My friend and I have have been having arguments about these things. To be honest I find them dead sexy and hella fun to play on, and the limited buzz is great. I also find moving around on them to be much easier, and not having that annoying sliding noise when I switch frets makes me feel so much better about my playing.

My friend argues, however, that they're just not good in terms of playing bright songs and slapping. He swears by roundwounds and won't play a bass that has flatwounds on them. I still only have roundwounds on mine, and I'd be all for getting the flatwounds, but is what he says true? I play bright songs and love to crank the tone knob and solo/slap.

I also do some regular straight bass playing, moreso than my outlandish playing. For gigs I'm always the back-up man with no solos.
Quote by top shelf

I couldn't do it [masturbate] with the cast on however. That's when I dug out my baby sister's stuffed animals and went to town

Quote by Tubyboulin
Is it bad that I imagined you saying that in a really sexy voice?
Flats generally do not have a bright sound. But there ARE bright flats. They wont be like roundwound bright, but they are bright. In fact, the strings you are getting are pretty bright flatwounds.

EDIT: Oh, damn I guess they are Tapewounds, not flats..........listen to thefitz, not me XD
STUFF
MOD Contest Group
Resisting the Urge to Fap since 8/11/08
However, I lost in 3 days.
Quote by Hobolad

Guns don't help defense, they make you more vulnerable if anything. Said this a lot already

Last edited by bassnguitar at Aug 7, 2008,
Wait, you're talking about tapewounds. Have you ever played them? The difference between flats and tapes is 100x more pronounced than the difference between flats and rounds. With tapes, there's absolutely no treble, a huge amount of attack, and about 0 sustain.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Quote by thefitz
Wait, you're talking about tapewounds. Have you ever played them? The difference between flats and tapes is 100x more pronounced than the difference between flats and rounds. With tapes, there's absolutely no treble, a huge amount of attack, and about 0 sustain.

Well, I was basing what I knew about the strings on guides on flatwounds and from personal experience playing it. I never tried slapping or playing crazy solos on them because it was a kid's bass who i didn't really know. I wasn't aware they were entirely different from flatwounds

So... Bad choice for solo bass? Good choice for just playing a gig?
Quote by top shelf

I couldn't do it [masturbate] with the cast on however. That's when I dug out my baby sister's stuffed animals and went to town

Quote by Tubyboulin
I think their main goal is to emulate an upright, so very little sustain and very deep, booming lows. If you want that kind of sound, go for it. For the most part, the workhorse string is just a simple nickle roundwound. They're bit warmer than steels and just lay back in the mix nicely. Although they're warmer, they can also go for that birght solo sound if you want it, with proper EQ.
I think you're misunderstanding me. I'm saying these 'black flatwounds' are very, very different than metal flatwounds. Your experience with normal flatwounds is totally irrelevant when considering the black ones.

Unless you are indeed talking about black ones - then don't mind me
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Quote by thefitz
I think you're misunderstanding me. I'm saying these 'black flatwounds' are very, very different than metal flatwounds. Your experience with normal flatwounds is totally irrelevant when considering the black ones.

Unless you are indeed talking about black ones - then don't mind me

I am talking of the Black Tapewounds. I have never played actual flatwounds, only these specific strings because my friend's friend was showing them off on his grandfather's bass

Regardless, the booming lows and low sustain would be perfect for my current playing situation. I usually get stuck with the boring bass parts, so I suppose I could simply finish refurbishing my old Harmony bass and string it up with tapewounds and use that as my background-bass, and just whip out the Zodiac with some bright roundwounds for when I have the need to solo.

Thanks for all the help though, glad I got the tapewound vs. roundwound confusion cleared up. I spent 20 minutes looking for the strings on Musiciansfriend and couldn't find them under flatwound, lo and behold when I started looking for tapewounds they were there. And at a 50% price drop than what my friend's friend paid, no less.
Quote by top shelf

Quote by Tubyboulin
Don't forget Rotosound isn't the only game in town for those strings. GHS (I think), LaBella, and Fender make them, among others. Some of them will be cheaper than the Rotos.

Fender also makes roundwound nylons! How that works I'll never know...
Quote by Cody_Grey102
There's not a chance I'll pass up Rotosounds for only $30.00.

I'll likely get around to trying the other strings as I go. Have to start somewhere though, right?
Quote by top shelf

Quote by Tubyboulin