Im going buy myself some active emg's most likely and i'm wondering about the difficulty level of doing it myself, although i hear it isnt as hard as changing passives to passives. is there a cavity for the battery?. i seriously have no idea about how to do these kidns of thing as i've never done it myself, but i think i can do it if i get a nice diagram with directions. i can't really understand the jumbled mess that emg gives out on its website. also, what tools would i need? im gonna try and stick it in my RR5. it's just i don't want to spend $50+ to get it done at a shop. no, i refuse to support a shop! unless i have to
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
well the safest way if you are an inexpirienced solderer is a shop if you refuse to go to a shop, you will need a soldering iron, solder, and a screw driver, most likely you will also need wire clippers aswell. there is a decent risk of damaging components from overheating them.you can find tons of diagrams and instructions all over the web.

Left hand man of the fargoth fanclub! PM lamafunguy to join.

Quote by InvaderTSN
Better yet. "My arm is tired, could I put it in between your legs so I can sexually violate you during the movie?"
Quote by Irnmaiden4life
lets watch this thread die like i should have on page 1
Quote by apak
Im going buy myself some active emg's most likely and i'm wondering about the difficulty level of doing it myself, although i hear it isnt as hard as changing passives to passives.
that's an odd statement.
changing passives to passives just means connecting the new pickups to the existing wiring.
changing to actives requires changing the output jack, adding battery wiring,
and most prefer to change the pots, too.
that sounds harder, doesn't it?

Quote by apak
is there a cavity for the battery?.
why would there be?
either you squeeze the battery into the existing control cavity,
or route a new cavity and put in a battery compartment.

Quote by apak
i seriously have no idea about how to do these kidns of thing as i've never done it myself, but i think i can do it if i get a nice diagram with directions. i can't really understand the jumbled mess that emg gives out on its website.
in that case, you would do well to make friends with someone who can help you in person.
EMG's diagrams are easy as pie to understand.
if those confuse you, hands-on help will be needed.

Quote by apak
also, what tools would i need?
basic hand tools. screwdrivers, pliers, wrenches, and a soldering iron.
and maybe a router.
if you don't have experience soldering, get some BEFORE doing this job.
making a mess of your guitar and new pickups is not a good idea.

Quote by apak
im gonna try and stick it in my RR5. it's just i don't want to spend $50+ to get it done at a shop. no, i refuse to support a shop! unless i have to
have it your way.
move slowly, carefully and methodically, and you can do this.
rush into it and do shoddy work, and you'll hate yourself
for not spending the bucks to have it done right.

good luck.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.