Or should I still be getting practice amps until I am "fully developed" out of beginnerdom.
well you probably dont have lots to spend and since your beginner you probably dont know much of tone. there is no reason you cant get something but > would advise you to wait for your ear for tone to fill before buying so you know what you want and that sort
go get ya a halfstack, you'll still have the practice amp
Quote by guitardude34875
be the music, not the scene
Quote by cfhwarhead
well you probably dont have lots to spend and since your beginner you probably dont know much of tone. there is no reason you cant get something but > would advise you to wait for your ear for tone to fill before buying so you know what you want and that sort

+1
10/7/07- Van Halen
3/16/08- Iron Maiden
1/9/09- AC/DC
7/8/09- Judas Priest
11/10/09- Metallica
7/3/10- Iron Maiden
7/24/10- Rush
4/15/11- Rush-

Quote by LordBishek
with a penis as small as mine, I don't have a very humorous take on the world.
I guess your asking if at all of 4 months you are ready to go spend a bunch of money on a head and cab. Are you gigging in arenas? Then very doubtful you will be needing a 100 watt any time soon. IF you were in a band doing shows then maybe you might think of getting one. The saying "dont put the cart before the horse" comes to mind. If you had a 100 watt amp you wont be able to run it any louder in your house than a 30 watt. You could but not without hearing damage or the police coming for a visit.
In my opinion, you should wait just a little longer. There are a couple reasons that I say this.

Firstly, becase I completely understand how you must feel. I've been playing guitar for 4 years now and I too remember that feeling when I was just beggining on the guitar. You might want to move forward just a little too fast, but that's not always the best method despite the momentum that moving forward and learning more about the guitar can bring. If you wait, then you'll truly know whether of not you'll need the more expensive setup. Who knows, you may find out guitar isn't for you. You might want to try bass or drums, and who knows, maybe that will really take off and then you're stuck with an expensive amp that ended up costing you too much to buy another instrument setup.

Secondly, if you do happen to be playing in a house-type location like a bedroom or basement, it may be best to wait until you have a practice space where you'll be able to crank that amp up without worry of complaints from neighbors, family, room mates, stuff like that. Those half stack's can really pump out the volume, even more than you might think if you've never played on one before.

Thirdly, if you're still at the "practicing on your own" phase, you just might choose to wait until you find a band that you can play with or at least some buddies to jam with on a regular basis. When you're in that type of situation, the whole sound dynamic changes and using just a small practice amp may leave you drowned out by the other instruments (trust me, drummers make ALOT of noise).

And lastly, make sure that you are commited to music. If you're not quite sure that you're going to need the hardware, then don't buy it until you are. Half stacks can be pretty pricey, depending on the quality, style, and sound of course. If you really do love music and think you're at that point where you are in the right situation to do it, then do it.

Like I said, this is just my opinion, but they are some crucial factors to consider before you spend the money. I'm not saying you have to agree with my opinion. By all means, if you think you're ready and you think it's the right the decision, then take the plunge. No one makes the decisions for you, except for you. Remember that. Good luck with the guitar and figuring out what the next step is!
Last edited by Punker 96 at Aug 7, 2008,
if you know tone go for it. if not, you could wait. id hate to see you get something that you think is nice now, develop your ear more in a few months or so, then realize you dont like it.