I was fooling around with some music theory books and I was like screw this. So I fooled around with some strings and them came out a pretty cool riff! Is this how people actually write stuff? I mean I did not use any theory, just a couple of chords that sounded good and that's all I don't know what key is it in or what sale I used. AFAIK it sounded good.
when most people write music they write these things called "songs", which are a lot more than just "riffs." Good luck combining this "riff" with other "riffs" and "fills" and "solos" and "whatnots" without using music theory to make it blend well.
Its not that hard to write a riff. Its much harder to build a song around that riff.
My meh gear:
ESP LTD MH-400NT
Peavey Raptor Plus EXP
Digitech RP90
Digitech Bad Monkey
Electro-Harmonix Big Muff Pi (WTS)
Crate GT15 (SHIT)

GAS:
Peavey 6505 112 combo
MXR 10-band EQ
Ibanez TS-9
Boss HR-2
Compressor (open to suggestions)
Yep. Pretty much, actually. If it actually sounds good, then that means that "music theory" backs it up. Yes, you can write by thinking about theory, but if you fool around and it works out, it usually means that you unintentionally followed any theory rules. I took all kinds of theory classes, and it took me forever to figure this out. Enjoy not stressing, man.
This is how my teacher puts it: come up with something cool, then analyze the living **** out of it. You don't really use theory to write something...Like, not to come up with it. You come up with something awesome sounding first, then see what will fit before/after/in between.
My gear:
Schecter C-1+ w/ Seymour duncan Jazz (neck) and Full Shred (bridge), with Sperzels
B-52 LG-100A 4x12 half stack
Rogue LX405 Bass
Yamaha classical
Some sort of acoustic Squier
Boss Flanger
Lyon Chorus
Quote by SchecterC-1+Man
This is how my teacher puts it: come up with something cool, then analyze the living **** out of it. You don't really use theory to write something...Like, not to come up with it. You come up with something awesome sounding first, then see what will fit before/after/in between.

+1
Quote by slidething31
Blues men don't wear band T shirts.
yea that's what i noticed some notes sounded awful but some sounded really good. I mean I know a bit of theory, CAGED system, octaves, chords etc.