Ok, so I've been playing guitar for about a year now, almost entirely self taught, and I love it. I mean I want to play for the rest of my life. And I've really, seriously thought about even going to college and majoring in... Well, this is the part I need your help in. I don't know what to major in if I want to go to college for music/guitar. I feel incredibly stupid for not knowing this, but I'm going to be a junior this year and I feel like I need to have somewhat of an idea as to what I want to do with my life. And now I know, I want to play guitar. But what should I major in? Classical guitar? I think that's what Chris Brodrick (sp?) majored in... I just don't know where to begin, what colleges have programs like what I'm talking about? How do I get involved?

Idk, I just really feel like I need to talk to someone who has either been through this already or wants to go through it too and knows the information. I just need some information.

Thanks for all the answers in advance guys.
Is there a career guidance person you can talk to in your school?

Sorry but I dont have a clue about the american colledge system.
multicolour random messge!

FAC 13
"The hacienda must be rebuilt"
These are the majors available at Berklee College of Music in Boston.

Audio Engineering
Jazz Studies
Music Management and Merchandising
Music Performance
Music Teacher Education
Music Theory and Composition
Music Therapy
Music, General
Piano and Organ
Violin, Viola, Guitar and Other Stringed Instruments
Voice and Opera
Wind and Percussion Instruments
yea man i plan on going to college for music(guitar)
i plan on double majoring in performance(guitar) and music management.
My Gear:
Fender Custom Shop Time Machine 1956 relic
plus accessories
Your position and your relationship with music has to be one from the inside. - John Frusciante
and yes, my avatar is weezy, what?
I know Olivet Nazerine University has majors for guitar. Search it up if you live in the Chicago area. (I'm going there even though I live in MA lol)
Quote by guitar-godfrey
when i grow up i wanna have blackandsilver's babies!

Quote by angusfan16

Quote by Scowmoo
HOLY HELL.

nice discovery, sir.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Last edited by coryklok : Today at 01:10 PM.
If you go to a place like Berklee, you can study rock music. Most other places are focused on jazz/classical.
Quote by Fiddelers elbow
Is there a career guidance person you can talk to in your school?

Sorry but I dont have a clue about the american colledge system.

Yes, he wasn't a big help, he just laughed at me ...

And I think I want to go to college for something like classical guitar... I also would really like to take a double major, not only just as a backup but so my mother won't disown me (she has problems with me going to college for music), on the other hand, my dad loves the fact that I want to be a musician, but encourages me to double major, just in case. Which I don't is a bad idea.

So are there any colleges that have special programs specifically for classical guitar? I just feel that there is so much more to classical music than that in music now, it's so complex and challenging.
Speaking of career guidance persons. In sweden you can basically come and say: I want to be a musician.

Then he´ll tell you: No you dont, you want to work wth computers.

It was like that for me i was like: What!?
My gear:
  • Fender American Standard Telecaster
  • Ibanez RG450
  • Laney VC15
  • Electro Harmonix HOG
  • Vox Satchurator
  • Blackout Effectors Musket fuzz
  • Electro Harmonix Pulsar
  • Earthquaker Devices Disaster Transport
  • Malekko Chicklett

Quote by Gord@k
Speaking of career guidance persons. In sweden you can basically come and say: I want to be a musician.

Then he´ll tell you: No you dont, you want to work wth computers.

It was like that for me i was like: What!?

Wow, that sucks. Glad I'm not the only one. It really discouraged me, and I've just really been thinking lately that I can't let him **** up MY dream. It's what I want to do, and so I can. I'm really glad I made this topic, just knowing that there are other people taking courses like this that aren't young bach's is encouraging in itself. Thanks for clearing my head guys .