So whats the diffrence between a tube OD pedal like an english muffn and a non tube like jeckly and hyde?
also why is it that in the description on GC for a Digitech Bad Monkey say that its a tube distortion?
and while im at it what do you think about the 3 pedals i mentioned??
i just got an english muff'n but i can use it cuz im grounded so idk nkow if it even works

07 Fender American Deluxe Strat
07 Fender Custom Telecaster
09 Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster
09 Fulltone OCD V.4
10 Ibanez WH-10 V.2
09 Splawn SuperStock
10 Jet City JCA-20
97 Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Yeh the SICK! bit sounds a bit stupid.

Quote by timzee117
i just got an english muff'n but i can use it cuz im grounded so idk nkow if it even works

nobody cares.

TS, that digitech emulates tube distortion, but it doesn't have a tube in the circuit. my favorite of the three you mentioned would be the Muffin, but it would really depend on your own personal style.
My name is Charlie.

Gear
Gretsch Electromatic Pro Jet
Fender Deville 410
Electro-Harmonix USA Big Muff
Digitech Whammy IV
MXR Micro Amp
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Well most of the tube based pedals around are actually more or less BS and just marketing. In many of them, the tube is operating at low tempratures and not really doing a whole lot (like the Vox Cooltron). There are of course those that are operating at the right tempreature, but these are few and expensive. Getting tube like OD from a "normal" overdrive pedal is not imossible. My Fulltone OCD sounds basically like a tube amp!

Of course to get a tube like sound, you will still need a tube amp.
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
^listen to that. The Valves in these pedals don't do much - some manufacturers even put LEDS behind the valves so that they look like they glow!
Fender USA Telecaster
Laney VC30-210
Vox Wah
That's it :|
Yea look at the original tubescreamers...see any tubes is that? no, b/c it's not that big of a deal in OD pedals.
Quote by UpTheIrons!
^listen to that. The Valves in these pedals don't do much - some manufacturers even put LEDS behind the valves so that they look like they glow!

*cough* Behringer *cough*

I tried a T-Rex RoomMate yesterday and the tube in it didn't even glow. Basically, for a tube to actually work, it needs to be at working temperatuers. This is actually very hard to design, since it's get very hot (about as hot as light bulbs, you can get serious burn damage from them!). Hence most people doesn't use tubes, since you can sometimes get as good results from standard transistors or IC chips. Tubescreamers uses ICs, but also boutique pedal makers, such as Fulltone, Roger Mayer, Carl Martin, Keeley etc. Really, you don't need a tube OD. 90% of all the REAL tube Ods are contructed as real preamps and will sound better used as such.

If you want an ACTUAL tube pedal, get these:
http://www.effectrode.com/
Quote by stratman_13

18watter video demo

My band

I think EHX does it as well - although their products sound good, Behringer doesn't generally.
Fender USA Telecaster
Laney VC30-210
Vox Wah
That's it :|
^It's possible EHX are actual tube pedals, after all EHX are tube manufactuers and so on! Mike Mathews (EHX founder) owns the majority of the tube producers today!
Quote by stratman_13

18watter video demo

My band