Ok, so I have a dilemma. I just bought a new Vox Valvetronix, and while I didn't notice it at the time of purchase, it has no "line in".

I'm kind of lost without a line in. I often play late at night, and have to use headphones. My old amp had a line in and line out. So I'd plug my computer or Ipod into it, and play along with tunes. It was awesome.

Unfortunately I can't do that anymore. So I'm wondering, is there any "thing" you can buy to get a second output into the headphones? See bellow diagram for a better explanation:

AMP ------>
_____________"Thingy" -------> headphones
Ipod ----->

So basically, some device that I could plug both the amp, and a music source into, and it would output both channels to headphones. (something with stereo sound for the MP3 channel would be exceptionally sweet)

Any ideas on the best way to accomplish this?

Thanks,

Matt
any Y connector with the appropriate jacks should work to combine them but im not 100% sure the amp will like 2 signals through one input.
I've used a signal splitter to put two 1/4" inputs into the amp so I could have my buddy play on it the same time as me, saves bringing another amp over. Now the effects on your amp would effect the music as well so putting it on the headphone side would work better.
Quote by mattvl
I've used a signal splitter to put two 1/4" inputs into the amp so I could have my buddy play on it the same time as me, saves bringing another amp over. Now the effects on your amp would effect the music as well so putting it on the headphone side would work better.

Putting it on the headphone side? I'm not sure I follow.
Quote by 0KEN0
Putting it on the headphone side? I'm not sure I follow.

He doesn't know what he is talking about. Nevermind him.
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
Mesa Boogie 2ch Triple Rectifier
2 1x12 custom Theile cabs
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
I don't know the quality of them but Tascam makes MP3 trainers... basically an iPod that you can plug your guitar into and jam along with the music... but it lets you slow down the music without changing pitch and all that fancy stuff.

Like I said, I have no clue if they are good or not and it will put a $200 dent in your wallet...
So I thought, why not use the computer as the middle man. I ran the output from the amp, to the input on the computer, and then listened to both music and the amp through headphone plugged into the computer.

The only problem is, the Valvtronix seem to have pretty weak headphone output. With the volume cranked on the amp, and the PC's volume cranked, the volume's still not very high. I have to my music down pretty low to get over top of it.

Anyone know if there's any way to boost the amps output signal (possibly with software)?

Thanks,

Matt
Quote by 0KEN0
So I thought, why not use the computer as the middle man. I ran the output from the amp, to the input on the computer, and then listened to both music and the amp through headphone plugged into the computer.

The only problem is, the Valvtronix seem to have pretty weak headphone output. With the volume cranked on the amp, and the PC's volume cranked, the volume's still not very high. I have to my music down pretty low to get over top of it.

Anyone know if there's any way to boost the amps output signal (possibly with software)?

Thanks,

Matt

Open the volume control panel, and look at the record volume settings. Make sure the volume for the input you have the amp plugged into is turned up. In XP you open the volume control panel, click on the "Options" menu, select "Properties", and then select the "Recording" radio button. This will present you with the recording (i.e., input) sliders, rather than the output (i.e., playback) sliders.

If you want a simpler option that doesn't require all that stuff, get a Vox amPlug. It's a tiny box that plugs into your guitar jack, and it simulates (to some degree) the sound of a Vox amp. It's got a headphone jack and aux inputs for CD or MP3 player. They make one for classic rock, one for metal, and one that's an AC30 simulator.
Quote by 0KEN0
Ok, so I have a dilemma. I just bought a new Vox Valvetronix, and while I didn't notice it at the time of purchase, it has no "line in".

I'm kind of lost without a line in. I often play late at night, and have to use headphones. My old amp had a line in and line out. So I'd plug my computer or Ipod into it, and play along with tunes. It was awesome.

Unfortunately I can't do that anymore. So I'm wondering, is there any "thing" you can buy to get a second output into the headphones? See bellow diagram for a better explanation:

AMP ------>
_____________"Thingy" -------> headphones
Ipod ----->

So basically, some device that I could plug both the amp, and a music source into, and it would output both channels to headphones. (something with stereo sound for the MP3 channel would be exceptionally sweet)

Any ideas on the best way to accomplish this?

Thanks,

Matt

SAME THING! I was gonna get it only to realise it doesnt have Line in. Does anyone have a cheap and easy solutions??