
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7

Quote by gregs1020

^It's what I would have done. TBH, having your pedal is like being a card away from a straight flush in a Poker game, but selling it for a new amp is like you trading it in for a two pair that you can definitley have.

/worst analogy evar.
I like that analagy
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7

Quote by gregs1020

I think you've made the right choice. I would hang on to it only because it's so rare and may be very hard to come by in the future.
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...