My band won battle of the bands back in february and we got 6 hours of free studio time. I'll probably be doing guitar and vocals, while my stepbrother does the bass. Drums are not an issue.

thanks for any help!
My username is old, don't judge me (but old 311 is good)
One thing i'ld say is listen and cooperate fully with the soundengineer. As he really knows the best.
Don't make too much noise, let the guys do their work calmly and properly.

And trust the sound engineer when he says you've gotta spend most time recording the vocals. It is extremely important to nail the vocals or else the whole track will sound bad just cuz of one bad vocals.
Make sure your guitar is properly intonated. You have no idea how annoying it is to work with people who can't properly look after their own equipment.

Change the strings the day before, so the tone is still new and crisp, but the strings have settled in.

Turn the gain right down on your amplifier. A little goes a long way. The same goes with the level on effects pedals. EQ settings on amps need to be more neutral.

If your tone is undercoloured, that can be fixed in the mix, but if it's overcoloured, it'll be unfixable, and will sound like sh*t.

Leave the rock star egos outside; be nice to the recording personnel.
Quote by BrianApocalypse
Make sure your guitar is properly intonated. You have no idea how annoying it is to work with people who can't properly look after their own equipment.

Change the strings the day before, so the tone is still new and crisp, but the strings have settled in.

Turn the gain right down on your amplifier. A little goes a long way. The same goes with the level on effects pedals. EQ settings on amps need to be more neutral.

If your tone is undercoloured, that can be fixed in the mix, but if it's overcoloured, it'll be unfixable, and will sound like sh*t.

Leave the rock star egos outside; be nice to the recording personnel.

but if my amp has the perfect settings and i love the sound, so i don't want to mess with them besides the master volume...now i'm a bit confused..
My username is old, don't judge me (but old 311 is good)
That's the foremost misconception about studio recording.

When you run a guitar tone through a complex signal chain, it's not going to remain uncoloured.

Just because something sounds good live, it's not neccessarily going to once it's been crushed, digitised and whatnot.
like the singer from slipknot said in an interview i saw " Just make sure your equipment is hooked up and working and don't **** up "
Gear:
Aria lawsuit V
epiphone E-310 strat copy
peavey vypyr 15
boss blues driver II
Kramer striker 100st (invader pickup)
Randall RG50tc

EHX Metal Muff
i'd say hope to god that ur bandmates are as worried about doing well in the studio as you are, its free but u dont wanna pinch off only 2 1/2 songs over the course of 6 hours